Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curries again

Started by Smeraldina Rima, April 26, 2020, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Any chance a passable Bhindi Masala could be made at home? I would guess I don't have enough heat to not turn the okra to slime.

Cold Meat Platter

Something I have nicked from anther website (https://www.cookwithmanali.com/bhindi-masala-okra-stir-fry/):

How to Make Bhindi Less Slimy
If you cook bhindi often, then you are well aware about this problem – the sliminess!

The vegetable exudes a substance called mucilage which makes it slimy. So how do you make it less slimy/sticky?

1. Wash and pat dry the okra before chopping. If you try to cut the okra without pat drying it will be very slimy.

I usually wash it and then put all the okras on a paper towel (in single layer) and let them dry for some time and then pat dry each okra with a paper towel.

If you can plan in advance, it would be good to wash the okra and then let it air dry overnight. That way you wouldn't need to pat dry each bhindi separately.

You will be good to use the bhindi in the morning straight away.

2. Fry the okra in little oil before adding it to the curry/masala. That's what I have done in this recipe, fried the okra till all the sliminess disappeared. This takes around 15 minutes on medium-low flame.

Do not cook on high flame else the okra will get brown quickly, even before the sliminess can go away.

Twit 2

Eat slime you fucking snowflakes. Slug curry. If you can't cope, curries ain't for you, fucko.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 11, 2020, 01:06:00 AM
Eat slime you fucking snowflakes. Slug curry. If you can't cope, curries ain't for you, fucko.

Said yer ma

Fr.Bigley

Has anyone seen Gary masala? He owes me money.

Ferris

Yeah you gotta fry the okra my man. It doesn't "stew" up very nice, but if you oily-fry it, it'll tolerate being in a stew-y curry for a bit.

Bit of a bollocks to make though, I'd sub it for broccoli/potato.

Twit 2

Chicken Tikka Boswego

Fr.Bigley

Lamb Rogain swarfega

Twit 2

Fr.Bigley

Tandoori mikka buerkina

Twit 2

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dex Sawash

Wife got a seemingly  pointless juicer. I've  been earing the dross/tailings, Jack Sprat style. It is fine.Wondering if juicing all the stuff and dumping juice and pulp in would be a time shortcut to the BIR curry base?

bgmnts

I made a nice saag aloo the other day and some decent pilau rice.

Let that settle in the fridge for a few days and dear god it is good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2020, 01:23:19 PM
I made a nice saag aloo the other day and some decent pilau rice.

Let that settle in the fridge for a few days and dear god it is good.

I tend to do saag paneer but am getting into doing better rice since I got my instant pot.

This is good.

https://twosleevers.com/basmati-rice-pilau/

I found I was a bit crap at doing it in a pot because I've always been used to the boil gently and drain method rather than absorbtion.

Cuellar

My favourite curries are obviously:

Butter chicken
Korma
Chicken Tikka Masala

Because those are the best ones.

Thanks, bye.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2020, 02:03:14 PM
I tend to do saag paneer but am getting into doing better rice since I got my instant pot.

This is good.

https://twosleevers.com/basmati-rice-pilau/

I found I was a bit crap at doing it in a pot because I've always been used to the boil gently and drain method rather than absorbtion.

I've gone full vegan the past few months so I would not make paneer but an old Indian coworker once told me how her mum made it and it sounds like a real ballache to be fair.
Paneer is very, very nice though. Tofu works as a decent substitute but isnt quite the same obviously.

I have never used a muslin bag before though, I may give that a go, cheers!

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno if I did it properly but I had some cheesecloth kicking around so just dumped the stuff in there and knotted it.

I like to make potato curry these days, with a red pepper chopped into four and a tomato in two for a beautiful red looking curry.

Fry red and white onions in the vegetable oil, adding lots of garlic and ginger and the potatoes when they are boiled enough. Then you can put the rice on.

Add the spices: twice as much madras powder, some turmeric, cumin, chili powder/paprika/chilis, coriander powder, garam masala, fenugreek if no methi leaves, probably forgotten something.

chopped tomatoes and coconut milk or base gravy with the spices, and tomato purée, sugar, chopped coriander (stems first, leaves last) and sometimes methi leaves or curry leaves (which I never know whether to use).

bgmnts has reminded me to get some spinach which is also nice in this red potato curry.

Some of the spices that I add can't be necessary but I don't know which ones.

Sometimes chop up another clove of garlic and spread it on a piece of toast.

I messed up the base gravy once by not boiling the onions long enough so there were bits the hand blender wouldn't totally liquidise. And a wooden piece of slotted spatula had broken off into the mix and been blended into it.

Sebastian Cobb

Will try that! How long do you do the potatoes for, par-boil right?

Yeah, or maybe a bit more, till they're soft enough before frying with the onions and red pepper.

Jittlebags

Spicy potato matchsticks a la Madhur Jaffrey. Spicing being fried onion, garlic, ginger puree + curry powder + chilli flakes, taken to the dark paste stage with the fried matchsticks being finished off in the paste with some corriander leaves.

paruses

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2020, 02:36:14 PM
I dunno if I did it properly but I had some cheesecloth kicking around so just dumped the stuff in there and knotted it.

Same. Found it very easy to make - boil milk, add lemon, strain, press.

El Unicornio, mang

If you live in the North East, give these local sauce makers a try

https://www.foodyas.com/XX/Unknown/1731485487088711/Mandala-Express

Closest to restaurant quality I've had.

Stockists:
The Deli Around The Corner - Tynemouth
De Giorgio Butchers - Whitburn & Cleadon
Coppers At Gosforth
The Honey Tree - Heaton
Field House Farm Butchers - High Spen
Sunshine Co-operative - Online delivery - Sunderland, Gateshead, Heaton, South Shields, Seaham, Chester le street, Durham
Ibbitson's Butchers - White's Market Sunderland
Jamieson's of Cullercoats
Simply Local, Sunniside
Campus & Co. - Washington
Jamiesons Deli - Forest Hall
Tynemouth Market

bgmnts

Quote from: paruses on July 23, 2020, 11:18:21 AM
Same. Found it very easy to make - boil milk, add lemon, strain, press.

It's possible this Indian girl was exaggerating, or that her mum was using some ancient technique, like how Moroccans steam couscous for hours and hours instead of just cooking it instantly.

sirhenry

Very basic, very tasty:

Aloo Dum
Ingredients
For the potatoes
1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
4 tbsp mustard oil or vegetable oil
1 tsp ground turmeric

For the sauce
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 Indian bay leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely crushed
5cm fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
200g tomato passata
2 green chillies, sliced lengthways into thin strips, with or without seeds
according to preference
150g frozen peas
1 tsp garam masala
handful chopped coriander leaves, to finish

Preparation method
1. Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for eight minutes until just tender, then drain well. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat, add the potatoes and fry for five minutes, or until golden-brown. Add the turmeric and fry for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
2. For the sauce, heat the oil in another pan over a medium-high heat. Add the bay leaves and fry for one minute, then add the asafoetida and stir. Add the onion and fry for five minutes; then add the garlic and ginger and fry for five minutes, or until softened and lightly golden-brown.
3. Add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander, amchur, turmeric and salt and fry for one minute, then add the tomato passata, green chillies and 100ml water and stir together. Add the fried potatoes, reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, adding a splash of water if anything catches on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the peas and garam masala and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes, or until the peas are cooked. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.