Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AMC Throws a Hissy Fit

Started by Blumf, April 29, 2020, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Over cinematic masterpiece Trolls World Tour no less:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/amc-theatres-universal-movie-ban-trolls-world-tour-stream-online-home-a9489316.html
QuoteThe world's largest cinema chain, AMC, will no longer distribute Universal films following comments made about the success of Trolls World Tour's home release.

With coronavirus bringing the film industry to a halt, Universal moved the Trolls sequel to video on demand on 10 April, making an estimated $100m in North America in the three weeks since.

Addressing the future of film release, NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell told the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday that even after cinemas reopened, the company would keep releasing films in both formats.

In rebuttal, AMC Theatres chair-CEO Adam Aron wrote a letter to Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman Donna Langley branding Shell's words "unacceptable".

This is worrying. They'll miss out on Fast & Furious 9!! Not to mention Untitled DreamWorks Animation film!

joaquin closet

Mister Six

Both are faceless corporations that only care about money so taking sides feels weird, but their response is fair enough. Sadly, it'll mean even more screens given over to Disney.

Custard

This does seem like a bit of a hasty decision by Universal

People may be renting the new films, but that's because they can't go to the pictures! Once normality is back, if it ever is, then there will probably be a big drop off in home rentals

Or it'll go the other way, and effectively kill cinema. That'd be shit

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on April 29, 2020, 05:41:22 PM
Both are faceless corporations that only care about money so taking sides feels weird, but their response is fair enough. Sadly, it'll mean even more screens given over to Disney.

I suspect that universal are probably offering AMC the same deal they did before but with a production that will be less lucrative for them with on demand streaming in competition, what would probably need to happen in some kind of deal with the cinemas getting a higher percentage to account for lost business.

Noodle Lizard

It was only a matter of time before this became commonplace anyway, virus or not. Cinemas will exist as long as they still serve a purpose. The AMC near me is overpriced and will have something go wrong 9 out of 10 times (projection, sound, oversold, playing the wrong fucking movie etc.) That's not the kind of experience worth trying too hard to save.

As for their reaction, it's a bit of a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face - Universal is one of the biggest and highest-grossing studios, beaten only by Disney and (I think) Warner Bros., so if the complaint is about lost revenue then I dunno. I'm sure they'll work something out anyway.

idunnosomename

YOU WOULDNT PAY 20 DOLLARS TO STREAM A CAR

QDRPHNC

What Noodle Lizard said.

My local second run theatre shows classics, art house and big blockbusters a few weeks after release. Tickets are $10, it's never more than half full, I can have a beer or a glass of wine and it's run by lovely people.

The Cineplex down the street, when you factor in all the food, costs me and the boy about $60 to see a film. Then there's the humiliation of being forced to look at an idiot on a screen badgering me to join in the phone trivia game for 20 minutes so I can earn Cineplex Points like a cunt.

Dewt

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 01, 2020, 12:39:26 PM
My local second run theatre shows classics, art house and big blockbusters a few weeks after release. Tickets are $10, it's never more than half full, I can have a beer or a glass of wine and it's run by lovely people.
And that's what will exist when the likes of AMC are gone.

Blumf

Yep. If cinemas actually provided a pleasant experience, they wouldn't have to worry about day-one streaming releases.

Custard

I only have an Odeon near me, and I can genuinely say that I hardly ever have any issues there. Probably cos I mainly go after work, during the day, so it's usually near empty, but I never have noisy audiences or faulty projections etc

Plus it is quite an enjoyable experience now, as they've stuck in those comfy armchairs in every screen. Somehow this makes people talk even less. Maybe it's cos there's a bit more distance between people

I'd be sad to see cinemas die out, as it can be great fun at times to watch a film amongst an excited audience. Had a brilliant experience going to see Avengers Endgame, as the audience were loving every second, and their reactions were adding to the excitement. One of my fondest cinema experiences, though I can imagine that sounds like hell to some. When a big lad next to me starting crying, it was the cherry on the top

peanutbutter

Quote from: Blumf on May 01, 2020, 01:41:11 PM
Yep. If cinemas actually provided a pleasant experience, they wouldn't have to worry about day-one streaming releases.
Nah, they absolutely would. A lot of people don't really grasp the full range of benefits to the viewing experience beyond it being a very large screen. A lot of people view the fact you can't pause it as an outright negative rather than something which forces you to remain engaged with the story as intended.
It's possible a few months of nothing but streaming will change that but I'm not so sure. I can't imagine many of these 2.5+ hour long blockbusters going down half as well when the people are watching them at home though.

That being said, some chains are fucking shit. I've not had any issues with Odeon but Vue routinely seems to fuck something or another up with the projection, Picturehouse have cropped the last two films I've seen there, the absence of curtains in most multiplexes is bullshit, there's almost always one screen that's such a total makeshift piece of shit (usually showing the one film I want to see) that they should be ashamed of themselves for screening stuff in

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 01, 2020, 02:30:21 PM
the absence of curtains in most multiplexes is bullshit

Yeah, you're always getting passers-by pressing their noses against the window trying to see the screen.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've only just realised that AMC the cinema chain is nothing to do with AMC the telly channel. You'd have thought that would be against copyright.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 01, 2020, 02:05:27 PM
I'd be sad to see cinemas die out, as it can be great fun at times to watch a film amongst an excited audience. Had a brilliant experience going to see Avengers Endgame, as the audience were loving every second, and their reactions were adding to the excitement. One of my fondest cinema experiences, though I can imagine that sounds like hell to some. When a big lad next to me starting crying, it was the cherry on the top
Same here. More than the big screen, booming sound, or latest releases, it's the shared experience that really makes it for me (assuming the audience is engaged with the film).

I wouldn't be sorry to see Curzon cinemas naff off though. Overpriced cack, they are.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 01, 2020, 03:47:05 PM
I've only just realised that AMC the cinema chain is nothing to do with AMC the telly channel. You'd have thought that would be against copyright.

Or long defunct AMC the car maker (of James Bond car stunt fame)

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Blumf on May 01, 2020, 04:00:17 PM

No wonder they went out of business, the wheels go on the bottom.

Jim Bob

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 01, 2020, 12:39:26 PM
Then there's the humiliation of being forced to look at an idiot on a screen badgering me to join in the phone trivia game for 20 minutes so I can earn Cineplex Points like a cunt.

Please tell me that this isn't some sort of trivia game encouraging people to actively use their phones during the movie?

Noodle Lizard

Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate the cinema as much as anyone, but it's hard to sympathize with one of the biggest chains throwing their toys out of the pram over a very predictable advance in distribution rather than working to maintain their relevance. If their concern is that a same-day streaming release would mean everyone would choose to watch a film at home instead, then they're at least partially acknowledging that it's preferable to what they provide.

buzby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 01, 2020, 03:47:05 PM
Trademark, not copyright. As long as you aren't operating in the same market sector, there's noting to stop you registering a wordmark or trademark that's the same as an existing one. For example, if AMC Cinemas want edto start a streaming service, they would need t ouse a different name as AMC Networks already use the trademark AMC in that sector. There are hundreds of companies called AMC operating in different sectors around the world.

Quote from: Blumf on May 01, 2020, 04:00:17 PM
Part of American Motors is still going - AM General, it's former military vehicle division, who went on to make the Humvee.

madhair60

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 01, 2020, 07:18:17 PM
Please tell me that this isn't some sort of trivia game encouraging people to actively use their phones during the movie?

Hahaha, ohhhhh yeah! My local used to do this thing encouraging you to keep your phone for, and I quote, "treats and rewards". Unless the reward is the fucking eternal reward, just fucking fuck the fucking fuck off, fuckers.

Jim Bob

Quote from: madhair60 on May 01, 2020, 09:55:36 PM
Hahaha, ohhhhh yeah! My local used to do this thing encouraging you to keep your phone for, and I quote, "treats and rewards". Unless the reward is the fucking eternal reward, just fucking fuck the fucking fuck off, fuckers.

For fuck's sake... and they wonder why less people are inclined to go to the cinema these days?  If they want to cater to the crowd of plebs with no love or appreciation for film and encourage them to light up the screening room with their phones and encourage them to talk and kick seats or whatever else, then they deserve to fail.  May as well target their marketing towards zoos, in the hope of attracting howler monkeys.

wooders1978

Cinemas days were massively numbered anyway, in fact I am kinda surprised it took an event like covid19 to really bring 'em down to be honest

I've hated going to the cinema for a number of years now, largely because I get a much better cinematic experience at home with my home cinema setup and lack of general public to concern myself with

I can't blame the studios for wanting to switch to a dual release system as they are missing out on dollar for people like me who would have happily paid fifteen quid say to watch joker on my home rig on release, probably more than they would have got from the cinema, even if I had a few mates round to watch it

kittens

used to go to my local cinema two or three times a week until they introduced 'kick-a-chair evenings'. at first it was only every other tuesday, but soon people heard about it and it became so popular that basically every night was kick-a-chair night. feel like an absolute mug paying £75 a ticket plus £50 for popcorn only to have my chair kicked all the way through "my spy".

Bence Fekete

Wait, you get $19.99 for watching a Trolls movie?