Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If this continues to go on for a while, will it shape entertainment.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 21, 2020, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

At the moment the short term idea for people whose lives are reasonably serene through all this, there are vast amounts of things to catch up on through the likes of Netflix etc.

But if this goes on long enough it could fuck up filming schedules meaning no new things can be produced. I remember things getting delayed to the writers strikes in the 2000's. I think some soaps are cutting back to make their reserves last longer.

Will there be a shift to animation? Will the film industry start promoting older films to new generations?

ajsmith2

There's also the problem of how do new shows meant to be set in the present (as the majority are, naturally) react to presenting everyday life? Do they show a new lockdown normality and risk looking instantly and weirdly dated in six months or do they..  well I don't know what else they could do as cut downs on unnecessary social contact has put the kibosh on conventional programme making featuring more than a couple of people interacting. CGI effects and Princess Leia in The Rise Of Skywalker style reaction shots for scenes featuring more than one person?

Sebastian Cobb

Coronation Street but it's just Steve Mcdonald gurning at other cast members on zoom.

Captain Crunch

The Archers are introducing the virus from 4th May which I think is about two months behind real life?  In some ways it would have been more plausible for things just to carry on as normal.  Or as normal as you get in a show where nothing ever happens ever. 

Sebastian Cobb

Radio innit. Most of the actors probably have professional voiceover equipment at home so it can be submitted and edited pretty easily.

I'm becoming quite fascinated in how broadcast standards are being allowed to slip to continue to make content. And also how passable consumer equipment can be under the right conditions.

I suppose a lot of them will be getting dslrs and the like.

idunnosomename

the archers had them all meeting talking about the build up to Easter fair, they made a complete fucking balls of it. considering the whole point of it is to interpolate recent countryside issues.

they're supposed to being doing character soliloquies to get round the virus, but the characters are so paper-thin with such terrible dialogue it's going to be a disaster. cant wait

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 21, 2020, 12:11:20 PM
the archers had them all meeting talking about the build up to Easter fair, they made a complete fucking balls of it. considering the whole point of it is to interpolate recent countryside issues.

they're supposed to being doing character soliloquies to get round the virus, but the characters are so paper-thin with such terrible dialogue it's going to be a disaster. cant wait

They should still to be do natural conversations with a bit of editing. You just record both sides of a conversation professionally taking place over conferencing software and stitch it together. It's done for podcasts and was done in the reel-to-reel tape days with transatlantic phonecalls.

Dewt

If COVID takes Avalon out then it's all been worthwhile. Sorry Nana but you played a vital part in taking down Jimmy Carr.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 21, 2020, 12:17:30 PM
If COVID takes Avalon out then it's all been worthwhile. Sorry Nana but you played a vital part in taking down Jimmy Carr.

It's gotten Liz Kershaw off of 6music as well.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
They should still to be do natural conversations with a bit of editing. You just record both sides of a conversation professionally taking place over conferencing software and stitch it together. It's done for podcasts and was done in the reel-to-reel tape days with transatlantic phonecalls.

It's even easy with filmed stuff, just keep the camera in the one position and have the actors do each part in turn, then stitch them together. As long as they're not physically interacting with each other it's unnoticeable. Obviously limits things a bit though.

A lot of DIY filmmakers use this technique to have several different people in a scene even though they're playing all the parts themselves wearing different clothes, masks, etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 21, 2020, 12:20:01 PM
It's even easy with filmed stuff, just keep the camera in the one position and have the actors do each part in turn, then stitch them together. As long as they're not physically interacting with each other it's unnoticeable. Obviously limits things a bit though.

A lot of DIY filmmakers use this technique to have several different people in a scene even though they're playing all the parts themselves wearing different clothes, masks, etc.

I guess the biggest tell there would be the lighting and colour balance varying between people's different home setups.  Still fixable I suppose.

ajsmith2

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 21, 2020, 12:20:01 PM

I remember complaints on here about some of the pub scenes in the later series of Still Game looking suspiciously like they were stitched together using this method.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2020, 12:21:40 PM
I guess the biggest tell there would be the lighting and colour balance varying between people's different home setups.  Still fixable I suppose.

What I mean is have one location with a locked down camera, get one actor to come in and do their part then they leave and the other actor comes in and does theirs. You could do it all separately but as you say even the slightest lighting/colour balance difference can be a giveaway.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Crunch on April 21, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
They've been quite free and easy with the photos if you want a nose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2yBMJcnzNJdn7vMcPFnd5tl/archers-actors-record-at-home-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic

Same headphones and mics in that so you can tell auntie has sent them a 'broadcast from home' box.

I think 6 music must've done similar as the regulars and musicians were able to do shows from immediately while guests like Cerys Matthews were off for a bit.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 21, 2020, 12:25:33 PM
I remember complaints on here about some of the pub scenes in the later series of Still Game looking suspiciously like they were stitched together using this method.

It should look fine but one giveaway is if the actors aren't looking in the right place in relation to where the other actor is.

Here's an example at 48:00 of a home movie maker creating a scene that looks like 5 different people, but it's actually just him playing each part. Doing "fake" camera movements in post production adds to the illusion.

https://youtu.be/6WwPI2O_hNo?t=2881

BritishHobo

Hollyoaks had clearly splashed out the other week and filmed a big 'on location' episode where some of the characters go to a funfair in Merseyside and get beaten up on a cliff. All sweeping shots of beaches and stuff. Just looked like the characters were being irresponsible berks.

What happens if you're writing a big state-of-the-nation set 'in the present day'? All about immigration or Brexit or whatever. Now you have to fucking add loads of shit about coronavirus or your novel's trapped in the past. You can't have your characters not reference the fact that we've all had to self-isolate for months can you you fucking HACK

touchingcloth

They could just dub snippets from old episodes and cobble them together into something new. An entire week's worth of Eastenders made up of dubbed snippets of episodes going back up to fifty years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 21, 2020, 12:42:52 PM
They could just dub snippets from old episodes and cobble them together into something new. An entire week's worth of Eastenders made up of dubbed snippets of episodes going back up to fifty years.

Like the pink panther after sellers died.

ajsmith2

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 21, 2020, 12:42:52 PM

Strange but true, but in fact Eastenders has only been around for 35 years. It just seems like forever.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2020, 11:53:37 AM
Will the film industry start promoting older films to new generations?

This, for the time being. Could be a good thing. A whole generation gets an education in the history of cinema and television. Lots of popular films/ tv are set in the past and. prints and sound will be cleaned up, so modern audiences won't have a problem with that. It's just pacing, old school acting and shonky spfx that a person under 20/30 years old might have to adjust to. Could they re-edit stuff? Re dub? Add spfx George Lucas style? Make a seventies movie seem like it was made this year?

God, now is weird. This should be a silly hypothetical thread not reality.

Dewt

Quote from: Captain Crunch on April 21, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
They've been quite free and easy with the photos if you want a nose:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2yBMJcnzNJdn7vMcPFnd5tl/archers-actors-record-at-home-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic
How the fuck are there so many young people in The Archers? I'd want to hear a bunch of old, used-up people if I was a fan of The Archers. Being all reminded of youth, horrible!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on April 21, 2020, 01:20:32 PM
How the fuck are there so many young people in The Archers? I'd want to hear a bunch of old, used-up people if I was a fan of The Archers. Being all reminded of youth, horrible!

Generally it's about the young people getting their comeuppance after stretching themselves too far in their ambitions. Stupid young people with their hopes and dreams, I love The Archers.

touchingcloth

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 21, 2020, 12:48:37 PM
Strange but true, but in fact Eastenders has only been around for 35 years. It just seems like forever.

Cut in some old Dr Who, then. I don't care, I won't be watching.

Surely for things like soaps they could just write stories which include people keeping their distance and interacting mainly via Zoom? Unless they want to take the approach The Archers did to Brexit and just not mention the 'rona.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 21, 2020, 12:49:44 PM
Coronation Street bosses 'panicking' at imminent prospect of running out of stockpiled episodes.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/18/coronation-street-bosses-panicking-like-mad-running-episodes-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-12574289/amp/

It's a no brainer for what the last episode should be before the show goes back into production. Ken Barlow has moved into a care home. Barlow dies alone of Covid-19. A bottle episode with just him as a talking head possibly even written by Alan Bennet. Bill Roache was retiring anyway, and could give the performance of his career. How poignant.  And topical.

Ken hazily recalls the time he made a board game that everyone remembers but nobody owns, before wetting himself for the final time.

notjosh

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2020, 11:53:37 AMWill there be a shift to animation? Will the film industry start promoting older films to new generations?

Should be a no-brainer this. They already did all the Indiana Jones films over the Easter break. They should replace all the big Saturday night primetime shows with proper family-friendly classics. Your Great Escapes, your Wizard Of Ozzes, your King Kongs of this world.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2020, 01:13:55 PM
This, for the time being. Could be a good thing. A whole generation gets an education in the history of cinema and television. Lots of popular films/ tv are set in the past and. prints and sound will be cleaned up, so modern audiences won't have a problem with that. It's just pacing, old school acting and shonky spfx that a person under 20/30 years old might have to adjust to. Could they re-edit stuff? Re dub? Add spfx George Lucas style? Make a seventies movie seem like it was made this year?

I was with you about it being good but hope none of the bold happens.