Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The quite pleasant homes of the rich and funny

Started by c, April 19, 2020, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

You started a thread about houses and you didn't think of Bob Hope?  Have a word:

https://www.cactushugs.com/the-bob-hope-palm-springs-house-everything-you-need-to-know/

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on April 19, 2020, 04:30:28 PM
Jim Davidson has done alright for himself too.

Bit cruel using Iain Lee's house. 

famethrowa

Quote from: Special K on April 20, 2020, 11:22:34 AM
Can i ask why you have this view? Not trying to be arsey, just curious.

just hyperbole

jobotic

I only watched Louis CK once before the Wankbeastery was known about and I found it pretty tedious. He went on about men being rendered insensible by the sight of tits. Amazing stuff.

So am better than you.

If it was him. Pretty sure it was.

Quote from: Captain Crunch on April 20, 2020, 01:45:00 PM
Bit cruel using Iain Lee's house.

The "Celebrity Style" article in Architectural Digest said it was Davidson's but it's an American publication and they've got it wrong in the past.

bgmnts

Quote from: Special K on April 20, 2020, 11:22:34 AM
Can i ask why you have this view? Not trying to be arsey, just curious.

Because nobody deserves to be immensely wealthy at the expense of others?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: famethrowa on April 20, 2020, 04:39:06 AM
There was a recent vid of Weird Al on the balcony/terrace of his fancy house, LA I think, obviously a huge gaff with an amazing view. Now normally I'd instantly call to guillotine the rich, but no, that guy definitely deserves all the riches he has.

Thought bomb: the rich may well have earnt their houses too. Probably more work put into the average stately home than mucking about on panel shows.

ollyboro

Quote from: Mister Six on April 19, 2020, 03:28:05 PM
No. I'm delighted if Bob has done well enough to have that house. Although I don't know how someone with a BBC telly career could have enough money to buy somewhere like that.

More upset at this photo, which is surely the worst pic of Bob that can possibly exist:

They've got rooms up at the Sea View. If that's no good we'll try the one near the Prophylactic Emporium.

beanheadmcginty

This explains why Vic and Bob's production company was called Pett Productions. I'd always assumed it was because people from their neck of woods call each other "pet".

ColinPopshed

Can't say if Bob ever lived there, but he doesn't now - he lives a few minutes walk from me. In one of a row of very nice houses on a nice road, but nothing like that.

Icehaven

I'm happy for someone like Bob Mortimer to have/have had a home like that but as others have said I'm also surprised, not only that he could afford it but that he'd want to. Maybe it's just evidence of how insane property prices have become in the last few decades but £2 million seems both a ridiculous amount to pay for a home yet surprisingly low for that place, even considering it was 18 years ago.

On the entire topic though I suppose a large part of many comedians' appeal/shtick is being relatable, which it's harder to be once their income and living conditions become significantly better than the vast majority of their audience, but as long as they can keep the act up it won't matter to most people. There's a comment to be made about Ben Elton here but I don't quite know enough about him to make it, but you probably do.

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on April 20, 2020, 07:38:01 PM
Thought bomb: the rich may well have earnt their houses too. Probably more work put into the average stately home than mucking about on panel shows.

And if the poor would only work a bit harder they too could live in fuck off big houses.
Come on the poor, work a bit harder!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on April 20, 2020, 06:43:00 PM
Because nobody deserves to be immensely wealthy at the expense of others?

How's it at the expense of others though? The comedians get the money to pay for these big houses because whatever they did generated money from a lot of people who funded it because they liked it.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on April 20, 2020, 07:38:01 PM

buzby

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 20, 2020, 08:44:44 PM
This explains why Vic and Bob's production company was called Pett Productions. I'd always assumed it was because people from their neck of woods call each other "pet".
Pett Productions was dissolved in 2015. Bob's company is now Pett Television Ltd (Jim is not involved). As previously stated by others in the thread, Bob seems to have moved out of Pett Place in 2002, possibly as a result of the burglary. His correspondence address is now listed as this house near Ashford (though it was sold again in 2015 so that might be out of date):

Jim moved from Romney House in Charing to this converted schoolhouse in Sandway near Maidstone in 2003 (which he bought off Tom Baker when he moved to France), but sold it in 2006 as Nancy was pregnant with their twin daughters and it wasn't suitable. It seems they moved back to a different house in Charing then.

Brundle-Fly

Where was Jim living when he was in that 1997 Paul Morley V&B documentary. I rather liked his garden where he was describing his comedy influences by distance to himself.

buzby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 23, 2020, 06:19:31 PM
Where was Jim living when he was in that 1997 Paul Morley V&B documentary. I rather liked his garden where he was describing his comedy influences by distance to himself.
The one where he half-buried his Austin Somerset in the grounds? That was in Aldington in Kent, a 25-acre farm that overlooked Romney Marsh, He moved from there to Romney House in Charing when he and his first wife Sarah split in 1999 after she started having an affair with the interior designer who they had hired to renovate it. Paul O'Grady bought it from Jim for £650,000 and set up his animal sanctuary there.

Julian Clary lives in Aldington too, in Noel Coward's former home Goldenhurst Farm which he bought on O'Grady's recommendation:.

Alan Carr also lives in Aldington, in the farm next door to Clary.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 23, 2020, 12:11:33 PM
How's it at the expense of others though? The comedians get the money to pay for these big houses because whatever they did generated money from a lot of people who funded it because they liked it.

That's still expense. Expenditure.

Also worth remembering that just because someone pays for something doesn't make that consumer choice a crystalline moment of pure independent thought.

beanheadmcginty

What I've learnt from this thread is that all comedians live in Kent. As a Kentish man that makes me proud. INVICTA.

Salty_fries

Am also Kentish, Jim moved into a house in my seaside town about two years ago, far more modest than all of the houses posted in this thread. Rumors are spreading through town that Noel Fielding is also thinking of moving in somewhere round here too.

jobotic

Bound to be Whitstable?

Man of Kentish Man too, but no comedians I know of live in this bit.

Quote from: jobotic on April 24, 2020, 12:27:02 AM
Man of Kentish Man too
i can never remember if I'm a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man, but living between Canterbury and Folkestone, and with a sort of comedy career, though now largely behind me.  Oh!  I've remembered another- Mark Heap was living in Deal until a few years ago (and of course Charles Hawtrey as well, but that really was a good few years back.)

Petey Pate

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2020, 11:09:04 PM

Also worth remembering that just because someone pays for something doesn't make that consumer choice a crystalline moment of pure independent thought.

Wait, you're saying that people who paid money to enjoy their favourite comedians have been exploited due to outside pressure? C'mon dude...

Cuellar

Why on earth do so many people with, presumably, money and the ability to choose, live in Kent?

If I hadn't fallen and broken a rib I'd go outside and take a photo to show you.  Obviously, e.g. Gillingham, Sittingbourne and (much of) Dover are awful, but out in the villages where I am, it can be (and currently is) glorious.

Also good travel links to London and proximity to Eurostar in Ashford.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2020, 11:09:04 PM

Yeah, totally. I'm forever forking out to go to gigs I have no interest in. If only there were some alternative 'choice'.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 24, 2020, 11:33:24 AM
Also good travel links to London and proximity to Eurostar in Ashford.
Yes. Charing, Romney, Sandway etc. are very close to Ashford (which would be mostly used for getting into London via the Javelins on HS1 I expect).