Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKDOWN, U.S.A.

Started by Abnormal Palm, April 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I've long ago given up thinking I know what Trump will do, but there are two options.

1/ Blame mail-in votes, which he is already starting to do, leave, but claim victory anyway.

2/ Nuclear option. Go the dictator route of ignoring the election and digging in. Has very little chance of actually working, but he might go for it.

Chedney Honks

LGA

Let's get ANTED

https://twitter.com/shesinscrubs/status/1284950366744989696?s=09

There's nothing graphic in that link but the reality is abysmal. The wealthiest nation on Earth. America has failed.

Dex Sawash

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

UK dropped a few tens of thousands in early July

Barry Admin

Maybe voting for that guy off that show wasn't the best idea.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 20, 2020, 06:25:15 AM
Nope, wording in Section 1 is specific (also it's the 20th amendment, sorry, I misremembered): "The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin."

Their terms end. The question is who takes over, not whether Trump and Pence will be in office. They will not. Section 4 of the amendment says Congress can decide, but the Dems will still have the House and IIRC there's a slim possibility they might get the Senate too (or at least a decent chunk of it) because of the number of Republicans up for reelection.

The easiest thing to do is just stick to the line of succession and have the president pro tempore of the Senate, Chuck Grassley, occupy a pre-agreed neutral placeholder position until an election can be held.

It does not clearly contemplate what would happen in the absence of an election. Any law professor acting like there is a definitive answer to this question is ignoring the naked partisanship of the Supreme Court. It is irrelevant what is most rational as long as there is any ambiguity whatsoever. One of the great media crimes in the US over the last fifty years is the almost nonexistent outcry (and erasure from memory) of the fact that the Supreme Court intervened to hand George W. Bush the 2000 election instead of allowing votes to be counted in a state that Gore actually won.

In theory Congress could pass a fix during the lame duck interval if an election does not take place in November, but that is not going to happen given that McConnell controls the Senate (and even then they would have to override a Trump veto).

Quote from: Alberon on July 20, 2020, 12:29:51 PM
I've long ago given up thinking I know what Trump will do, but there are two options.

1/ Blame mail-in votes, which he is already starting to do, leave, but claim victory anyway.

2/ Nuclear option. Go the dictator route of ignoring the election and digging in. Has very little chance of actually working, but he might go for it.

I think the most likely outcome is #1 parlayed into Trump starting a new rival network to Fox, which is what he wanted to do in the first place back in 2015-16. For him the last four years and the untold misery they have wreaked will have just been a laugh while he got to play dress up between rounds of golf.

bgmnts

Haha that interview Trump did on Fox recently was manic. A man who quite literally doesn't have a clue about anything, has no ideas or understanding of global politics and is a serial failure running one of the biggest nations on earth, during a global pandemic. Combine that with obvious age related dementia and fuck me.

How is the US not even MORE fucked with Covid? God bless them for trying.

Chedney Honks

Can I just draw attention again to the hospital in Texas were FUCKING ANTS were coming out of a corpse and walking all over the bodies and into mouths of living patients because the nurses didn't have time to clean them off or remove cadavers?

My best mate lives in Texas and he's shielding because of lifelong horrendous asthma. Guy is shitting his self rn. Texas is beyond Lombardy tier. Total cuntdown. Exponential grave raper. Now he needs to consider that ANTS will be inhabiting his living body and frothing out of his corpse like so much regurgitated cod roe!

Mr Banlon

In a few days it'll be : "I was telling everyone to wear masks from the start."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1285299379746811915

Zetetic

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 20, 2020, 09:23:22 PM
Can I just draw attention again to the hospital in Texas were FUCKING ANTS were coming out of a corpse and walking all over the bodies and into mouths of living patients because the nurses didn't have time to clean them off or remove cadavers?
There's literally no evidence that ants are bad for COVID-19.

Captain Z

It's a good thing if they've developed anty bodies.

bgmnts

"We have the greatest ants in the world."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ants or nae ants, US rolling average for new cases has never been higher and deaths the last 2 days have been the worst since May 28th.

On the plus side the demise of the nation as we know it would be a good thing. Get out from under.

chveik

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2020, 06:44:58 AM
On the plus side the demise of the nation as we know it would be a good thing. Get out from under.

do you seriously believe this? it's not going to change anything geopolitically, and poor people in the US will suffer even more than before.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Well, right now it is extremely obvious that the USA as a nation doesn't work structurally, even before getting into any other objections, and isn't on an upwards but downwards trajectory with minor pauses in that. All of the corporate actors and private interests who ensure this only gain power and influence as time goes on.

So it's a choice between certainty of things getting worse long term forever trapped or the opportunity to do things differently.

To use one example the opportunity for someone on low income to be able to be covered for healthcare. Right now the stars and stripes may be glueing it all together but the time is surely coming when for enough people what matters is delivery of basic services and rights.

Were the African wars of independence unjustified on account of the fact that suffering during and after was inevitable?

Blue Jam

OPERATION GARY:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53507660

I don't know about you, but I can only see this ending really really well.

steveh

Philadelphia saying they will prosecute DHS forces if they commit criminal acts sounds like it could turn nasty: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-22/philly-d-a-threatens-to-arrest-federal-agents.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2020, 07:08:56 AM

To use one example the opportunity for someone on low income to be able to be covered for healthcare. Right now the stars and stripes may be glueing it all together but the time is surely coming when for enough people what matters is delivery of basic services and rights.

It will happen, most Americans want universal healthcare. We didn't have it before 1948 and it was just accepted that you were billed for your healthcare and if you were poor you had to suck it up/die. Unthinkable now. It's the main reason I made no effort to remain living in the US, that constant fear of ending up bankrupt through no fault of my own.

Ferris

I won't repost my boring prose, but you can't put federal troops outside of their jurisdiction and just let them go ham. It violates 3 amendments I know of (though I'm sure there are more constitutional issues I just don't know about), as well as violating an act of Congress and well established US law.

I don't understand why this isn't causing outrage everywhere in the US. The UK doesn't really have an equivalent clash between federal/state's power, so to put it in context it is like the tactical unit of MI6 being dropped in Carlisle without anyone being notified and they're battering old people with impunity.

Ferris

...and also being filmed battering old people with impunity, and the current PM is saying "yes, it is good that those old people are being battered" during an election year while running on a law and order campaign.

It is all just monstrous stuff. I've mentioned it on here but I had inclinations on moving to the US for a few years after becoming a Canadian citizen, just for the life experience more than anything. That can absolutely get to fuck now. Doubt we'll be going there for a long time.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2020, 12:45:18 PM
I won't repost my boring prose, but you can't put federal troops outside of their jurisdiction and just let them go ham. It violates 3 amendments I know of (though I'm sure there are more constitutional issues I just don't know about), as well as violating an act of Congress and well established US law.

I don't understand why this isn't causing outrage everywhere in the US. The UK doesn't really have an equivalent clash between federal/state's power, so to put it in context it is like the tactical unit of MI6 being dropped in Carlisle without anyone being notified and they're battering old people with impunity.

because most Americans with any political or societal clout are comfortable bootlicking hypocrites who are happy to give up any amount of liberty in order to feel safe from the threat of the poors and the commie anarchists.

i've seen many lib morons begging people to stop protesting the feds in Portland because it's giving Trump good footage for his campaign ads and people are being taken advantage of by violent agitators. absolute donkey brains.

MojoJojo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2020, 12:45:18 PM

I do wonder if this might backfire and turn Trump's base against him. Their unwavering support of Trump, no matter what he does, has always been his greatest strength. But they are wedded to state independence, and he's ordering federal troops into states against those states wishes.

Probably too hopeful though. Red state haven't commented yet, but they'll come up with some way to justify it.

Ferris

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 23, 2020, 02:10:09 PM
I do wonder if this might backfire and turn Trump's base against him. Their unwavering support of Trump, no matter what he does, has always been his greatest strength. But they are wedded to state independence, and he's ordering federal troops into states against those states wishes.

Probably too hopeful though. Red state haven't commented yet, but they'll come up with some way to justify it.

I think anyone dim enough to still support trump is along for the long haul, regardless of the civil liberties they have to overlook on the way.

Imagine if Obama was doing 10% of this. Pardoning his mates for not testifying against him in federal probes, sending troops to squash the rights of protestors, attempting to buy Greenland. He'd be toast.

Gulftastic

Imagine if Hilary had won with a 3million deficit in the votes and Russian help. There would be no such place as the USA by now.