Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,482
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ted Rogers Brains Burn In Hell- later on TalkingPicturesTV

Started by clarkgwent, April 26, 2020, 07:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarkgwent

I have revived this thread from a while ago to announce that they have started repeating SNATLPalladium from the beginning. I wasn't going to bother but have noted the appearance tonight of Dick "Springtime for Hitler" Shawm.

Also this means much bad comedy will resurface. A few months hence, if we are all still about, the Distel/Rogers comedy disaster will reappear.

There will also be Cook and Moore, and Milligan. Who, viewed in this context, appear to have been transported from the future.

ADDENDUM I forgot the Lynchian nightmare that is "Pinky and Perky"

clarkgwent

Slight return- it is the Pete and Dud one tomorrow (21st) right at end so you can miss out the rest if so desire (Peter Paul and Mary quite good but I digress)

clarkgwent

Spike Milligan tonight.

Merely sorta ok now but, as with Pete and Dud, it's like the future has showed up.

clarkgwent

Freddie Parrot Face Davis on "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" tonight on Talking Pictures TV. With his one joke which he kept going for decades.

ollyboro

Quote from: clarkgwent on July 19, 2020, 06:53:55 PM
Freddie Parrot Face Davis on "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" tonight on Talking Pictures TV. With his one joke which he kept going for decades.

You sure it's THAT Frederick Davis? It could be Fred Davis the snooker player performing a few trick shots whilst mildly pissed.

clarkgwent

Ol' FPFD has quite the track record as it turns out. I did him a disservice. Acting a fair bit (including Harry Potter), hit singles  in unlikely territories, a US tour. But not trick snooker.

Alas.   

ollyboro

That cunt Tarby has recently turned up as a host. Wouldn't mind seeing him hauled up on historical sex abuse charges. Without Jeffrey Wheeler, he's nothing.

thenoise

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 27, 2020, 07:06:48 PM
For a considerable time, probably a couple of years I would say, it's been standard for programming on TP to have had a brief message before programmes similar to the ones before films.

For a series (such as this one) the message will say when it was made and may contain language and attitudes of that time, which some viewers may find offensive.

Not really - the message gives the following content some context and it's standard for programming on all sort of channels to advise viewers.

Personally, I just watch the film. However....

Yes, there are indeed outdated stereotypes of British people and personally, would say that does include what the message is about - and attitudes.

In a film like Mr Denning Drives North, a John Mills film from the 1950s, the comments and protrayals of Johny Foreigner (in the shape of Herbert Lom) and gypsies rather raise the eyebrows - and a message like the one TP shows beforehand is entirely appropriate.

A comedy such as Folly to be Wise, one that I own in an Alistair Sim collection, again perfectly appropriate to have that message. Not a bad film on the whole, albeit one that should be better considering the pedigree, but the streak of male chauvinism and anti-intellectualism (particularly concerning one working class private) is decidedly dated - and for me, it really marred the film.

That example was *before* they had those messages. Not long after, there was another complaint upheld, which I think was the impetus to include them.

It might have marred the film, but would you have chosen not to watch it if it had been proceeded with a warning? Because that, presumably, it its purpose - rather than warning us to brace ourselves for a naughty word ahead. Much like we might choose not to watch an 18 or read a twitter post with a trigger warning for abuse (etc).

Question is, how many people people settle down to watch a 1950s film and decide against it after they are warned that it might be a bit, um, 1950s?

gilbertharding

Quote from: ollyboro on July 27, 2020, 09:17:53 PM
That cunt Tarby has recently turned up as a host. Wouldn't mind seeing him hauled up on historical sex abuse charges. Without Jeffrey Wheeler, he's nothing.

Weren't there some allegations, recently (as in, #metoo recent, as opposed to Yewtree recent)? Came to nought, for some reason. Can't renmember.

Anyway, I saw him on Talking Pictures the other week. He was awful - he really did go 'ho!' after the punchline, presumably so the audience would know what it was. He made some reference in the opening monologue which I didn't understand until later in the episode when Charlie Drake made a different joke evidently about the same subject: Kenneth Tynan said 'fuck' the week before.

Where was the trigger warning for that?

clarkgwent

Jim Dale tonight. Possibly the Jake song, but definitely Larry Grayson making a joke for which there most certainly should be a trigger warning.

ollyboro

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 31, 2020, 10:29:34 AM
Weren't there some allegations, recently (as in, #metoo recent, as opposed to Yewtree recent)? Came to nought, for some reason. Can't renmember.

Anyway, I saw him on Talking Pictures the other week. He was awful - he really did go 'ho!' after the punchline, presumably so the audience would know what it was. He made some reference in the opening monologue which I didn't understand until later in the episode when Charlie Drake made a different joke evidently about the same subject: Kenneth Tynan said 'fuck' the week before.

Where was the trigger warning for that?

It was part of Yewtree. He was accused of child bending a boy in Harrogate, back in the day.

As for his act....truly shite. He'd say something, nobody would laugh, Tarby would say something to the conductor with a wink and a "ho!". He was quite good at walking backwards whilst introducing the next act.

clarkgwent

Tonight, SNATLP repeats the worst comedy you will ever see. The Rogers/Distel routine. I guarantee it. Why I started this thread in the first place.

"Variety entertainment show hosted by Ted Rogers. This week's stars include Sacha Distel, The Drifters, Penny Lane, Nino Frediani, and The Second Generation."

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: clarkgwent on August 09, 2020, 11:14:43 AM
Tonight, SNATLP repeats the worst comedy you will ever see. The Rogers/Distel routine. I guarantee it. Why I started this thread in the first place.

"Variety entertainment show hosted by Ted Rogers. This week's stars include Sacha Distel, The Drifters, Penny Lane, Nino Frediani, and The Second Generation."

Is that Penny Lane the American noughties singer-songwriter, the expert on goat testicles and satanism, or the fictional groupie? And The Second Generation sound like something from Mao's Cultural Revolution: "We are the Second Generation and we have come to denounce our parents."