Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblewrong 2020 - Round 2 - Dr Trouser vs alan nagsworth

Started by Dr Trouser, April 27, 2020, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Cerys

Yup - Cameron fingering a goat made me snort in a very unladylike fashion.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

QDRPHNC

Clear concepts, top execution, funny jokes. Classic Wimblewrong.

Cerys

touchingcloth

Great return. To borrow a phrase:

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 27, 2020, 03:08:59 PM
Clear concepts, top execution, funny jokes. Classic Wimblewrong.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Cerys on April 28, 2020, 10:35:54 AM
Great - the shadow detail especially is stunning.

I noticed that too. Did you do that shot in pixlr, nags?

chveik

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2020, 10:44:40 AM
I noticed that too. Did you do that shot in pixlr, nags?

Nah, I've steadily learned to wrangle GIMP and wield it for my own advantage. This software is fucking shite and really annoying compared to Photoshop but I'm slowly getting used to all its stupid interface issues.

For this one I used my own bedside cabinet, and the light from my lamp meant the shadowing work was relatively easy to make look decent. The burn tool is a godsend (used on the hand) but the big shadows are just layers of black pen drawing blurred and semi-transparent.

kittens

it's a great shot. upper tier wronging - i would've just done the cover and left it at that because i'm lazy and bad at photoshop. nice 1

touchingcloth

I did wonder if the photo was self-shot, Al, as I couldn't imagine many stock libraries holding that sort of image. Nicely done, I for one would love to see more people making use of practical effects as well as the old CGI.

Small Man Big Horse

Of course the most disturbing aspect is that is Nags' real hand.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 28, 2020, 10:52:54 AM
Nah, I've steadily learned to wrangle GIMP and wield it for my own advantage. This software is fucking shite and really annoying compared to Photoshop but I'm slowly getting used to all its stupid interface issues.

For this one I used my own bedside cabinet, and the light from my lamp meant the shadowing work was relatively easy to make look decent. The burn tool is a godsend (used on the hand) but the big shadows are just layers of black pen drawing blurred and semi-transparent.

Interesting. I thought it was probably more than could be accomplished by pixlr but it's a long time since I've used it. I would never have guessed that the photo was yours. It looks so much like a stock image. I use burn quite a bit myself for shadows but I find it very difficult to get an even result and it takes me ages.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 28, 2020, 11:28:53 AM
Of course the most disturbing aspect is that is Nags' real hand.

No, the most disturbing aspect is that he really does have that picture on his bedside cabinet.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2020, 12:00:43 PM
Interesting. I thought it was probably more than could be accomplished by pixlr but it's a long time since I've used it. I would never have guessed that the photo was yours. It looks so much like a stock image. I use burn quite a bit myself for shadows but I find it very difficult to get an even result and it takes me ages.

For the kind of shadow on Nags' DVD cover with a straight line, you can use something like the polygonal selection tool to mask off the shape of the shadow, feather the selection if you want a softer edge before filling it with black and adjusting the opacity to taste. It's also possible to use drop shadows, so you could create a layer of, say, the table top and hand, and use that to cast a drop shadow on the drawer.

Apologies if that's teaching you to suck eggs, and I'm sure neither are particularly advanced techniques but that's how I'd handle it in PS.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 28, 2020, 12:02:16 PM
No, the most disturbing aspect is that he really does have that picture on his bedside cabinet.

No, it's that his sole adjustment to the photo was to add the text bubble.

Cerys

Surely the most disturbing aspect is that there has been no image manipulation at all.  Nags just snapped a photo of his ordinary morning activity.

Edit - bah, too late.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 28, 2020, 12:05:10 PM
For the kind of shadow on Nags' DVD cover with a straight line, you can use something like the polygonal selection tool to mask off the shape of the shadow, feather the selection if you want a softer edge before filling it with black and adjusting the opacity to taste. It's also possible to use drop shadows, so you could create a layer of, say, the table top and hand, and use that to cast a drop shadow on the drawer.

Apologies if that's teaching you to suck eggs, and I'm sure neither are particularly advanced techniques but that's how I'd handle it in PS.

Yes, I'd have probably used the first option or Nags's method. I hadn't thought about the drop shadow, though. It's shadows of complicated shapes I struggle with rather than straight edges. I'll see if a drop shadow is doable the next time this comes up. Thanks for the advice.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 28, 2020, 12:06:01 PM
No, it's that his sole adjustment to the photo was to add the text bubble.

Yes, that's fair.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 28, 2020, 12:05:10 PM
For the kind of shadow on Nags' DVD cover with a straight line, you can use something like the polygonal selection tool to mask off the shape of the shadow, feather the selection if you want a softer edge before filling it with black and adjusting the opacity to taste.

That is how I did it for the shadow on the case, yeah. The shadow under the hand was the same method but using the brush tool for more accurate shaping.

Crabwalk

Fantastic match so far! Agreed that Nags's 'shopping is especially superb here.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

touchingcloth

Has anyone ever used https://www.remove.bg/? It does a freakishly good job of cutting out humans from the background of whatever image they're on, and I tend to use it as my first port of call before faffing about with lasso tools these days. It gives you a relatively low res output file, but it's fine for something like Wimblewrong where IMAGES MUST BE 800x600 or 600x800, and you can hack it a bit by using the low res output file, upscaling it to the size of your source image and using it as a mask for the source.

AIR YOUR WRONGING TIPS HERE THIS IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE THREAD

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Cerys

ZoyzaSorris

Wonderfully bonkers, all round a lot of enjoyment to be had here so far!