Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Joy of Painting

Started by Jasha, April 21, 2020, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

BBC4 have dug this up as some sort of half hour antidote to the Covids and blow me if it doesn't do the job. I have absolutely no interest or ability in painting but perm man Bob Ross's voice is just the ticket. He could have made a fortune narrating Audible books if he wasn't pushing up daisies

BlodwynPig

Just rustled up one for you

seepage

Let's hope Mark & Jez are watching

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2020, 09:37:58 AM

is that charles manson and Ghislaine Maxwell

Alberon

BeardFaceMan

Most of the talk about Bob Ross is his luxurious perm, or his soothing voice, or "tap, tap" etc, but as someone who is so bored that I'm in danger of collapsing in on myself and falling out of my own arsehole, and someone with a load of paint lying about, are his vids any good for actually learning to paint?

Dex Sawash

^ I would say yes, I can use recalled Bob Ross techniques to use oil paint software and have never used an actual paintbrush. But I can only "paint" smudgy mountain/sky/lake, happy little trees and I don't know...some bushes or something down here.
I guess no on actually learning to paint.

The Bumlord

They're good for learning how to paint Bob Ross-type pictures, yes.

BlodwynPig

ollyboro

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 22, 2020, 05:04:14 PM
Most of the talk about Bob Ross is his luxurious perm, or his soothing voice, or "tap, tap" etc, but as someone who is so bored that I'm in danger of collapsing in on myself and falling out of my own arsehole, and someone with a load of paint lying about, are his vids any good for actually learning to paint?

I doubt it, but it's still worth watching. Even if  after watching it you're still incapable of knocking up a mantelpiece.

Kryton

Yeah they're good for showing some techniques and ways of painting. Plus it's Bob Ross and his lovely hair, beard, voice.

buzby

ITV should dig out the tapes of Paint Along With Nancy for when they run out of Corrie and Emmerdale episodes.

Norton Canes

And run them as a double bill with Crown Court

beanheadmcginty

His so-called "dry brush" is like the mythical "enhance" feature on Hollywood computers. He splodges a load of old shite on the canvas and you assume that the painting is ruined, but then he  breaks out the dry brush, gives a few rubs and suddenly you're looking at a photo realistic lake/forest/shrubbery.

gilbertharding

The shows are good, as others have said - it's interesting to see some of his techniques for colour mixing and mark making - but the real key to being able to 'do art' (in my worthless opinion) is to learn to see. To look at the world, and understand it. I don't see how you can paint a landscape, even one you have invented, until you have done that, a lot.

I'd never seen the programmes before, but his name and face gives me a Proustian rush because the art supply shop I used to frequent in the mid 90s when I was at architecture school used to flog his paint and brushes. I think it was marked-up quite a lot compared to the stuff I used to get. Now, watching the show, and the way every paint he uses is named and itemised at the start, I understand what was going on.

The chief value of The Joy of Painting is to imagine the ratings dead Bob Ross is getting, and imagine Rolf Harris, in his prison cell, fuming.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Rolf has been released from prison, he's currently free to roam the Earth again. But yeah, the Bob Ross revival must be royally pissing him off. Good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Kryton on April 24, 2020, 06:48:38 AM
Yeah they're good for showing some techniques and ways of painting. Plus it's Bob Ross and his lovely hair, beard, voice.

Bob was a talented artist, I reckon, but yeah, it's just lovely wallowing in his gentle presentation style while marvelling at his magnificent hair and beard.

beanheadmcginty

I hope this spurs someone into digitally remastering some old Tony Hart stuff.

Jasha

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 26, 2020, 07:37:32 PM
Bob was a talented artist, I reckon, but yeah, it's just lovely wallowing in his gentle presentation style while marvelling at his magnificent hair and beard.

It's become quite addictive beating the devil out of it with Bob

Ray Travez

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 23, 2020, 04:47:53 PM
Willy Rushton and Maggie Philbin

Alan Moore and Lynda Bellingham

The Bumlord

Quote from: Jasha on April 27, 2020, 03:36:29 PM
It's become quite addictive beating the devil out of it with Bob

You dirty sod

MojoJojo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2020, 09:37:58 AM

"...and we'll add a lovely little bush here..."

Norton Canes

A happy little cock, it's your cock, you decide what it's going to do

Norton Canes

We're going to need some Titanium White...

ollyboro

There I was at two in the morning, watching Bob paint away to his curly head's content, when I thought "I know what I fancy watching...Peep Show." Now, I hadn't watched a Joy Of Painting for a couple of months, and I hadn't watched a Peep Show in years. Who should pop up on Jeremy's tv screen? Only Bob!! "What's God painting today?". He then turned up again when Mark decided to make, or not make, a phone call based on what Bob was painting when they turned the channel over.

Shit Good Nose

"...maybe there's some happy trees just here...and maybe there's a big old angry cloud or two up at the top here.....but we're gonna add just a hint of sun reflection to cheer that big old cloud up....."

As others have alluded to he had a rather limited range in terms of what he painted (i.e. natural and wild American landscapes), but if you're going to do natural and wild landscapes then he's your go-to man. 

The most amazing thing about Ross was the tools he used for pretty much every painting - half a dozen paints, a palletknife, a little fan brush and, his main tool, a massive decorating brush.  Seeing what he does with that one brush is mesmerising.

I can also recommend the vids of his German mentor - former nazi and permanently-about-to-blow powderkeg of anger Bill Alexander.

gilbertharding

I like how cheap the credits are. Clunky, yellow digital font, clunkily scrolling past. Muncie Indiana... you do what you wanna do... it doesn't matter.

Apparently he hated his 'fro.

"his trademark permed hairstyle came about as a cost-cutting measure when his regular crewcut haircuts became too expensive. Ross later confessed that he disliked the hairstyle, but did not feel he could change it because it was depicted in the company logo."