Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The quite pleasant homes of the rich and funny

Started by c, April 19, 2020, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c

There seems to be a lot of confusing the art with the artist going on these days - people deciding Louis CK was never funny because of wankbeast etc. It's obviously not only on this site, but an increasing thing that happens in the wider culture. I'm not up for it, personally, but I know a lot of CaBBers are.

So this is my question. Does knowing that this is Bob Mortimer's house change the way you think about Bob?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3390284

I know it shouldn't. But does it?

[Source: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/jail-for-man-found-with-tv-star-a10049/]

Mister Six

No. I'm delighted if Bob has done well enough to have that house. Although I don't know how someone with a BBC telly career could have enough money to buy somewhere like that.

More upset at this photo, which is surely the worst pic of Bob that can possibly exist:

Mister Six

Pink Gregory

Would rather Bob Mortimer have it than someone who causes misery.

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Bob Mortimer is the only reason I still laugh so no. It's a shame he would live in a such a massive garish monstrosity whilst homelessness is rife but ho hum.

It's not like he's going around sticking his knob in women's faces without consent like.

c

Captain Z

QuoteLuckie, formerly of Christchurch Road, Ashford, and now of Tennyson Avenue, Canterbury, denied the allegations saying "Ah coulda nicked it, but ah didn't".

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: c on April 19, 2020, 03:12:06 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusing the art with the artist going on these days - people deciding Louis CK was never funny because of wankbeast etc.

I've seen people say he's not funny any more (myself included), but I haven't seen anyone suggest he was never funny. I mean I imagine there might be one or two, but I don't think it's in any way the majority.

QuoteSo this is my question. Does knowing that this is Bob Mortimer's house change the way you think about Bob?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3390284

I know it shouldn't. But does it?

[Source: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/jail-for-man-found-with-tv-star-a10049/]

Add me to the no's, I'll never understand the need to own somewhere so huge but given the joy he's brought me and millions of others over the years if it makes him happy I don't have any issue with it in the slightest.

Annie Labuntur

The problem I have with Mortimer is he still hasn't returned my lawnmower.

I guess advertising paid for that house, from the days when companies were throwing silly money at comedians.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_and_Bob#Advertising

Jockice

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 19, 2020, 03:31:25 PM
Would rather Bob Mortimer have it than someone who causes misery.

Indeed. I wouldn't even describe myself as a big Reeves and Mortimer fan but good luck to them.

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

I'm surprised it's quite so big, unnecessarily so. But not that bothered. I'd think differently if his comedy was served on a leftwing platform though.

Cuellar

I thought he lived in Market Harborough? Or is that an Athletico Mince joke?

imitationleather

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Not bothered, personally peaking, it just doesn't suit him. I could imagine Vic Reeves in it because he's always been the insecure one. Bob is meant to be the 'not bothered' sort who isn't into all that lark and carry on. It does put his brand into question - like finding out David Attenborough lives in a cold brittle apartment with all futuristic slots and buttons. It shouldn't matter, but it does.

Then again, I haven't found any of Athletico Mince funny and I don't watch the panel shows he's on, so I'm probably not the person to ask.

metaltax

The original article is from 2003, whereas this one from 2015 (and others I've found) have him living in Tunbridge Wells: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/tunbridge-wells/news/kent-comedian-undergoes-heart-surgery-45434/, and explicitly state that Vic (still) lives in Charing, so if he did own that place once then he doesn't anymore.

Nah, good for Bob. And the fact the news site went with an overly-zoomed-in, out-of-date and in-character photo of him is funny as fuck.

studpuppet

That house is fucking mint. Shows either he or his missus has the taste to buy a house with history instead some new-build professional footballer's monstrosity. Also - it was £2m in 2002 which looks like a steal. Reckon he probably had a central London flat/house that he would have made a healthy profit on, plus a lump sum from ten years of Shooting Stars and R&M Meat Products.

One more thing (and I know this from first-hand family experience): taking on a large house like that means lots of work for local tradesmen, and the pressure to make any repairs or changes sympathetically to the fabric of the building, means it's more of a responsibility than a pleasure. If he doesn't live there any more, then I hope he enjoyed himself while he was there, and that owning it didn't contribute to his heart problems.

idunnosomename

i think it last sold in 2002 so I guess he does still own it? I've been to Charing, it straddles the M20, very desirable. this house has a medieval core, the dutch gables are 19th century. if you take on a grade I house like this you're doing it because you appreciate the building (because you can basically do fuck all to it). i'd think less of him if he had a McMansion

famethrowa

There was a recent vid of Weird Al on the balcony/terrace of his fancy house, LA I think, obviously a huge gaff with an amazing view. Now normally I'd instantly call to guillotine the rich, but no, that guy definitely deserves all the riches he has.

Unless it was someone else's place and he lives in a slum, then whatevs

Shaky

Quote from: c on April 19, 2020, 03:12:06 PM
There seems to be a lot of confusing the art with the artist going on these days - people deciding Louis CK was never funny because of wankbeast etc. It's obviously not only on this site, but an increasing thing that happens in the wider culture.

As SMBH says, I'm pretty sure nobody has suddenly decided Louis was "never funny"...and certainly not on this site. Lots of people saying they find it hard to enjoy his past work now, mind, which is a very different thing and a fair enough stance to take.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shaky on April 20, 2020, 04:40:15 AM
As SMBH says, I'm pretty sure nobody has suddenly decided Louis was "never funny"...and certainly not on this site. Lots of people saying they find it hard to enjoy his past work now, mind, which is a very different thing and a fair enough stance to take.

Exactly. He was one of my 5 favourite standups ever, but when you go back and watch his stuff now knowing what we now know, when he tells a story about showing his dick to a girl with Downs Syndrome, the material is a lot harder to enjoy and to separate the art from the artist. That's why I don't watch his old stuff anymore.

dissolute ocelot

He's going to be creating a lot of jobs for local skilled craftsmen and tradespeople with that kind of house, it's not like buying a super yacht and staffing it with bosomy Russian teenagers for $2 an hour.

Quote from: famethrowa on April 20, 2020, 04:39:06 AM
Now normally I'd instantly call to guillotine the rich

Can i ask why you have this view? Not trying to be arsey, just curious.