Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Van de Valk 2020

Started by seepage, April 26, 2020, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

what utter digshit was I just forced to watch?

As soon as I heard the very poor Planck's Constant 'joke' inthe first 5 mins I knew this was going to be complete rubbish.

Alberon

Mrs Alberon is watching this while I'm on my phone.

Utter fucking toss. The butchery of the theme tune needs to be heard to be disbelieved and the title character stomps around like a complete arsing tool and, as usual in this sort of show, everyone respects him for it.

petril

what was the theme tune like?

Gulftastic

Shite. Hints of the wonderful Eye Level amongst a miserable backdrop

petril

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That feeble John Lewis rearrangement of one of the greatest theme tunes of all time is a fucking travesty.

paruses

Now a theme tune has made me angry.

beanheadmcginty

Forced myself to watch this because I'm friends with one of the actresses. Total dogshit. Why did a few minor characters have Dutch accents when no one else did? Amsterdam is neither familiar enough nor exotic enough for the setting to make any dramatic sense. The only reason anyone remembers the original or has fondness for it is down to the theme tune and they fucked that up too. Terrible Bergerac remake imminent I reckon.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 26, 2020, 11:12:05 PMThe only reason anyone remembers the original or has fondness for it is down to the theme tune...

Can't agree with that I'm afraid.  Last year Talking Pictures TV showed them all, one per weekday, and I recorded the lot.  I finally started wading through them just after Christmas, just have three to go now.   I've been very pleasantly surprised, as by and large they're very good.  So much so that I considered starting a thread about it, and the DVD boxset is on my wishlist.

If anyone's interested, Talking Pictures recently started rerunning them from the beginning again on Fridays at 9pm.  I think the next one to show is S01E04. 

As for this new one, I knew they were making a new version but managed to miss the broadcast.  I'll catch it later in the week; it should be interesting.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Alberon on April 26, 2020, 10:35:53 PM...and the title character stomps around like a complete arsing tool...

To be fair, he does that quite a bit in the original too, although it seemed very writer-dependent.

Although it didn't seem too odd in the 70s eps (S1-S3), it did seem rather out-of-place on the rare occasion it happened in the early 90s eps (S4-S5).

Dewt

There was a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name
B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-o.

Chriddof

That new theme just made me think the news was about to come on, but then they had to put a different programme on straight afterwards because it made Huw Edwards go back to bed.

famethrowa

Quote from: petrilTanaka on April 26, 2020, 10:45:17 PM
wait, found it. it's pish

Those faces... that face 3rd along, christ.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 26, 2020, 11:12:05 PM
Forced myself to watch this because I'm friends with one of the actresses. Total dogshit. Why did a few minor characters have Dutch accents when no one else did? Amsterdam is neither familiar enough nor exotic enough for the setting to make any dramatic sense. The only reason anyone remembers the original or has fondness for it is down to the theme tune and they fucked that up too. Terrible Bergerac remake imminent I reckon.

Say it ain't so!

BlodwynPig

That's that 3rd rate British actor who plays cocky runts in many BBC fodder? Awful.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 27, 2020, 08:07:38 AM
Say it ain't so!

Shane Richie as Bergerac, coming to Saturday night, SOON!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 27, 2020, 08:10:23 AM
Shane Richie as Bergerac, coming to Saturday night, SOON!

QuoteParamount Network confirmed yesterday morning that it hoped to be able to commission a full series of the iconic 80s show. Anything that shows off Jersey's scenery should be supported, John Nettles – the original star of Bergerac – has said, but ruled out reprising his iconic role, as he is 'too old now'.

Not watching.

Phil_A

Judging from the trailer it seems they've turned this it into generic sub-Scandi Noir toss, would that be accurate?

timebug

Gave it ten minutes. Marc Warren has taken his 'I'm a cheeky cockney geezer' schtick as far as possible and then beyond.Utter shite in a tin.

Norton Canes

Yeah saw one on Talking Pictures the other night, it was almost up there with The Sandbaggers in its delivery of British agents in tawdry offices sipping endless cups of coffee.

Alberon

Quote from: Phil_A on April 27, 2020, 08:47:38 AM
Judging from the trailer it seems they've turned this it into generic sub-Scandi Noir toss, would that be accurate?

I don't think it's even scandi-noir. It's just the usual two hour itv crime show and really only has superficial differences from Vera, Lewis, et al. It's got more canals in it than usual, but that's about it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Alberon on April 27, 2020, 11:23:03 AM
I don't think it's even scandi-noir. It's just the usual two hour itv crime show and really only has superficial differences from Vera, Lewis, et al. It's got more canals in it than usual, but that's about it.

Exactly that. It's just your standard Sunday night cop show. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but utterly bland and forgettable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 27, 2020, 11:46:58 AM
Exactly that. It's just your standard Sunday night cop show. Fine if you like that sort of thing, but utterly bland and forgettable.

like Dr. Who?

olliebean

Quote from: petrilTanaka on April 26, 2020, 10:45:17 PM
wait, found it. it's pish

Marc Warren seems to be transforming into Philip Glenister.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 26, 2020, 11:12:05 PM...The only reason anyone remembers the original or has fondness for it is down to the theme tune and they fucked that up too.

Nah.

The original series is superb. Some nice location shooting, great cast and excellent writing and stands up today.

Foster was outstanding - his Van de Valk wasn't entirely likeable, largely for his abrasiveness (IMO), but an incredibly compelling and charismatic performance.

There was neat plotting, good character interplay and some story elements could be quite dark.

One episode that really stuck with me is A Death by the Sea, where Van de Valk suspects an influential banker of murdering his wife and pressure is brought upon him to drop the case.

Although I did watch it (or most) when in returned in the 1990s, couldn't recall much. Re-watching them on Talking Pictures, I thought overall they were good, but when seeing the 1970s ones for the first time, could really see why it was such a big show.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 26, 2020, 11:12:05 PM...Terrible Bergerac remake imminent I reckon.

Can't be worse than the original.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 27, 2020, 07:39:26 PM

Can't be worse than the original.

Get the fuck off this forum blasphemer....HEATHEN!!!!

I'm going to print and post to you HARD COPIES of my CaB thread dedicated to Bergerac EVERY DAY OF LOCKDOWN

Ignatius_S

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 27, 2020, 07:45:11 PM
Get the fuck off this forum blasphemer....HEATHEN!!!!

I'm going to print and post to you HARD COPIES of my CaB thread dedicated to Bergerac EVERY DAY OF LOCKDOWN

Ah, my tongue was firmly in my cheek. However... the thought of hard copies of thread being posted appeals. In no time at all, I would have enough to paper the walls of one of my larger dining halls... or the Bergerac Buttery as I shall rename it.

famethrowa

Quote from: paruses on April 26, 2020, 11:11:58 PM
Now a theme tune has made me angry.

I'm angry at it again too, 2 days later. The original was a old-fashioned truck that rambled along and pushed you into a canal. This new version is a wispy fart on the breeze that makes Forrest Gump sound like Motorhead.

Norton Canes

He just said 'wanker"!

Norton Canes

Ha, it's a Douglas Camfield episode. And Michael Sheard is in it! Bliss.