Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gangs of London (Gareth Evans of Raid/Raid 2 fame)

Started by brat-sampson, April 26, 2020, 07:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

Trailer

Mr Evans returns to gangs, this time more locally. Head of a crime family gets whacked, son out for revenge, the inter-gang alliance is fucked, the actual killers are even more fucked and some guy new on the scene is proving incredibly helpful. Featuring Catelyn Stark and a Peaky Blinder, amongst others, the first episode of this was fast, engaging and very, very, violent. I'll probably watch the rest, even after skipping Apostle on Netflix. I think he's better at this crime/fighting thing.

I think the whole thing's on Sky now.

Alberon

I've watched the first episode and the characters are largely by the numbers. There are a couple of very good fight scenes which were done very well, but whether that's enough to hang a series on I don't know.

I'll give it another episode though.

Funcrusher

Head Gardener

binged 4 episodes last night and am fuckin' up for it!! who wants a fight??? eh? c'mon ya caaaaants!!!!

rjd2

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 27, 2020, 02:40:26 PM
binged 4 episodes last night and am fuckin' up for it!! who wants a fight??? eh? c'mon ya caaaaants!!!!

social distancing .

Finished it earlier, episode 5 is exciting, but bar that its little more than passable fluff. Something easy to binge,, but if was cancelled tomorrow no biggie.

The investors angle dragged it down while Joe Cole was at best miscast. The rest of the cast is fine, but when the lead is so bad at exuding menace then its a real fucking problem.

Mobius

timebug

Watched part one and was totally underwhelmed. Don't think I'll bother with the rest.

wooders1978

I'm watching this - it's fine, it's not gonna be ranked amongst the classics but it is watchable enough and you don't need to think to hard about it

I think I slightly disagree about peaky blinders fella, I think he's meant to be a bit "boy playing as a man" and a touch not that scary or menacing, and in that respect i think is cast and playing the role well  - that said I'm only 2 episodes in

Dr Syntax Head

Good fight scenes, obviously extremely implausable (one blow to the stomach would take me out of action for hours) but yeah it's ok. Will never watch again, it's served it's purpose.

beanheadmcginty

I was fairly underwhelmed by this and was only watching episodes sporadically, but I've now just watched episode 5.
HOLY FUCK, WATCH EPISODE 5 IT'S AMAZING. I just saw a man vaporised by explosives in slow motion. It's like a more violent version of that mad violent bit in Predator except in a Welsh farmhouse.

wooders1978

I found myself enjoying this despite it being theoretically absolute tosh - I'll definitely be watching season 2

phantom_power

Just started watching this. The main gangster bloke is shit and the plot is perfunctory but the fight scenes are amazing. Evans has this remarkably visceral and kinetic shooting style that really compliments the awesome stunt-work and execution of the fight scenes. I have only seen the first two but having read the above I am really looking forward to episode 5

Mobius

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on June 12, 2020, 12:40:18 AM
I've now just watched episode 5

Definitely the best episode so far. I've got 1 more left and whilst I have enjoyed it, the main character just sucks. I get that he's meant to be a bit different to the rest, like has something of a heart/some morals but he's just rubbish and his sort of posh voice is stupid.

Easy watch though, lots of action. Everything else is a cliche but it's not bad at all.

phantom_power

Holy shit. You weren't wrong about episode 5. Fucking nerve-shredding and brilliantly plotted and choreographed