Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKDOWN, U.S.A.

Started by Abnormal Palm, April 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

JamesTC

Never knew Graham Linehan was involved in American politics.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JamesTC on April 21, 2020, 02:39:25 PM
Never knew Graham Linehan was involved in American politics.

Gaham Linehan

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 19, 2020, 05:13:59 PM
Everyone is screwed by a minority choosing to disregard the lockdown, that is the entire dilemma of the last two months.

That's presupposing that there's evidence to support the idea that 'locking down' will effectively prevent deaths from the virus, which there isn't. Sweden and Japan haven't gone down that route and they don't have significantly higher death tolls than those countries which have. If a large proportion of people have already been exposed to the virus and have been asymptomatic, then 1) the virus is clearly relatively mild and 2) locking down is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted - the virus is already out there spreading among the population, and has been for longer than was initially believed.

The economic fallout from the lockdown will be far more damaging than the virus itself. Pointing that out doesn't make you a boomer capitalist only concerned about muh stonk market, it's recognizing that the poor will suffer the most from this in terms of health and living standards.

Fambo Number Mive

Sweden is much more spread out than the UK and has a much smaller population (10,330,456), so it's much easier to socially distance without a lockdown.

Not really sure re Japan - someone else will be able to explain.

Thomas

Buelligan

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on April 21, 2020, 02:59:42 PM
That's presupposing that there's evidence to support the idea that 'locking down' will effectively prevent deaths from the virus, which there isn't. Sweden and Japan haven't gone down that route and they don't have significantly higher death tolls than those countries which have. If a large proportion of people have already been exposed to the virus and have been asymptomatic, then 1) the virus is clearly relatively mild and 2) locking down is shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted - the virus is already out there spreading among the population, and has been for longer than was initially believed.

The economic fallout from the lockdown will be far more damaging than the virus itself. Pointing that out doesn't make you a boomer capitalist only concerned about muh stonk market, it's recognizing that the poor will suffer the most from this in terms of health and living standards.

Right now the French are taking care of the poor.  Right now, the Americans are not.  Both in lockdown.  Lockdown is not the reason the poor don't get support.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Check the guy's track record. Only appears to pipe up when there's opportunity to criticise the left. Seemingly trace interest in any other aspect of the site. Can be fairly written off as another agenda ghoul.

Quote from: Wanker Boomer of Kefaloniathe transgender fad.

Charming.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 21, 2020, 03:47:31 PM
Sweden is much more spread out than the UK and has a much smaller population (10,330,456), so it's much easier to socially distance without a lockdown.

Harikiri.

Consignia

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 21, 2020, 03:47:31 PM

Lying about cases to make sure the olympics go ahead.

Conspiracies aside, Japan's on a similar trajectory to West European countries and is in a full lockdown now.

Wonderful Butternut

Ok boomer.

Head Gardener

Cerys

Yesterday I encountered the phrase 'Branch Covidians' as a description of the protesters.

Twit 2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 21, 2020, 04:30:56 PM
Check the guy's track record. Only appears to pipe up when there's opportunity to criticise the left. Seemingly trace interest in any other aspect of the site. Can be fairly written off as another agenda ghoul.

Charming.

Indeed, he is another lumpen ultra-prick: can be safely filed with the other pant-shitters, who slide out of a crack in a wall when they sniff an opportunity to make a fool of themselves to people who, at best, pity them. Partially sated, they slither back gurning into their asbestos cavern until the next time they need to do truth farts in the face of sense.

monkfromhavana

There was something I saw on Facebook, can't credit it properly as I've forgotten where it was, but is was basically

"All these protesters who've spent years prepping, stockpiling food and weapons are now protesting the very thing they've been prepping for because they can't go to The Cheesecake Factory"

Buelligan

Yeah, dreadfully true.  But there's another thought there too. 

This is what happens to your account if you allow your leaders and your media, to convince your people that propaganda is fact and reality is not.  When you intentionally undermine the moral compass of a nation so's they'll nod through the carpet-bombing of families as God's work whilst pearl-clutching about women having abortions.  Who'll let people die of cancer in the street, whilst others suck jello and get another ass-lift. 

How can you expect people to be rational, to make reasoned judgments, when you've intentionally hidden their lodestone of decency from them for so long?

Head Gardener

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 22, 2020, 08:39:58 AM
There was something I saw on Facebook, can't credit it properly as I've forgotten where it was, but is was basically

"All these protesters who've spent years prepping, stockpiling food and weapons are now protesting the very thing they've been prepping for because they can't go to The Cheesecake Factory"

I think it neatly boils down to the middle American way ultimately being a culture of spending and consumption in order to present an image of security and superiority. Hard work demonstrated by accrued stuff rather than skill. If you can't work, you can't spend and if you can't spend, how can you demonstrate your worth?

So it's inevitable that, having spent all that money arming themselves to the teeth and stocking their panic rooms, that when the crisis does hit their immediate response is to try to purchase their way out of it.

Dewt

Yep. Consumption over expertise. Ignorance over elegance.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 22, 2020, 08:39:58 AM

I think there's a few of them about

idunnosomename

its more likely theyve just eaten their "10 months worth" of chili and twinkies in three weeks haha fat american idiots

monkfromhavana

I can't imagine many other countries where a large group of heavily armed men moseying into the city centre wouldn't elicit some kind of tactical military response.

dallasman

That's presupposing that there's evidence to support the idea that 'locking down' will effectively prevent deaths from the virus, which there isn't. Sweden and Japan haven't gone down that route and they don't have significantly higher death tolls than those countries which have.

Right now, Sweden's per capita death toll is 3x Denmark's, 5.6x Norway's, and 7.7x Finland's. But y'know, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Tegnell says the curve's nice and flat, so I guess we'll just wait and see who has the last laugh.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 22, 2020, 08:38:57 PM
I can't imagine many other countries where a large group of heavily armed men moseying into the city centre wouldn't elicit some kind of tactical military response.

Try being a black panther and doing it. That's what got rid of open carry in lots of states.

JamesTC