Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Synchronicity

Started by Cerys, April 28, 2020, 10:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

I was just reading the BBC news site while listening to my current playlist.  'Lot of individual stories about people dying,' I mused.  Whereupon Don't Fear The Reaper started.

Dex Sawash

Police consider not doing a rewrite

JesusAndYourBush

Quite a few times I've been doing a crossword in the paper and as I'm writing in a word someone on the radio or TV says the word - literally as I'm in the middle of writing it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 29, 2020, 12:39:46 AM
Quite a few times I've been doing a crossword in the paper and as I'm writing in a word someone on the radio or TV says the word - literally as I'm in the middle of writing it.

We planned that, glad you noticed.

Uncle TechTip

Many songs are about death so at what point does it pass from synchronicity to probabilistic event?

Cerys

You may have a point.  Not least because Don't Pay The Ferryman, Stairway to Heaven and Gone Away are also on that playlist.

bgmnts

I'm listening to The Acid Queen as performed by Tina Turner and i'm stone cold sober and have never done acid.

Fucks that theory up.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on April 28, 2020, 10:15:37 PM
I was just reading the BBC news site while listening to my current playlist.  'Lot of individual stories about people dying,' I mused.  Whereupon Don't Fear The Reaper started.

The only song written about death; what are the chances?

EDIT: snap

Pingers

I did the most appalling, rancid, fetid, aggressive and combative shit the very same second that Boris Johnson's 87th child was expelled into the world.

Cerys

Proof, if  proof were needed, that Boris Johnson shagged Pingers.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 29, 2020, 01:20:16 AM
Many songs are about death so at what point does it pass from synchronicity to probabilistic event?

It's synchronicity when a mind is there to perceive the probabilistic event.

Johnny Yesno

Sheepy, tell us about the bra alarm again.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I was just sat there wanking and She Bop came on the radio. Oh, how I laughed as I powered my way through the vinegar strokes, reaching climax during the chorus. Then I realised the song was about female wanking so it probably doesn't count.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 29, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
The song was about female wanking so it probably doesn't count.

Well fuck my "hat"

salr

Hate this kind of thing.

Drives me mad ! !

Bence Fekete

Something going on with this in my opinion.

When you think about it all 'events' of anything ever are just arbitrary, subjective definitions. So given an event is this incredibly constructed, highly improbable 'thing' when two of them collide in a way that forms a new 'event' this weird new event emerges that could only have been constructed by those two improbable events colliding.

It's a whole new dimension of *things*

.... but things with massive quantum blockchains of improbable events to back them up.

History makes time and lays it out in mostly probable events but occassionally improbable events. You notice them and you go, oh, funny that, then forget all about it and get on with your life. But they actually are quite meaningful and random unlikely events. It's at least as meaningful as anything else you experience in life, but probably more because it's weird.

All advertising is trying to trick you with synchronicity. Future people will look back and see that we OD'ed on synchronicity by running out of exciting stuff to synchronistically purchase. Synchronicity could also point to a time in our ancestral past when everything we ever did just felt *correct* and in sync with reality. And who wouldn't think reality was made of magic beans if you were born as Madonna or Status Quo?

Do you think if Status Quo didn't believe in synchronicity he'd be where he is today? Fuck off.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 29, 2020, 03:08:31 PM
Sheepy, tell us about the bra alarm again.

Blimey, that's going back!  And I'm not at all sure it counts as an example of synchronicity, for that matter.  But sure, especially as Google found it immediately (for once).

Although I'd remembered I'd told the story on here before, I'd quite forgotten that I actually had the temerity to start a whole thread about it!

Anyway, here you go:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 16, 2004, 10:03:45 PMAbout ten [now 26!!] years ago, my then g/f and I had another couple round to stay for a few days.  One Sunday morning, after an hour or two of lounging around in dressing gowns watching telly etc., the other girl and I nipped upstairs to (separately!) get properly dressed while my g/f cooked us all breakfast.  Unfortunately g/f burnt the toast or something, and the smoke alarm on the upstairs landing went off.  Our guest girlie cried "What the fuck?!" or something similar, and after a short pause came rushing out of the guest bedroom looking white as a sheet.  Apparently the alarm had gone off at JUST the instant she'd unhooked the catches on the bra she'd been wearing, and she was convinced for a moment or two that our house was equipped with some amazing and scary device that she referred to as a "Bra Alarm".  She was really freaked out, until all the inevitable hilarity followed.

Although reading them back now, I prefer this one, partly because, unlike the bra alarm (and the other story about the cat), I now have no memory of it!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 16, 2004, 10:03:45 PM[My then-g/f] and I were driving along in the car, with me behind the wheel.  On the tape deck was "Dark Side of the Moon", and the first two or three tracks had gone by.  I could tell she wasn't really in the mood for such music, so I suggested she open the glove compartment (which had my tape rack in) and pull out a tape more to her liking.  Have you guessed it yet?  At the exact instant that she popped open the glove compartment, all the alarm clocks from the start of "Time" went off in all their loud and stereophonic glory.  I could not have planned it better if I'd tried.  She nearly leapt through the roof in fright... :-)

Mind you, some of the other examples in that thread ARE synchronicity...

Cerys

I think my favourite recent ones have been someone knocking on the door a split second after I stand up. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 04, 2020, 03:40:03 PM
Blimey, that's going back!  And I'm not at all sure it counts as an example of synchronicity, for that matter.  But sure, especially as Google found it immediately (for once).

Although I'd remembered I'd told the story on here before, I'd quite forgotten that I actually had the temerity to start a whole thread about it!

Anyway, here you go:

Although reading them back now, I prefer this one, partly because, unlike the bra alarm (and the other story about the cat), I now have no memory of it!

Mind you, some of the other examples in that thread ARE synchronicity...

Guess what album im listening to as i started to read that?

Yep!

Glove box shock by The Smoke Detectors

Replies From View

synchronARSEity more like

Replies From View

QUIM-BUM-ARSE-TITTY more like

Bence Fekete

Proactively seeking congruence with the chronic back pain of the metropolis.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Cerys on May 04, 2020, 04:46:14 PM
I think my favourite recent ones have been someone knocking on the door a split second after I stand up. 

I can empathise with this, any time i need to say something important to more than one person the phone always rings on my third word.

Cerys

That's just plain unfortunate.  With mine it makes people think I predicted the aforementioned knocking.

Ray Travez

The bra-alarm story reminded me of this- on a bus with a friend of mine, he became convinced that the driver was controlling the bus with his sneezes. The driver sneezed loudly and the bus turned left; sneezed again and it stopped, and so on. My friend was of course on acid.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 04, 2020, 03:40:03 PM

Ah, nice. I had misremembered that story as the alarm going off as you unhooked your girlfriend's bra, so I'm glad I didn't attempt to relate it.

Surely, those unconnected events seemingly being connected in the mind of the person witnessing them is classic synchronicity. Maybe my understanding is off.

Johnny Yesno

I was sitting with a friend in the local park one evening last year having a drink and listening to a radio show she had downloaded on her phone when a fox strolled past just as they played a track by John Fox.

KennyMonster

I got the same feeling recently when Whitney Houston's "My name is not Susan" came on the radio.

During that exact same time my name also wasn't Susan.

Johnny Yesno

Fuck! Exactly at the same time, you say? That is incredible.

But get this: I once heard I Don't Like Cricket at the exact same time as I didn't like cricket.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 05, 2020, 03:40:34 PMSurely, those unconnected events seemingly being connected in the mind of the person witnessing them is classic synchronicity.

Ooooh now that's an interesting concept!  Subjective synchronicity!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 05, 2020, 03:40:34 PMMaybe my understanding is off.

Or mine. :-D