Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Half-Life VR but the AI is Self-Aware

Started by Tikwid, April 21, 2020, 01:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikwid

Been obsessed with this amazing semi-improv series lately. A runthrough of the original Half-Life in virtual reality, but with a voiced Gordon Freeman accompanied by an idiotic science team (as well as a passport-obsessed security guard and a skeleton that may or may not actually exist). It's not for everyone, it's a certain type of online humour rooted in the original games but it's absolutely hysterical at its best, and there's four whole acts (each one edited down from a full live stream) with multiple parts. Expaining it barely does it justice, so just start from the first part and let it transport you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDUYLDtC5Qw Hello, Gordon!

Clownbaby

"I'm younger than all three of you guys combined''

no_offenc

Hello, Gordon!

(I very much enjoyed the lot of this)

samadriel

Enormous crackup. I particularly like when the guard sings.

PlanktonSideburns

mrfridge

This is fucking brilliant! Is it genuinely all real-time, AI responses? If so we can do away with written comedy altogether. This is funnier than 95% of all comedy output from the last ten years. 

Dewt

Don't want to spoil the secret but at the same time don't want to act all dopey about it

RHX

I love the Half-Life series and thought this was brilliant. My wife has never played a Half-Life game (aside from a little bit of HL:Alyx) and loved it even more. Absolutely incredible.

Jim Bob

This is fantastic.  Some genuine laughs from me, watching this.

Quote from: mrfridge on April 27, 2020, 10:51:05 AM
Is it genuinely all real-time, AI responses?

Nah, the other characters in the group are controlled and voiced by other players.  The title of "the AI is Self-Aware" is merely the premise of the skit (unless somebody wants to correct me, but I'm 99% sure that's the case).

Dewt

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 27, 2020, 12:05:20 PM
Nah, the other characters in the group are controlled and voiced by other players.  The title of "the AI is Self-Aware" is merely the premise of the skit (unless somebody wants to correct me, but I'm 99% sure that's the case).
This is accurate

It's very tempting to go along with the meta thing of pretending it's real but I think it's actually better when people know it's real people.

mrfridge

Ah shit. Nah it was better when I thought it was AI. Still very funny indeed!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Properly funny. Loved it.

" You do have your passport don't you?"

Jim Bob

It's not quite the same thing (or as brilliantly original) but for those who have been enjoying this series of videos as much as I have, I can also recommend this let's play of Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood (an old Sierra adventure game).  It's a group of friends all voicing the characters and as it goes on they start creating comedic personalities for everyone.  It's get sillier and sillier and funnier as it goes on.

Unfortunately they weren't recording for the first 1 hour or so, but it's easy enough to pick up.  It remains my favourite straight up let's play, for just how much it made me laugh.  The perfect distraction for these quarantine induced times.

Quote from: mrfridge on April 27, 2020, 01:19:40 PM
Ah shit. Nah it was better when I thought it was AI.

I'm the opposite.  I wouldn't have found this half as funny, had I thought that the other characters were prerecorded dialogues being spouted by an AI.

JamesTC

Jim Bob

mrfridge

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 27, 2020, 03:08:08 PM
I'm the opposite.  I wouldn't have found this half as funny, had I thought that the other characters were prerecorded dialogues being spouted by an AI.

I didn't think it was prerecorded, I though it was literally mad shit made up on the fly by some super fast Siri type artificial intelligence! I appreciate in retrospect this was rather far fetched. Siri on my phone works about 30% of the time so unless this guy had access to a supercomputer and very advanced voice recognition software it couldn't really work. Could it?

Enzo

I finished this. I thought it would outstay it's welcome, but it really became quite profound in places before descending into silliness all over again.

One of the best things I've watched all year.

Famous Mortimer

I was about to mention, like no-one else knew about it, "Red vs. Blue", which I watched a very long time ago, but it turns out it's won awards and the characters from the show have been in the game and it's just me that's not paid it the least bit of attention in a decade (it may not be as good now, but the first three or four shows were hilarious).

Mister Six

Laughed until I got cramp in my jaw and a scratched up throat. Thank you for this!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Very funny, though the main guy should have been less manic in his responses at times.

Tikwid

Behind-the-scenes part 2
Spoiler alert
"Alexander Skarsgard does such a great job playing me!"
[close]