Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe

Started by Icehaven, April 22, 2020, 10:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Coming soon apparently:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/22/charlie-brooker-to-return-to-bbc-with-lockdown-special-antiviral-wipe

Suppose he has to do something when real life is out-Black-Mirroring Black Mirror. Didn't realise it had been 4 years since he stopped doing screenwipe either.

idunnosomename

Hope he does lots of jokes about wanking at home and cumming everywhere then mimes doing so then gets a big throbbing stiffy and starts wanking furiously then erupts in buckets of cum splashing everywhere oh my god yes yes

Quote from: icehaven on April 22, 2020, 10:04:04 AM
Suppose he has to do something when real life is out-Black-Mirroring Black Mirror.

imitationleather

That's me during nearly every episode.

In lockdown with Konnie Huq and his millions, the jammy fucker.

Dewt

Yep. You sit in that chair and read somebody else's jokes written to favour the establishment then you deserve to lose all credibility with the left.

up_the_hampipe

Noodle Lizard

I more or less like his Charlie Brooker output and am looking forward to this. I've missed the end of the year wipes as a traditional catch-all summary, hit-and-miss as they were, and this particular epoch has more than enough content to drain - may even get a laugh or two out of it.

touchingcloth

beanheadmcginty

Presumably this was greenlit mostly because no one wanted to pass up the opportunity of the title.

Deyv

I'm looking forward to it. I hope there's a segment devoted to hand washing which is exactly twenty seconds long.

Sherringford Hovis

Charlie today: Vegas Elvis, Crystal Skull

Charlie pre-marriage & parentdom: Jailhouse Rock Elvis, Raiders of the Lost Ark

It'll be sad and hollow and forced with merest flickers of his youthful vituperation. We know you're reading this, Charlton: you copy and paste chunks from here all the time. Don't bother, mate - live on in our memories at your bilious best.

mr. logic

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on April 23, 2020, 02:30:25 AM
Charlie today: Vegas Elvis, Crystal Skull

Charlie pre-marriage & parentdom: Jailhouse Rock Elvis, Raiders of the Lost Ark

It'll be sad and hollow and forced with merest flickers of his youthful vituperation. We know you're reading this, Charlton: you copy and paste chunks from here all the time. Don't bother, mate - live on in our memories at your bilious best.

No he doesn't. He shares a sensibility, but he doesn't steal, unless you have evidence?

That's now Louis CK, Limmy and Charlie Brooker that Cookd and bombd posters are officially funnier and more talented than, in its own mind. Lot of brilliant people on here, but it might be time to calm down a bit on the self-aggrandisement.

Icehaven

Head Gardener

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Was that a little cameo from Buckles there?

Fambo Number Mive

Enjoying this. Laughing quite a bit. Nice to see some criticism of the government.

holyzombiejesus

I don't think this thing's for me any more. Hope everyone else enjoyed it.

Head Gardener

beeping CB using fuck until half an hour in must have been a watershed thing, mild chuckles aside it seemed a wasted opportunity to me

Billy

Just not angry enough for me, but I haven't truly enjoyed any of the Wipes since about 2012-13.

I miss the Screenwipe-era Brooker, or the one reviewing the last issue of News of the World which still had a bit of bite to it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2020, 09:47:48 PM

DAYS ARE GONE

IANNUCCI - GONE
BROOKER - GONE
MORRIS - GONE

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2020, 09:47:48 PM

I thought it was alright. Quite funny at times, and it was just quite nice watching a programme on primetime BBC Two in which the host basically called the government a bunch of useless cunts for 45 minutes.

Cardenio I

I thought this was funny enough. Particularly enjoyed him forcing Konnie Huq to use her Blue Peter powers to make a ventilator and there were enough chuckles throughout to make it worthwhile. The truth is that what you're getting with these shows post Newswipe is TV Satire, a field of mostly bland mediocrity in which Charlie's better than most but, well, that's about it.

What made Screenwipe in particular so great was it was just a passionate weirdo with genuine insight into (and irrationally strong opinions on) television. As a deeply cynical teenager who watched way too much TV I absolutely loved it. Newswipe was good because it did the same thing for news media rather than be actual TV Satire. From Weekly Wipe onwards it's all a bit more dull, forced, and predictable - Here's Charlie with a wry look at the news! But, yknow. It's fine. And I've enough affection for the format, and there remains just enough of that angry weirdo (now a successful millionaire), for it to reliably be worth a watch.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2020, 10:01:36 PM
I thought it was alright. Quite funny at times, and it was just quite nice watching a programme on primetime BBC Two in which the host basically called the government a bunch of useless cunts for 45 minutes.

I didn't think he did call them cunts. Was more of a roll of the eyes than having any kind of anger behind it.

Norton Canes

Liked the use of the Gallery musics. Laughed at the squirty cream.

Norton Canes

Actually, Steppin' Out should be the offiical theme to this pandemic.

non capisco

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2020, 10:08:39 PM
I didn't think he did call them cunts. Was more of a roll of the eyes than having any kind of anger behind it.

That's how it felt to me as well. I laughed out loud at the daft 'happy birthday twice' gag and some of Cunk's stuff but the whole thing felt toothless considering the sickening amount of lives lost that Boris Johnson's government are directly responsible for. Don't think I'm prepared to take anything that purports to be satirical about this current diabolical situation with anything approaching a feigned punch and a sweetened pill. The arrogance, gross incompetence and outright psychopathic level of callousness of these cunts that's fucked us all over and will continue to kill many more people wasn't something I saw reflected here. I like Brooker a lot but...ehhhh.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 14, 2020, 10:08:39 PM

There was some genuine anger there, I felt. It wasn't just some centrist dad rolling his eyes at our daft old government. Well, it was a bit like that, admittedly.

It was... fine.