Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:13:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beastie Boys Story (2020)

Started by privatefriend, April 25, 2020, 02:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

A new documentry film by Spike Jonze premiered yesterday on apples shitty tv service (7 day free trial available). I thought this was very cringy, like two gay dads in chinos giving a tedx talk about friendship. Some very good archive footage though.

Puce Moment

Does it include the footage of Adam Yauch grabbing that fan's vagina?

privatefriend

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 25, 2020, 02:54:25 PM
Does it include the footage of Adam Yauch grabbing that fan's vagina?

I don't know about that incident, it does however cover their behaviour towards women a little bit, mostly the woman who used to be in the band at the beginning. Thinking about it, the huge back projection used is less of a ted talk and more of an apple product launch, strangely corporate.

the

oh wow I never realised, I will never think about this musical act again now

Puce Moment

Quote from: the on April 25, 2020, 05:37:02 PMoh wow I never realised, I will never think about this musical act again now

thank you

the

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 25, 2020, 05:49:39 PM* retreats spent from thread, vigilant of the next time someone is in danger of discussing the Beastie Boys whereupon the BITCHIN MORAL TRUMP CARD will be greasily played again *

Puce Moment

just asked a question mate, take it easy

rue the polywhirl

I think I have just gained a newfound appreciation for the Beastie Boys because of the youtube link because of the new documentary. (nice save).

the

Quote from: privatefriend on April 25, 2020, 02:50:18 PMA new documentry film by Spike Jonze premiered yesterday on apples shitty tv service (7 day free trial available). I thought this was very cringy, like two gay dads in chinos giving a tedx talk about friendship. Some very good archive footage though.

Have you read the Beastie Boys Book? If so, would you say this documentary is kind of an attempt to be a filmic version of that?

The beastly boys, more like!

That's what I'd call them!

privatefriend

Quote from: the on April 27, 2020, 03:01:55 PM
Have you read the Beastie Boys Book? If so, would you say this documentary is kind of an attempt to be a filmic version of that?

I've not read the book, I saw it seemed to be well received at the time though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Mixed feelings about this. Mike and Adam seem like a nice enough bunch of lads, but they're not as funny as they think they are. That's true of most of us, but it's not our job to host an evening of amusing anecdotes in front of paying punters. Their scripted banter is slightly embarrassing.

It's also marred by blatantly rehearsed moments where Jonze pretends to miss his cues, which are less convincing than those bits in Russ Abbot's Madhouse when Russ and co pretended to corpse.

But it's quite moving at times. It's a show about enduring friendship, regrets and maturity. They're very honest, they don't make excuses. Or maybe they do, a bit, but I never doubted their fundamental sincerity.

Shaky

Skip this and read the excellent book instead.