Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio Murdoch arrives to kick Radio 4 while its down

Started by idunnosomename, April 27, 2020, 04:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

https://www.news.co.uk/2020/04/news-uk-unveils-latest-signings-to-times-radio-set-to-launch-this-summer/

QuoteAasmah Mir and Stig Abell to helm breakfast Monday to Thursday
Luke Jones and Jenny Kleeman to present breakfast Friday to Sunday
Award-winning Times Red Box podcast host Matt Chorley takes the mid-morning slot
Channel 4 News presenter Cathy Newman to host Friday at drive
News UK today unveils the latest signings to Times Radio, including Aasmah Mir, Stig Abell, Luke Jones, Jenny Kleeman, Matt Chorley and Cathy Newman.

Times Radio is the new national digital news radio station bringing together the peerless journalistic expertise of The Times and The Sunday Times with the world-class speech radio and podcasting experience of Wireless, the company behind talkSPORT, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio.

Leading the line-up and waking up listeners to informative discussion, quality news and compelling analysis at breakfast from Monday to Thursday will be Sony Gold award-winning broadcaster Aasmah Mir and broadcaster and editor of the Times Literary Supplement Stig Abell. Aasmah has most recently presented Saturday Live on BBC Radio 4, and was previously co-presenter of BBC Radio 5 Live Drive. Stig has presented Front Row on BBC Radio 4 and hosts the TLS podcast.

i mean it sounds utterly fucking beige shit but if they've managed to poach Aasmah Mir and Stig "I hope everyone forgets I used to edit the Sun" Abell from Radio 4, if they start withholding Murdoch press guests like Tom Newton Dunn from it, it'll be just The Archers and a voice reading out the weather out at sea because it's soothing and relaxing even if it is completely unnecessary for shipping and has been so for decades

Blumf

Buelligan

I heard some talk they'd be featuring some DADDY anuses.  Don't know if it's true.

pigamus

Well Aasmah Mir presented Saturday Live, which a lot of Radio 4 listeners can't stand, so I don't think they'll be too heartbroken.

idunnosomename

i always hated saturday live but it is the sort of glossy supplement sort of shite they'll be aiming for. betcha anything caitlin moran shows up

Hahaha, Stig Abell hired himself to host the breakfast show. The fucking hubris of that.

pigamus

I thought "Stig" was something invented by Jeremy Clarkson, I didn't realise it was the name of an actual man

Fambo Number Mive

Surprised Cathy Newman's getting involved with this shite.

This is like Change UK in radio form.

According to Private Eye, Pienaar was ejected from the BBC pretty unceremoniously after he told them he planned to join this lot.

Buelligan

Pienaar is a perfect fit for this lot.  I can't bear him.

canadagoose

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 27, 2020, 06:14:25 PM
This is like Change UK in radio form.

According to Private Eye, Pienaar was ejected from the BBC pretty unceremoniously after he told them he planned to join this lot.
Hopefully it'll be just as dead in a similar timespan too.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: pigamus on April 27, 2020, 05:54:31 PM
I thought "Stig" was something invented by Jeremy Clarkson, I didn't realise it was the name of an actual man

I had to play a clip to clock him, he's a bit of a Trendy Vicar isn't he? 

He was also the mind behind the recent 100 Novels That Shaped Our World that no-one asked for:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/494P41NCbVYHlY319VwGbxp/explore-the-list-of-100-novels-that-shaped-our-world

pigamus

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 27, 2020, 05:56:23 PM
Surprised Cathy Newman's getting involved with this shite.

Me too. Maybe she needs the money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On the same fucking merry-go-round as the rest on them.

Pingers

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 27, 2020, 05:47:33 PM
Hahaha, Stig Abell hired himself to host the breakfast show. The fucking hubris of that.

Maybe he's an actual self-facilitating media node.

BlodwynPig

Newman alludes to good journalism but C4 are tainted now

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 27, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
if they start withholding Murdoch press guests like Tom Newton Dunn from it, it'll be just The Archers and a voice reading out the weather out at sea because it's soothing and relaxing even if it is completely unnecessary for shipping and has been so for decades

You could say that it'd be '...losing its identity.'

Jasha

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 27, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
On the same fucking merry-go-round as the rest on them.

Kay Burley checks her missed calls expectantly

Blinder Data

I doubt I'll listen to this. I barely read The Times so having its sensibleness rammed down my ears is a horrid prospect.

However, I simply must defend John Pienaar. Not for anything he's ever done, just as a concept.

His name is Pienarr (pronounces pee-narr). He has a voice like smoked butter. And he looks like a walrus. For these reasons alone, he should continue existing.

buttgammon

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 28, 2020, 03:01:21 PM
I doubt I'll listen to this. I barely read The Times so having its sensibleness rammed down my ears is a horrid prospect.

However, I simply must defend John Pienaar. Not for anything he's ever done, just as a concept.

His name is Pienarr (pronounces pee-narr). He has a voice like smoked butter. And he looks like a walrus. For these reasons alone, he should continue existing.

Yes, remember his terrifying cameo in Pingu?

idunnosomename

I never saw it at the time (and I'm not sure if it was ever on CBBC), but I can see how it would've terrified me as a child. I think the sealion/seal/walrus thing (it doesn't fit any real creature, because for a start it has human teeth) was a leftover puppet from a German advert that they just reused in Pingu. The bed growing legs and walking about is also freaky as hell. but I love it now, it's just amazing.

watch it now if you havent seen it, it's far more interesting than anything to do with the times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSb-IScr1YI

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 28, 2020, 03:01:21 PM

I once bumped into JP whilst I was walking to work as I was crossing College Green (almost directly opposite Parliament).

I was convinced I had encountered snooker ace Willie Thorne so I look forward to JP's views on his 147 break once he is on the new station.   

idunnosomename

actually watching the pingu's dream again all the walrus shots look oddly manipulated as if the puppet was never on set. his flipper looks like a completely different job. but not like you could easily do CG post hacks back in the early 90s. buzby please solve big german stop motion mammal puzzle

poodlefaker

Powerfully sexual man, Pienaar; immensely potent.

Beagle 2

I'm really confused at their strategy of launching an ad-free radio station full of presenters poached from the BBC on big contracts whilst putting all their online content behind a paywall. What are they hoping to achieve from this? It sounds like something that's going to be wound up or relaunched as something else within a year.

steveh

In the short term to try and convert people into taking out Times subscriptions, longer term possibly a broader subscription package incorporating the newspaper, website, podcasts, etc. Then there's the commercial / political aim of saying why does the BBC need Radio 2 and 5 (which it's closer to than 4 really) when Newscorp's Virgin and Times Radio do the job just as well.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 29, 2020, 08:01:19 AM
I'm really confused at their strategy of launching an ad-free radio station full of presenters poached from the BBC on big contracts whilst putting all their online content behind a paywall. What are they hoping to achieve from this? It sounds like something that's going to be wound up or relaunched as something else within a year.

The primary reason murdoch owns a newspaper is not to profit from selling newspapers. It's to push a narrative that benefits his other business interests.

You didn't have to pay a subscription to watch sky news either.

steveh

Though in the UK the Murdoch family no longer has any business interests other than newspapers and radio. They do though have an enormous cash pile from selling most of Fox to Disney.

Back in the day, The Sun and News of the World were enormous cash cows and paid for Sky and the move to the US.

Sebastian Cobb