Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe

Started by Icehaven, April 22, 2020, 10:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

You can't expect a man who sees Konnie Huq in her pants every single day to be angry about anything, ever.

Cuntbeaks

Thought it was good, but a bit toothless. He could have really turned the screw on the governments' and Trumps' lethargic response to the virus. A systematic dissection with timelines, death rates and Pye Corner Audio playing in the background.

Chollis

imitationleather

I wasn't expecting much and it duly delivered!

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 14, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
DAYS ARE GONE

IANNUCCI - GONE
BROOKER - GONE
MORRIS - GONE
agree with the other two (mostly sadly Iannucci, long gone) but Morris is still ok isnt he

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Cunk's little smile when the expert said "That's a very good question" was one of the highlights. I can't be bothered with Cunk in her own show, she's a one-dimensional idiot who's only suited to the short sketch format, but Diane Morgan is great.

I agree that the show should've been angrier, but I just don't expect that level of vitriol from Brooker these days. It was as close to biting satire as you'll find on the BBC these days. That's a sad state of affairs, obviously, but this is the world we live in.

I would've preferred a Coronavirus comedy special in which a furious Limmy literally called the government a bunch of callous, murderous cunts for 45 minutes, but they'd never commission something like that.

Quote from: imitationleather on May 14, 2020, 10:43:29 PM
I wasn't expecting much and it duly delivered!

That's exactly how I feel about it. Lowered expectations can sometimes reap mild dividends.

Danger Man

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 14, 2020, 10:45:36 PM
agree with the other two (mostly sadly Iannucci, long gone) but Morris is still ok isnt he

You haven't seen his latest film, I assume.

Morris' latest film is pretty terrible. Oh well, only ten years to wait until he returns with something else.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2020, 10:56:56 PM
Morris' latest film is pretty terrible. Oh well, only ten years to wait until he returns with something else.

It was a weird thing. His promotional interview on Channel 4 News was fantastic, leagues better than the film itself.

Head Gardener

not surprised there were no previews of it either as it would have been pretty panned, no doubt a 2 star review in the i paper in the morning

idunnosomename

Quote from: Danger Man on May 14, 2020, 10:52:34 PM
You haven't seen his latest film, I assume.
no because im a lazy dunce. consensus isn't that bad? fuck me ive never seen four lions either. what am i doing here

Quote from: non capisco on May 14, 2020, 10:59:39 PM
It was a weird thing. His promotional interview on Channel 4 News was fantastic, leagues better than the film itself.

He's such a fascinating man, a brilliant mind, but I don't think he's a very good director.

Four Lions is a good film, but that's presumably because Morris and his collaborators had a clearer sense of what they were trying to do. The Day Shall Come is a well-intentioned mess.

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 14, 2020, 11:07:56 PM
not surprised there were no previews of it either as it would have been pretty panned, no doubt a 2 star review in the i paper in the morning

There were no previews of the Brooker show because they only finished making it a few days ago.

Reviews will appear in some of tomorrow's papers.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 14, 2020, 11:16:23 PM
There were no previews of the Brooker show because they only finished making it a few days ago.

yeah, I suppose he was waiting for something funny to happen

I know you're trying to be funny, but my point is that the finished programme didn't exist until a few days ago.

gib

Quote from: non capisco on May 14, 2020, 10:20:20 PM
That's how it felt to me as well. I laughed out loud at the daft 'happy birthday twice' gag and some of Cunk's stuff but the whole thing felt toothless considering the sickening amount of lives lost that Boris Johnson's government are directly responsible for. Don't think I'm prepared to take anything that purports to be satirical about this current diabolical situation with anything approaching a feigned punch and a sweetened pill. The arrogance, gross incompetence and outright psychopathic level of callousness of these cunts that's fucked us all over and will continue to kill many more people wasn't something I saw reflected here. I like Brooker a lot but...ehhhh.

yeah this

Danger Man

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 14, 2020, 11:07:56 PM

5 stars in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/14/charlie-brooker-antiviral-wipe-review-urgent-exasperated-perfection

'perfection'

Dewt

If it doesn't make The Guardian angry I'm not interested in watching it.

Head Gardener

to be honest it needed more wank jokes

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on May 14, 2020, 10:20:20 PM
That's how it felt to me as well. I laughed out loud at the daft 'happy birthday twice' gag and some of Cunk's stuff but the whole thing felt toothless considering the sickening amount of lives lost that Boris Johnson's government are directly responsible for. Don't think I'm prepared to take anything that purports to be satirical about this current diabolical situation with anything approaching a feigned punch and a sweetened pill. The arrogance, gross incompetence and outright psychopathic level of callousness of these cunts that's fucked us all over and will continue to kill many more people wasn't something I saw reflected here. I like Brooker a lot but...ehhhh.

I agree, and I didn't watch it. That's the reason I didn't watch it.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Enjoyed it. Not quite angry enough though. And a bit Mitchell and Webb reminiscent that set.

Sebastian Cobb

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, it was funny. It was about as angry and as acerbic as I was expecting really, but I think if it was as left-leaning and angry as I wanted it to be it would be unbroadcastable.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2020, 12:06:18 AM
if it was as left-leaning and angry as I wanted it to be it would be unbroadcastable.

my wife said exactly the same thing, and she enjoyed it too

Aaron500

The best bit was Cunk's "what's your background?" question to the expert. It was obvious, but well executed.

Captain Z

I laughed at the 'Lewis Hamilton / something even more boring than watching Formula 1' joke, and it was nice to see Konnie involved. Plenty of other good jokes in there but all quite safe.

Dewt

Quote from: Aaron500 on May 19, 2020, 01:24:35 AM
The best bit was Cunk's "what's your background?" question to the expert. It was obvious, but well executed.
Haven't watched this but I'd like to have an attempt at guessing it:

Cunk: If I can ask you, <Expert>, what's your background?
Expert: I'm a research fellow at the Cambridge Infectious Diseases research centre and regular contributor to The Economist's science and health section.
Cunk: Oh right. No I meant your background on Zoom. It looks like a picure of a space galaxy or something

was it something like that? No pressure but I have decided that if I'm right I am going to kill myself.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 01:41:19 AM
Haven't watched this but I'd like to have an attempt at guessing it:

Cunk: If I can ask you, <Expert>, what's your background?
Expert: I'm a research fellow at the Cambridge Infectious Diseases research centre and regular contributor to The Economist's science and health section.
Cunk: Oh right. No I meant your background on Zoom. It looks like a picure of a space galaxy or something

was it something like that? No pressure but I have decided that if I'm right I am going to kill myself.

Don't worry, you're completely wrong, it was a map of Nepal.