Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should I watch Stripes?

Started by Non Stop Dancer, April 25, 2020, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armin Meiwes

Dunno mate never seen it either but let me know if people say you should see it and I might see it as well.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Maybe, how many blocks of 2hours do you have left?

SavageHedgehog

I liked it in my late teens, don't know how bothered I'd be now. I definitely preferred it to Animal House, Caddyshack and Meatballs as far as these kind of things go.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I have absolutely no idea. Do you like Bill Murray? If so, you'll probably enjoy it. If not, you probably won't.

What the fuck is happening to this forum? This post doesn't exactly help, I know.

Non Stop Dancer

I'm 40 minutes in. It's pretty decent, some good laughs so far.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, worth watching for the animated performance of Bill Murray, and for seeing the fine head of hair the young Harold Ramis is sporting, at least in the opening scenes.You might find yourself saying " Warren Oates had let himself go" ,though, if you were ever a big fan of him. Isn't the sean young Sean Young in it, as well? Been a while since I last saw it.

studpuppet

I watched it recently. It's better than Platoon ("Where the fuck's my truck!!"), but not as good as Animal House. And Sean Young is better in No Way Out.

Non Stop Dancer

My review: Yeah, I quite liked it. Could've been about 20 minutes leaner in an ideal world but would recommend it to anyone who likes the principal players.

Armin Meiwes

Tell you what I watched like the first 20 mins of Caddyshack not long ago, had to turn it off, absolute shite.

Gulftastic

I never liked Caddyshack. Rodney Dangerfield was an unfunny twat.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You have no respect for him? No respect at all?

famethrowa

I've never seen it, but it's on my recorder ready to play at a moment's notice. It always cracks me up when the Best Show chaps mention it, I think Tom replied to Wurster's lines with something like "some quotes there from a not-very-quotable movie".... anyway I'll check it out soon and let yall know

studpuppet

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on April 26, 2020, 12:27:54 PM
Tell you what I watched like the first 20 mins of Caddyshack not long ago, had to turn it off, absolute shite.

That's because there's only one funny scene in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQTXFJL8lo

Egyptian Feast

Any movie which ends with Rodney Dangerfield addressing the assembled cast with "Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!" is clearly a masterpiece.

Shaky

Caddyshack II is the best Caddyshack and I'm not even joking.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 26, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Any movie which ends with Rodney Dangerfield addressing the assembled cast with "Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!" is clearly a masterpiece.

QuoteBob Saget (of Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos fame) tells a story about seeing Rodney, who was 70 years old at the time and had just undergone major surgery, in the lobby of a comedy club with two women in tow, waiting for Ron Jeremy to show up. When Bob asked how Rodney was doing, Rodney's response was "I'm with two whores and I'm waiting for a guy who can suck his own dick. How you doing?"

Dropshadow

Haven't saw this for years. From memory, I liked the bits before they join the army; after they join up, it goes to hell. Memory bits:

Bill Murray as a taxi driver being gloriously rude to an annoying old lady who's complaining about The Drugs (while driving: "Oh, I sure wish I hadn't drank all that cough-syrup this morning").

Murray and Ramis at the recruiting office.....
Officer: "Are either of you homosexual?"
Murray and Ramis look at each other.
Murray: "No, but we are willing to learn"

At boot camp. An officer stumbles over a small stone. "Have that removed", he says to an orderly.

That's really all I can remember. It was mostly shite.

wooders1978

Yes as above first two acts are amazing, the final act is dogshit, so 2 out of 3 ain't bad, get it watched!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wasn't massively fussed by Stripes, despite liking all the cast and the prospect of the film.

It's almost like they got so worked up about the cast and setting, the plotting and comic contrivances fall by the wayside. They are pretty tame, you keep waiting for loads of great moments but none really come. It wasn't awful, just oddly muted and over-long.