Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadly Premonition 2 on Switch

Started by Mister Six, April 28, 2020, 11:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

That Twin Peaks knock-off you like is going to come back in style.

Trailer here - looks like it'll be ripping off True Detective this time too.

Absurdly excited. I love Agent York and his janky, barely functional game world. Didn't finish the original before my 360 packed in, so I hope they'll convert the original to Switch too.

madhair60

the original came out on Switch ages ago mate

Mister Six

WHAAAAAAAA?!

BEST QUARANTINE EVER!

Just got to wrest control off my wife in-between Animal Crossing stretches.

bgmnts

Would love to play that mess using motion controls!

buntyman

Thanks for the reminder - I've had the original on my Switch wishlist since it was announced and see it's half price at the moment. Will give it a go.

Mister Six

Just playing it again, and good lord I'd forgotten how shite the driving is in this. Impossible to turn a corner without overcompensating and zig-zagging like Gazza on the dodgems. Syphilis-class simulation. Can't believe anyone has ever bothered with the racing minigames.

The world and characters are so bloody likeable and compelling though. And I love how videogamey it is. Pick up a five-foot floating medal so the FBI will pay me $10 for "Agent Honor"? All right then.

Abnormal Palm

Bought this cos it's on sale at the mo. Not sure if it'll be my thing but always had some curiosity.

Mister Six

Absolutely loving Deadly Premonition 1 now. I've even got good enough at the shitty driving that I won the three races without too much hassle. It's just such a joy meeting all these weirdos and poking around in their lives, and now I have the wrench, combat is done and dusted incredibly quickly. Really hoping DP2 keeps combat to a minimum and expands on the investigative/exploration/puzzle-solving element. Oh, and fixes the fucking map so it doesn't rotate around the character!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

When I was playing Deadly Premonition on the 360 I found that printing out this map was incredibly useful:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/map/7557-greenvale-map

Mister Six

Lovely, thanks!

Is there any point buying a car? The rozzermobiles are serving me well enough.

sambwel

At the risk of resurrecting a dead thread, just finished this recently on Switch and loved every terrible minute. God only knows what the kids who played this without having seen Twin Peaks must have thought of it all - as much as it ends up diverging from TP, the entire setting and vibe - everything that excuses and enhances the jankiness of it all - is lifted wholesale.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 14, 2020, 07:25:41 PM
Is there any point buying a car? The rozzermobiles are serving me well enough.

Yeah I reckon. Ushah's car is a good choice for speed and handling, much more pleasant than the standard ride. Still not great though haha

Not sure how I feel about the sequel, but I think I'll just do what I did with the first one and wait for a steep discount down the track.

Mister Six

Well more resting than dead, I hope, since DP2 isn't out yet.

Been giving it a rest for a while but I'll get back into it soon. Really gunning to do every side quest, but it's a pain in the arse sometimes, trying to figure out the exact time to call in on Ushah to pick up his mission, and that kind of thing.

buntyman

Anyone picked this up yet? I see it's getting fairly middling reviews, which isn't surprising, but even devotees of the DP1 seem a bit underwhelmed.
I've just finished playing through the first one and loved it but might bide my time a wait for it to get a bit cheaper while fannying around on the side quests.

Mister Six

The talk of a poor frame rate has put me right off it. DP1 was made with an underpowered engine being made to do things it was ill-equipped for. Why the hell is this a problem for the sequel?!

For all it's janky shitness, I love the original and it was only the juddering frame rate that marred my fun. Whenever I got to a quiet bit of the map and everything suddenly smoothed out my heart soared and I saw how the game could have played. I think I'll wait for the PS4 port - not that that did much for the frame rate in the Switch port - or until I can get it cheapish.

Thursday

It's not even like the frame rate was particularly terrible in the original, it was janky, but it functioned fine. Some of the footage I've seen of this is shocking, and I'm not usually someone that get's too fussed about these technical issues.

I didn't get that far into the first game because the combat sections were so tedious that I couldn't be bothered, but I was enjoying the story and all it's weirdness, the technical issues and some of the gameplay design were just a barrier to it. They seem to have misunderstood it's cult success and thought that technical issues were part of it so they could get away with not bothering here. And there's a section of fanboys that'll defend it no matter what in spite of these problems.

I might still give it a go some day, but it seems like a real missed opportunity to do a version of Deadly Premonition that ironed out the flaws.

Mister Six

The combat in DP1 is solved by getting the wrench, which basically kills everything in one hit, and makes those sections almost perfunctory. I'm surprised they bothered with combat this time around, given that it was forced into the last game by some exec. Seems weird to not use the opportunity to make a game closer to what was originally envisioned. Or maybe the liked it, in the end...

petercussing

I should have been playing this all weekend but game were dicks and just sent me the bonus items and no game, so won't get it until tomoz.

I don't really care that much about the frame rate outside if the game is good otherwise, but we'll see whether i stick to that notion when i start playing.

It's weird that they've had frame rate issue with most of the ports of DP 1, when the 360 version ran great, and allegedly even better when on Xbone. DP1 on the switch is sposed to be all glitchy and the pc version barely works.

Mister Six

DP1's run all right for me on the Switch, with only the occasional graphical glitch (building window textures not loading in sometimes). The frame rate gets really shoddy sometimes, though, which takes me out of it.

Rev+

Not that I have a Switch, but I would have been interested in the inevitable PC port were it not for some of the stuff that's being said about its more 'problematic' elements.  It sounds more poorly-judged than malicious, but it's disappointing.

sambwel

Quote from: Rev+ on July 12, 2020, 10:30:33 PM
Not that I have a Switch, but I would have been interested in the inevitable PC port were it not for some of the stuff that's being said about its more 'problematic' elements.  It sounds more poorly-judged than malicious, but it's disappointing.

In case you haven't seen it already you might be interested in Swery's response to the concerns that have been raised: https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/1282804805140746240

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Pink Gregory

See Graham?  It didn't have to be this way.

sambwel

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 15, 2020, 05:54:17 AM
Sanity checked

A programming term. As he said in his tweet, he composed this announcement himself using google translate. Awkward phrasing but I think the intended meaning is clear enough.

Rev+

That's a decent response, and the sort of thing you should do when pulled up on something like this (although he doesn't mention the racist stuff there, hopefully that'll be dropped too).  Swery seems like a decent sort, and we can all misjudge things.

buntyman

Nobody wants to play a sanity-checked deadly premonition

petercussing

Having played this properly I must say all you folks that liked the first, buy this, you'll really like it i reckon. At first i was a bit of a mind that they'd leaned too knowingly into the vibe of the first but when i played a smidge further it was nothing but delightful and had me genuinely cracking up loads of times.

I've not found the frame rate issues that troubling, but there's been acouple of updates so maybe they sorted it a bit. There was a small amount of retooling my brain that i'm playing a DP game, like the controls are still a little janky, etc. but it's just great fun so far.

Oh yeah edit: there's a nice touch with a funny young girl who's your side kick and acts as the amusing voice of reason who is all like, "wtf fuck is wrong with you" when you go round being weird on your investigations.

petercussing

I've literally just finished this and it's fucking awesome. If you liked the first game then get this played asap. It expands on the story in a great way and while the main story isn't quite as strong as the first i think that's more because i know what to look out from a swery/deadly prem game more so was more aware of who might happen to be doing stuff, but the overarching story it also has is ace.

I was soooo happy to spend time with York et al again, it was truely joyful and nearly made me cry cos im so invested in him as a character and the world , on top of loving the first so much.

Any frame rate issues weren't bad and it's been updated 3 times now. Not sure about the original trans story and whether it's been changed, but it's more clumsy rather than spiteful.

Buy DP2 or you'll get DP'ed in your mind holes.