Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Navy: 'We're not saying its aliens but...'

Started by dr beat, April 27, 2020, 09:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/27/dod_ufo_video/
QuoteThe footage has already been widely circulated online, thanks to Blink-182 guitarist Tom DeLonge: he is on a mission to obtain and publicly distribute UFO sightings via his To the Stars organization, and revealed the trio of videos between December 2017 and March 2018.

PlanktonSideburns

Would love it if it's him what blows the lid off the aliens thing

Cold Meat Platter

One of the pilots involved in this was on the Joe Rogan podcast and he came across as a massive gobshite.

PlanktonSideburns

Isn't this one of those stories that somehow gets reported as breaking news every 2-3 years? (I mean this exact story, not just UFOs in general.)

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 27, 2020, 10:48:28 PM
One of the pilots involved in this was on the Joe Rogan podcast and he came across as a massive gobshite.
that's because joe rogan is a massive gobshite

Sony Walkman Prophecies

There seems to be one of these every year now. At this point you just have accept that there are very odd and high-speed 'things' in our atmosphere that don't seem to be natural phenomena (they change direction and speed) but don't seem to be part of any known government project. The only thing I'd like to see is some slightly better footage given we now have 4K. We've got some tasty footage to come I reckon.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 27, 2020, 11:43:30 PM
that's because joe rogan is a massive gobshite

Even next to Rogan he seemed like a gobshite. Rogan is super-credulous when it comes to this stuff.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 27, 2020, 11:11:51 PMIsn't this one of those stories that somehow gets reported as breaking news every 2-3 years? (I mean this exact story, not just UFOs in general.)

Sort of, yes.  I certainly remember it from around 3 years ago.

The BBC News article seems to confirm this, saying:

QuoteThe videos had already been leaked in 2007 and 2017.

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 27, 2020, 10:48:28 PM

With all due respect to our beloved armed forces I think you have to be a bit of a knob if you want to fly death planes for a living. But he didn't come across as unintelligent or derranged.

I think the whole event is so bizaare nobody knows what to do with it. You wouldn't believe it even if they did have 4K, ultra-wide, sea-level footage because it's ridiculous. The debunking videos I've seen though are also silly. Yes, let's just ignore the primary evidence of highly credible eyewitness testimony and analyse the video out of context. Turns out all video footage can be lens dust or faked. Who knew?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on April 28, 2020, 03:57:50 PM
There seems to be one of these every year now. At this point you just have accept that there are very odd and high-speed 'things' in our atmosphere that don't seem to be natural phenomena (they change direction and speed) but don't seem to be part of any known government project. The only thing I'd like to see is some slightly better footage given we now have 4K. We've got some tasty footage to come I reckon.

Most FLIR cameras aren't 4k and probably never will be (or at least not within our lifetimes).

Goldentony

is there a decent non psychotic rundown of whats going on with these in longform video

buzby

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 03, 2020, 08:17:04 PM
Most FLIR cameras aren't 4k and probably never will be (or at least not within our lifetimes).
I think a 4K FLIR sesnor is pretty much a pipe dream, especially one that could fit in a targetting pod on an aircraft. The Raytheon ATFLIR used on the US Navy Hornets and Super Hornets uses an uncooled IR staring array with a resolution of 640x480 pixels. The pixel pitch of the array is 25 microns. A full frame DSLR CCD sensor has a pixel pitch of 8 microns, and has a much larger array (IR sensor arrays need bigger pixels to collect more lIR radiation than a visible light sensor needs). The ATFLIR does have an optical system that allows up to 30x magnification too, but obviously at much reduced field of view.

gib

buzby, please just tell us if it was UFOs in the clip

idunnosomename

there are some flying objects that are unidentified. whoop de fuck

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 03, 2020, 11:58:07 PM
there are some flying objects that are unidentified. whoop de fuck

Cheers for the input. Feel free to contribute to any other conversations you don't feel are worth pursuing.

idunnosomename

buzby

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 04, 2020, 12:46:24 AM
I was thinking more drones re: 4K.
You can't get a 4K thermal imaging camera full stop. It doesn't matter what aerial vehicle you attach it to (and for one with the optics required for a long-range targetting system a drne needs to be the size of a Reaper or Global Hawk, which are basically pilotless planes).

As an aside, the poor quality of the IR imaging from targetting pods is one of the reasons why the U2/TR1 is still in service for reconnaissance missions - it's SYERS 2 electro-optical camera system is far in advance image quality-wise of anything on a fighter or UAV (though tit is much larger than a pod, taking up it's entire payload bay). For visible-wavelength imaging the wet-film Optical Bar Camera system (originally developed for the SR71 Blackbird in the 60s) is still the preferred option, as it gives massively higher resolution imaging than any current digital sensor system, and over a much wider field of view (70 miles either side of the aircraft).

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Sorry I meant 4K on a standard camera, re: drones. Very interesting info all the same. Explains why thermal footage never seems to improve in quality.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Coincidentally, my grandfather took reconnaissance photographs via aircraft during War War II. Shame he's dead. Would have been interesting to find out what sort of kit he was using.

Jim Bob

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 04, 2020, 12:53:46 AM
UFOs do not equal aliens is all im saying

Damn straight.

"I don't believe in UFOs" ~ Idiots (far too often).

Of course UFOs exist, unless you believe that nobody ever throughout the entire history of mankind has failed to personally identify a flying object.

buzby

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 04, 2020, 03:52:09 AM
Coincidentally, my grandfather took reconnaissance photographs via aircraft during War War II. Shame he's dead. Would have been interesting to find out what sort of kit he was using.
Most likely the Williamson F24 camera, manufactured by Vinten.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Mr_Simnock

Just remembered I managed recently to grab the last amazon copy of this huge 2 tome encylcopedia - wonder if it has this incident covered?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

That looks bloody amazing. If only I had near £300 quid to spare on a book, I would definitely buy it.

Saw this while in Canada last year, looks like a fun read: https://www.fourcornersbooks.co.uk/books/ufo-drawings/

Mr_Simnock

I paid nowhere near £300, that's just some pratt wanting to make some profit on a rarish book. I did pay over a hundred but then again, it's had a small print run, it's also a heavy and large double book you can't order direct from the publisher outside of the US so it's no wonder it's the price it is. I think there is an ebook version, but I always prefer the real thing with books I'm very keen on owning.

That book you quote is by David Clark, a good egg on the whole even if he does have a rather dismissive attitude to the whole UFO subject (which sometimes is maybe what is needed when discussing something like UFO's). I might get that next as he is a great researcher if nothing else and also did a good job of getting the message out about these national archive files when they were available for a while to joe public some years ago (i don't think the files can be down loaded anymore from any gov web site)

He used to have a column in Fortean Times each month a few years back that almost always had a very negative attitude to the UFO question. I'm glad they got rid in the end as his column was basically 'UFO's are crap' and brought absolutely nothing to the table. His best comment (not long before they got rid) was 'there isn't actually any evidence for any fortean phenomenon' which appart from being absolute bollocks must have pissed off the editors no end, I mean why the fuck did he keep doing articles for the magazine then.

Bence Fekete

If you were attacked by a giant polo on your way home from the pub and you told your mates they would laugh in your face and say you're full of shit but then you would say, nah, look, I got CCTV footage from a nearby garage and you show them the video and they'd go yes mate whatever.