Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Conmnecting Audio Hardware

Started by Colin Sanction, April 24, 2020, 11:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
How do I go about connecting my Korg Volca Sample to a Behringer TD-3 to hear the output via headphones?

I'm assuming through an audio interface or can I connect them to my laptop and use the headphone jack? Would a Behringer UMC22 - Audiophile 2x2 USB Audio Interface with Midas Mic Preamplifier suffice?

I've only these two pieces of kit for now but in the future I may be looking at getting a Behringer RD-8 & Behringer Crave. Will this interface still do? I'm not planning to gig with them, just make a racket.

crankshaft

If you're planning to get more than one synth, I'd recommend either getting an interface with more inputs or (possibly more practically) sticking with a simple 2 in / 2 out interface and getting a cheap mixing desk (maybe https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_qx1002_usb.htm).

El Unicornio, mang

Edit: misread

Is this any help? It's in German mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20B95vFd4P8

I have a similar audio interface as the UMC22 (a Scarlett 2i2), presumably you need a 1/4" to 1/4" TRS cable (or 3.5mm to 1/4" depending on the output) to get it to the UMC22, then just plug and play via USB

crankshaft

That video is about syncing the TD 3 and Volca together (they both have CV sync capability so you can do it without MIDI.)

If you already have a 2i2, all you need is the cable you need and you're away. You'll need Garageband / Audacity / whatever to monitor yourself and (obviously) record if you want to. But the right size cable will get you all connected. And you can consider a mixer if you buy another synth.

I've finally got myself a Behringer Crave. Now, if I got a USB Mixer like the one below, would that allow me to connect a TD-3, Crave and RD-8 and allow me to record the Midi rather than the audio into my laptop and listen

I might want to be able to go back, change the notes, sounds etc rather than recording the output to a WAV file.

Quote from: crankshaft on April 24, 2020, 11:16:05 AM
If you're planning to get more than one synth, I'd recommend either getting an interface with more inputs or (possibly more practically) sticking with a simple 2 in / 2 out interface and getting a cheap mixing desk (maybe https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_qx1002_usb.htm).

ArtParrott

The mixer would help you get all that audio in to the computer but not the MIDI. You can only get MIDI in and out of the computer by USB from the instruments themselves OR by using some kind of interface (some audio interfaces have MIDI in/outs but your one in your OP doesn't).

Fortunately MIDI interfaces don't have to break the bank, you can get one like this for £25 https://m-audio.com/products/view/uno

I have one of these going into a powered USB hub and then have USB out from your instruments in to the same hub. From there, you should be able to set up tracks on your DAW to capture the MIDI coming in from certain instruments, tinker with the notes on your computer before sending the MIDI back to the instruments and capturing the audio. Not all at once mind.

Something like this?

Would this allow me to listen to three instruments at the same time via Ableton?

ArtParrott

It won't let you listen to the instruments (ie the audio), but it might let Ableton and your instruments talk to one another by sending MIDI info over USB.

Be warned though, some kit won't output MIDI over USB, which is where you'd likely need some kind of MIDI interface.

ArtParrott

I think that would work but please don't take just my word for it and do plenty of research before you pull the trigger.

Also to add, that will only process MIDI, not audio, so you'll still need a mixer or interface  to get the sounds of your gear in to the computer.