Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jerry Seinfeld Netflix Special - 23 Hours To Kill

Started by Hand Solo, April 25, 2020, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

This was weird because straight before I'd watched an old ep. of Seinfeld (the one where Kramer and Jerry's dad go into business selling old raincoats) and he does exactly the same line about men's dress sense just stopping at a certain age.

the science eel

What was all that shite about at the end with him diving into a swimming pool?

He's a vain, vain man

lankyguy95

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2020, 02:35:18 PM
What was all that shite about at the end with him diving into a swimming pool?

He's a vain, vain man
Practicing the dive from the helicopter at the start of the show.

the science eel

What was all that shite about him diving from the helicopter? :)

lankyguy95

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2020, 03:02:03 PM
A fun piece of self-indulgence.

the science eel

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 01, 2020, 01:47:48 PM
This was weird because straight before I'd watched an old ep. of Seinfeld (the one where Kramer and Jerry's dad go into business selling old raincoats) and he does exactly the same line about men's dress sense just stopping at a certain age.

He was doing a bunch of jokes that were older than some of his girlfriends.

olliebean

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2020, 03:02:03 PM

You weren't like this when the Queen did it.

Ornlu

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's a funny sketch, but it does suggest that Lucas and Walliams had only ever seen one or two episodes of Seinfeld at most.

EOLAN

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 03, 2020, 06:00:32 AM
It's a funny sketch, but it does suggest that Lucas and Walliams had only ever seen one or two episodes of Seinfeld at most.

In fairness; I think it was a general American sitcom parody; based around Seinfeld as the initial characterisations. After the Kramer character it did just deviate significantly away from being Seinfeldesque.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: EOLAN on June 03, 2020, 08:53:15 AM
In fairness; I think it was a general American sitcom parody; based around Seinfeld as the initial characterisations. After the Kramer character it did just deviate significantly away from being Seinfeldesque.

True. It only resembles Seinfeld for about a minute. After that it's just a ridiculous splurge of general parody.

petril

Quote from: EOLAN on June 03, 2020, 08:53:15 AM

yeah. they had a whole batch of them. including the RoDERney one

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on June 01, 2020, 10:57:22 AM
Well it's not exactly an original observation, is it?

Haven't seen it yet, but it's not about how original the observation is, it's what's done with that observation, surely?

magval

Aye, that's would I'd have said if I hadn't fallen asleep when I was typing my reply (this actually happened).

Who else has made that joke anyway?

Radar

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 03, 2020, 06:00:32 AM

That's my wife playing Elaine. And she'd never seen an episode of Seinfeld. We did see the this special live though. Loved it.

neveragain

Radar

Yes - though she prefers theatre - she had met this group at National Youth Theatre. She's quite big in theatre circles - but does film and TV from time to time. She was in Solo last year, and Homeland and stuff like that.

olliebean

Quote from: magval on June 03, 2020, 02:42:27 PM
Aye, that's would I'd have said if I hadn't fallen asleep when I was typing my reply (this actually happened).

Who else has made that joke anyway?

I haven't made a point of remembering when or from whom I've heard it before, but I definitely have from more than one comedian.

Anyway, at the very least he's doing an Andrew Lloyd Webber and plagiarising himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwswEVDAlU - which he's allowed to do of course, but in 25 years you'd expect him to have managed to come up with an hour's worth of new material.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 03, 2020, 09:04:49 AM
True. It only resembles Seinfeld for about a minute. After that it's just a ridiculous splurge of general parody.

When taken in context with the others, as mentioned by petrilTanaka, that's what they were going for - and in some ways, feel it works on perceptions about what American comedy is/was like. Another one was My Gad Dads, which probably was inspired by My Two Dads, or at least the title anyway.