Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Is What She's Like

Started by PaulTMA, April 26, 2020, 01:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Love it when the music kicks in. Also Kevin at 4.14.

holyzombiejesus

Such a briiliant song. Really like the version on that recent(ish) live album. Shame that the reunion wasn't very good. I wonder if that's the last we'll hear of them as a band. I heard that Pete Williams has fucked Kevin off due to money not being distributed fairly.

Neomod

Brilliant song and album but that promo's a bit odd considering Kev has always been into his band branding. Apart from the Dexy's trio why has he got a backing band made up of Van Halen rejects?

Oh and 6:18

As an aside this interview with Andy Leek may be of interest to Dexy's Fans and the vagaries of a life in pop. He talks about the early days of Dexys, Kev's iron rule of the band and his (alleged) ripping off of Kevin Archer for Come on Eileen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXAHrOPX4w

SteveDave

The piano player was in Atomic Rooster! I only know who they were because of the terrifying LP cover of theirs that my Dad used to own.

Dewt

It's embarrassing that I didn't know this (it's because my canonical version was found via The Young Ones) but I just learned that Jackie Wilson Said is a Van Morrison cover.

Shame, it was one of the things I attributed to Rowland's song-writing abilities.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 27, 2020, 12:10:52 PM
Shame that the reunion wasn't very good. I wonder if that's the last we'll hear of them as a band.

I thought that reunion LP (which I thought was decent enough, as were the shows supporting it) was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy? I haven't heard any news about a follow-up, but I haven't been paying attention since that covers LP came out and pumped stink clouds into my living room. Definitely the worst album I've bought in the last 10 years.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 28, 2020, 09:28:50 AM
I thought that reunion LP (which I thought was decent enough, as were the shows supporting it) was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy? I haven't heard any news about a follow-up, but I haven't been paying attention since that covers LP came out and pumped stink clouds into my living room. Definitely the worst album I've bought in the last 10 years.

I don't think there's a song on that last album that I would choose to hear over anything in their back catalogue. I was pleased with it at the time but sold it about a year ago (for £££s!).

My pal is friends with all the old Dexys folk and even he's sick of KR now. Think he may have screwed people over financially, reading between the lines. Kevin was supposed to be working on his autobiography a while back so that may be imminent but these things are normally released in conjunction with new music, aren't they?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 28, 2020, 11:59:32 AM
I don't think there's a song on that last album that I would choose to hear over anything in their back catalogue. I was pleased with it at the time but sold it about a year ago (for £££s!).

I can't say I disagree with that, but the 3 original albums are pretty much perfect, so he'd have had to produce something close to perfection to even compete with the back catalogue. I can't say I've listened to it since I saw the show (the clear highlight of which was 'This Is What She's Like'), but it wasn't an embarrassment like the most recent album.

Matt Lucas sat in front of us and happily signed autographs for the couple sat next to them. The man was an old-school Dexy's nut who kept standing up and saluting at the band. His companion wasn't into it at all and complained at the end that they didn't play 'Come On Eileen'. Good gig.

Retinend

Always liked this song - it used to go around and around in my head.

The lyrics paint an amusing disconnect in dialogue: his love is perhaps wrapped up in his resentments, or is that what John Donne titled "Negative Love."

QuoteWell, you know the kind of people
That put creases in their old Levis? Sure
The type that use expressions like tongue in cheek and send up?
Indeed l do
I don't like these kind of people No?
May I state here and now,
But I can't help thinking,
All the time Im thinking of her
What's she like? In time, in time
Let me put it another way Please do.
Welt, you know how the English upper classes are thick and
Ignorant and not used to being with people?
That's true
You're familiar with the scum from Notting Hill and Moseley
The C N D? Sure
They describe nice things as wonderful
She never would say that,
She's totally different in every way
What's she like
In time, in time
Tell me, what's she like?
Come again?
In time in time
Well, this is what she's like
I would like to express myself at this point
Go ahead
Bill, you know the newly wealthy peasants
With their home bars and hi fis?
Eh, I'm not sure actually
You know, the ones who parade all their possessions
And put fabulous and super in each sentence
Oh yeah, I know the ones
Well I don't really like these scumbags
May I be clear on this point. Sure
She's not a bit like that
No, nothing like that
What's she like?
In time, in time
Bill, I'm trying to tell you
Oh well I'll tell you what she's like
Given half a chance
I will make this clear
Just what she's like
I'll present a picture of what she's like
You'll be in no doubt as to what she's like But listen close
Listen close now here
Come on, are you gonna' tell us what she's like or not
Oh yeah, I have every intention.
I'll tell you now, listen
Go on,
Go on,
Do you get my drift?
Oh yeah, I'm starting to get the picture
Well listen, I can expand on this if you'd like
Yeah, if you would
Oh, I see, I see She must be something
Yeah, she is.
Well how did all this happen
Just all at once really.
The Italians have a word for it
What word what is it?
A thunderbolt or something
What, you mean the Italian word for thunderbolt)
Yeah, something like that
I don't speak Italian myself you understand No
But I knew a man who did
Well, that's my story,
The strongest thing I've ever seen

wosl

Great song, but the spoken intro is one of the most stiltedly excruciating passages of dialogue committed to tape.  Billy Adams sounds so put-upon, struggling to sound natural, that you feel he may abandon the attempt at any moment in order to leap and wrap his hands around Rowland's neck.

poodlefaker

I once read that they actually had acting lessons before recording it, but that might be another one of KR's piss-takes. The Dexys spoken word bits always made me cringe when I was a kid, but now I quite like them, perhaps because I'm from Birmingham. The joke he tells during "Kevin Rowland's 13th Time" is  the absolute killer, as I think  we discussed on another thread.

poodlefaker

Quote from: wosl on April 28, 2020, 02:13:24 PM
Billy Adams sounds so put-upon,

I sometimes wonder what it's like as a musician to end up in a band with a frontman who has very, er, forthright creative ideas. "Right, for this album we're all going to wear dungarees / business suits". I suppose if you want to keep your job you go along with it.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 28, 2020, 05:10:49 PM
The joke he tells during "Kevin Rowland's 13th Time" is  the absolute killer, as I think  we discussed on another thread.

"Did you make it up yourself?"

Egyptian Feast

I saw them do 'Jackie Wilson Said' on The Young Ones last night and it was a great appearance and all, but the fucking state of them. No wonder Mike told them to set up in the lav.

holyzombiejesus

Did anyone check out the Tim's Listening Party thingy for There There My Dear tonight? AT the end , Kevin made a special announcement. I was wondering if he'd do one of those album tours doing TTMD, or, even better, DSMD. It wasn't so exciting...

https://twitter.com/DexysOfficial/status/1266473089019400195

Spoiler alert
21 years since Kevin's solo album My Beauty was released.  In September, for the first time, it will be available on Vinyl and DSP's. This first video - "Rag Doll" tells the story of what happened and how times have changed.
[close]

RicoMNKN

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 29, 2020, 11:19:46 PM
Did anyone check out the Tim's Listening Party thingy for There There My Dear tonight? AT the end , Kevin made a special announcement. I was wondering if he'd do one of those album tours doing TTMD, or, even better, DSMD. It wasn't so exciting...

I was thinking the other day that he wouldn't get such an awful reaction to that look nowadays.
Shame the real problem is that the music is so MOR.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Dewt on April 28, 2020, 09:15:51 AM
It's embarrassing that I didn't know this (it's because my canonical version was found via The Young Ones) but I just learned that Jackie Wilson Said is a Van Morrison cover.

Shame, it was one of the things I attributed to Rowland's song-writing abilities.

Why bother posting then.