Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BlackAF

Started by Satchmo Distel, April 23, 2020, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The writing may be clever but nothing in the first three episodes made me laugh whereas a few lines made me cringe. Is it shit or is it just not to my taste?

Mister Six

Mrs Six was quite interested in this and I was happy to roll with it (and am very receptive to the politics) but we turned off episode one about three quarters of the through. Kenya can't act, there's too much reliance on all the unfunny kids, and the mockumentary thing is played out. Rashida Jones seemed to be carrying it all on her back.

The observation about black "peacocking" coming from the Sunday best was interesting, but nothing outisde that seemed to work, and in any case Atlanta did that subject in a more gripping fashion four (!) years ago.

I don't think it helps that it's based around a bunch of ridiculously privileged people. Like, I know the point is that money doesn't elevate black people out of the difficulties of being black, but they're all so unsympathetic, and being able to blow massive wads of cash on flash cars or hire their daughter an entire film crew so she can get into college isn't going to win me over.

bgmnts

I'm black y'all
And i'm black y'all
And i'm blacker than black and i'm black y'all