Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Smoking In Comedy

Started by Excellent_Biscuits, April 20, 2020, 06:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: weaseldust on April 20, 2020, 01:03:49 PM

Yeah I came here to post this. Fucking amazing performance (as is pretty much everything Matt Johnson has done), just completely stupid. The closing scene of that episode where he's on about torturing the varnish guy by shoving a red hot poker up his ass, the way he simulates it with the cigarette absolutely slays me. God I love that show so much.

Petey Pate

Conor O'Malley's smokes 500 cigarettes to raise awareness for 5G.

https://youtu.be/87_4nHEPHyU

dissolute ocelot

In classic Hollywood they taught a man how to smoke. Tony Curtis (here assisting Janet Leigh).

Brundle-Fly

There was an Edinburgh Fringe poster I really liked from about fifteen years ago. I can't remember the comedian but the image was of him looking smoulderingly into the lense, maybe adjusting a cufflink and he has a cigarette balanced neatly on his bottom lip, like a hard-boiled detective. It's saying "I'm cool and edgy, deal with it." until on closer inspection you notice he's got the cigarette the wrong way round.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 20, 2020, 12:01:31 PM
He hadn't, but Robinson made him get drunk before they started shooting so he knew how it felt. Made him terribly sick but I guess it was worth it.

The other contributing factor to his iconic performance that made him such a convincing desperate miserabilist was that he tragically lost his first child, his father and father-in-law during the making of Withnail & I. It must be extremely tough for an actor to have that big career break and arguably the role that has defined him to be tainted so. He will always associate it with the bleakest time of his life.

Marner and Me

Quote from: kalowski on April 21, 2020, 07:49:03 AM
God, Leary was terrible.
Are American comedians actually funny?

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 12:17:19 PM
There was an Edinburgh Fringe poster I really liked from about fifteen years ago. I can't remember the comedian but the image was of him looking smoulderingly into the lense, maybe adjusting a cufflink and he has a cigarette balanced neatly on his bottom lip, like a hard-boiled detective. It's saying "I'm cool and edgy, deal with it." until on closer inspection you notice he's got the cigarette the wrong way round.

It's an effect that doesn't really work when you're someone who ordinarily thinks that smoking looks as dunderheaded as all fuck.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Replies From View on April 21, 2020, 10:54:44 PM
It's an effect that doesn't really work when you're someone who ordinarily thinks that smoking looks as dunderheaded as all fuck.

Maybe, that comedian did as well? Everybody wins.