Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Apart from numerous varieties of cut-price mini eggs (Smarties, M&Ms, Galaxy, anything but the original Cadbury's ones) I have been mostly behaving myself and eating lots of cut-price fruit, but I was a bit overjoyed to finally find some of these bad boys today:

Once exclusive to Morrison's, it looks like Scotmid/the Co-op are now stocking them. Hope they don't disappoint. Will report back later.

Cuntbeaks

Bought a pack of these out of The Asda last night.

Decent, but not enough of the smashing pineappley bit in the middle.

All gone now.

Dewt

Wouldn't normally eat this but I'm gonna make some spam musubi

I'm off meat soon

and here's a picture of me:

Buelligan

Not eating any junk food.   I never do, I'm afraid. 

Really interested by the looks of the things already posted.  Like opening a treasure chest and being confronted with a series of incredible alien objects. 

thr0b

Cadbury's Mini Eggs are 59p in Home Bargains.

Curiously, a week or two ago they were 49p.

SteveDave

I have been jonesing for some of those extremely salty thin chips (fries) that The Diner and Beer + Burger do. I get paid tomorrow and (apparently) we're flush having not spent anything on frippery for these lockdown months so I'm going to get a double decker burger with a big portion of salty chips (fries) delivered. I can not wait.

NoOffenceLynn

Lovely melted cheese on toast makes up a lot of my food consumption lately, comfort food more that junk I suppose.

Plus those Alien Spacers pickled onion crips and Wagon Wheels with the jam in, for afters
Can you tell I'm using Poundland for some of my food shop? :)

Blue Jam

Quote from: Buelligan on April 29, 2020, 02:38:51 PM
Not eating any junk food.   I never do, I'm afraid. 

Really interested by the looks of the things already posted.  Like opening a treasure chest and being confronted with a series of incredible alien objects. 

Yeah, thanks for that Buelligan.

Quote from: SteveDave on April 29, 2020, 02:44:41 PM
I have been jonesing for some of those extremely salty thin chips (fries) that The Diner and Beer + Burger do. I get paid tomorrow and (apparently) we're flush having not spent anything on frippery for these lockdown months so I'm going to get a double decker burger with a big portion of salty chips (fries) delivered. I can not wait.

The only place I ever order takeaways from is a nice Indian restaurant near my flat, but I don't consider curry to be junk food. Also they're currently closed.

Really missing Illegal Jack's here in Edinburgh, but their combo fajitas (half steak, half chicken, loads of peppers and onions, no grease) feel vaguely healthy. Could murder some of their signature Pineapple BBQ sauce right now. The Pineaple Jaffa Cakes are no substitute.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 29, 2020, 02:58:37 PM
Yeah, thanks for that Buelligan.

What?  Sorry, is this a private thread only for people who want to list the foods that are the same as each others?  I'll leave you to it then.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Dewt

Quote from: Buelligan on April 29, 2020, 03:06:02 PM
What?  Sorry, is this a private thread only for people who want to list the foods that are the same as each others?  I'll leave you to it then.
A Jaffa Cake definitely is the same thing as some noodles

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 29, 2020, 03:06:40 PM
What the fuck is Hormel?
That's who makes Spam

edit: Oh I see, it looks like it says "with real Hormel"

Blue Jam

Quote from: Buelligan on April 29, 2020, 03:06:02 PM
I'll leave you to it then.

Might be for the best, Buellers.

Quote from: Dewt on April 29, 2020, 03:10:12 PM
That's who makes Spam

I only realised SPAM® was American about a year ago. Until then I had assumed it was British, probably because of Monty Python.

I have never actually eaten SPAM®. I have feared and distrusted mystery meat ever since I was about 10 and saw a news report on mechanically recovered meat and it gave me the fear. Vegetarian junk food only for me please.

shiftwork2

I've stockpiled some delicious horrors for when I get corona-torpedoed in what I call my Cupboard Of Shit.  When I'm ill I will want that massive Pot Noodle and those Aldi biscuits.  Basically if it would survive a nuclear attack then it's good to go in.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm horrific at rattling through multipacks of crisps or a big bag of nuts in one go, so I've been trying to make my own snacks so the effort puts me off.

I've got a thing for making crisps in the microwave, but it takes about 17 minutes on full power to do them, so that works quite well at stopping me being a pig.

Secondly I had a go at baking my own spicy chickpeas, they were great but in for very slightly too long and it seems that chickpeas taste burnt when they look well done.

Blue Jam

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 29, 2020, 03:17:06 PM
I've stockpiled some delicious horrors for when I get corona-torpedoed in what I call my Cupboard Of Shit.  When I'm ill I will want that massive Pot Noodle and those Aldi biscuits.  Basically if it would survive a nuclear attack then it's good to go in.

Aldi biscuits? Shopping in Aldi and Lidl is like shopping on the continent, whatever they are I bet they're amazing.

Just had a pineapple "Jaffa" Cake. Quite nice, as Cuntbeaks says there is a noticeably reduced amount of the pectin-based pineapply bit but as it's quite sweet that suits me fine. Chocolate seems less dark than for the original variety, which is a shame. Could only eat one because of the sweetness, but less is more with these and they are probably good for people who can't help eating an entire packet in one go. They might be nice with that coconut porter I homebrewed, will try that later. Love the lairy packaging too. If the originals are a 10/10 these are an 8/10, would buy again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Y'll had Smog Balls® yet?

Available at Sainsburys and a few others that stock US Candy™

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smog-Balls-Toxic-Waste-Sweets/dp/B00DPMBAZE

Anyone who loves sour stuff will be in weird mangled heaven as a few of these flavours  are saliva mutatingly powerful. A nice combo of crunchy outer shell which breaks down into a chewy centre. If you time the crunch right after giving the noxious cunty little spheres a suckle the explosion of flavour become more intense.

Proper junk food, these. Not like, I dunno Health and Safety Balls from THE PC BRIGADE

Blue Jam

Got two packs of these for a quid each at Saino's:

Tried the Cherry Bakewell ones first. Nice and natural-tasting, more an aroma than a flavour, cherry and almond wafting up from the biscuit. Nicer than original chocolate digestives, shame they're a limited edition.

Tried the Marmalade on Toast ones too. They just taste like normal digestives with orange-flavoured chocolate. Not too sweet, very pleasant.

Not tried the Strawberries and Cream ones, probably won't bother.

imitationleather

I have eaten so, so many chekky takeaways during the lockdown. :(

I'm supporting local business, dammit!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 29, 2020, 03:23:53 PM
Aldi biscuits? Shopping in Aldi and Lidl is like shopping on the continent, whatever they are I bet they're amazing.

Just had a pineapple "Jaffa" Cake. Quite nice, as Cuntbeaks says there is a noticeably reduced amount of the pectin-based pineapply bit but as it's quite sweet that suits me fine. Chocolate seems less dark than for the original variety, which is a shame. Could only eat one because of the sweetness, but less is more with these and they are probably good for people who can't help eating an entire packet in one go. They might be nice with that coconut porter I homebrewed, will try that later. Love the lairy packaging too. If the originals are a 10/10 these are an 8/10, would buy again.

Just to come full circle on that post, the Lidl Jaffa Cakes are amazing. Much better than the originals AND the orangey bit goes right to the fucking edge.

Blue Jam

Personally I think all own-brand jaffa cakes are better than the McVities ones. The actual cake bit under the orange has a slight crunch on the outside and it doesn't taste soft and a bit stale. The Lidl ones are rectangular too!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

We decided to celebrate Christmas 2 last weekend - basically just getting pissed and eating a roast dinner while wearing hats. I bought a jar of mincemeat from the Co-Op, but we never got around to using it, so I've been having mince pie flavoured porridge for breakfast ever since. It's very nice.

The Crumb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 29, 2020, 03:25:16 PM
Y'll had Smog Balls® yet?

Available at Sainsburys and a few others that stock US Candy™

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smog-Balls-Toxic-Waste-Sweets/dp/B00DPMBAZE

Anyone who loves sour stuff will be in weird mangled heaven as a few of these flavours  are saliva mutatingly powerful. A nice combo of crunchy outer shell which breaks down into a chewy centre. If you time the crunch right after giving the noxious cunty little spheres a suckle the explosion of flavour become more intense.

Proper junk food, these. Not like, I dunno Health and Safety Balls from THE PC BRIGADE

Can confirm these are proper great sour sweets, eating too many in a session really shredded my tongue.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 29, 2020, 05:07:28 PM
We decided to celebrate Christmas 2 last weekend - basically just getting pissed and eating a roast dinner while wearing hats. I bought a jar of mincemeat from the Co-Op, but we never got around to using it, so I've been having mince pie flavoured porridge for breakfast ever since. It's very nice.

Awww that's lovely. Mr Jam and I will be celebrating our eight year anniversary on Tuesday so I'll be cooking a romantic meal for us. No junk food or takeaways, I'll be slow-cooking some duck breasticles and trying not to do too much of this:

https://youtu.be/QMQwmt0oyto

thenoise

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on April 29, 2020, 02:58:03 PM
Lovely melted cheese on toast makes up a lot of my food consumption lately, comfort food more than junk I suppose

Me too. Why does a cheese sandwich feel like a snack but stick it under the grill and it feels like a proper meal?

If I'm feeling posh I enjoy mine with some tinned ratatouille. I make my own easily enough, proper food fans, but that proper slimy tinned stuff goes perfectly with cheese on toast.

Blue Jam

UPDATE: Pineapple Jaffa Cakes and coconut porter totally WORK. Feels a bit wrong, but in a good way.

On a pineapple tip: cheese, ham and pineapple "Hawaiian" toasties are the food of the gods.

falafel

Broken biscuits

1.3kg per box

Deadly

I didn't even know they existed till we signed up for the milkman to avoid going to the shops

Apart from that Pulp song which implies Jarvis was singing about me

Dewt

Wish I had an onion, but this snack is getting me through life

Emma Raducanu

Trying to do fortnightly shopping means by day 13 all the good stuff is long gone and I'm craving the fuck for something shit. Variety packs of biscuits are doing it at the minute. I'll have 10 in the afternoon with a pint of tea.

seepage

Pork scratchings time:

Not had Mr. Porky as a control for a while but here are some others:

- The Real Pork Cracking Co.: OK, bit hard, 4/10
- The Snaffling Pig Co.: Says "perfectly salted" on the bag but I beg to differ. They have a nasty 'lo salt' potassium taste. 1/10
- Midland Snacks: these are the fellas, excellent, 10/10