Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 13, 2020, 12:48:42 PM
ah yeah they are soooo nice! if your into chocolate keep away from the new dark choc coated fruits by Moser Roth, I got through a whole packet watching Magnum Force last night

I know the ones, will have to have a try! Thanks for the tip. Also, great film choice.

Cold Meat Platter

I tried to eat 44 Magnums once but I was sick.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They'll blow your head clean off.

I got a bit stoned at the weekend and had the munchies so bad that I ended up standing in the kitchen, spoon in hand, eating half a jar of Green & Blacks hot chocolate powder.

Head Gardener

exhibit A - for tonights movie The Enforcer (with a chaser of Brassic S02 EP5)

exhibit B - empty packet, sorry your honour.

alan nagsworth

We've been baking a lot here, that's pretty much the only junk food we've been eating. Baking cakes is fucking piss easy, it turns out. Mostly we make stuff in the loaf tin, variations on the sponge cake which have been lemon drizzle, coconut drizzle and banana ... drizzle. The other week I baked vegan brownies with raspberry jam and peanut butter, they got demolished pretty sharpish.

Ferris

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 12, 2020, 12:31:38 PM

I've been trying really hard to eat well, fruit/yoghurt, veggie options etc, but the spuds I just found in the cupboard seem to have mutated, this is what happens when left to cope on my own...

I've wonder if you could plant those.

Infinite potato hack discovered.

Dewt

Made a really nice Joe Wicks salad yesterday for lunch. Probably the healthiest thing I've eaten in weeks. Chicken, feta, beetroot, rocket, spring onions, red chilli and a dressing of orange juice, dijon mustard and cider vinegar.

Fucking lovely it was. Cheers PE Jesus.

Sadly, the missus went straight back to cheese toasties again today, but baby steps.

Blue Jam

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2020, 05:23:59 PM
ホンダはとても興味がある
I'm only up to family 2. Although I do know what that means thanks to FF7!

I'm finding a lot more value in books and tofugu.com than Duolingo, which is only good for practice and not teaching for me at this point. Their coverage of grammar is abysmal. One really helpful feature is the "discuss" option on every question though. There's always good discussion there.

I'm having a lovely time just learning the kanji now, shutting everything off and just writing them out with a fountain pen. I don't really care about having a goal in mind for my progress, I am for once enjoying the journey of something.

Blue Jam

Sorry, that was just a daft Peep Show reference Re: Honda.

Will check out tofugu.com, cheers! I've also been using a book called Chineasy as an introduction to kanji and while it's not a comprehensive text it is very interesting and sweet. Might try the app:

https://www.chineasy.com

Dewt

Doesn't that miss out on the Japanese-specific aspects of learning the kanji? Different meanings, on'yomi versus kun'yomi readings, etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 12, 2020, 12:31:38 PM

I've been trying really hard to eat well, fruit/yoghurt, veggie options etc, but the spuds I just found in the cupboard seem to have mutated, this is what happens when left to cope on my own...

I'd still eat them.

Blue Jam

Yes, I am a n00b when it comes to kanji, I just found the book in Shelter and thought it was rather cute.

As for the grammar, I've got the Michel Thomas course somewhere but I didn't really get on with that one. The teacher suggests mental images to remember certain words but I've never been a fan of doing that, and one of the two students is really slow and holds things up a bit. The German one with Mr Thomas himself is better.

H-O-W-L

Lots of beans. Not because I think they're PROPER SURVIVAL FOOD PHWOAR but because I love me some beans.

Dewt

I was going to say that your method of learning the kanji is very hardcore as opposed to noobish. You will end up with a very interesting view of the similarities between the two languages.

Blue Jam

I just find it cute and a but fascinating really. tbh I could do with an easier and more n00bish way!

Sorry to derail the thread here! Back on topic, I should go to my local southeast Asian grocer and buy all the matcha-flavoured biscuits they have. Not an essential in These Unprecedented Times but they'd probably be glad of the custom and I should support more smol businesses here. I'll eat anything matcha-flavoured, me.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 13, 2020, 05:11:17 PM
Made a really nice Joe Wicks salad yesterday for lunch. Probably the healthiest thing I've eaten in weeks. Chicken, feta, beetroot, rocket, spring onions, red chilli and a dressing of orange juice, dijon mustard and cider vinegar.

Fucking lovely it was. Cheers PE Jesus.

Sadly, the missus went straight back to cheese toasties again today, but baby steps.

Don't think you can credit Essex Mr motivator with a dish that I'd plate up at my restaurant a decade ago.

Though he did create something called "pesto" the other week.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: buttgammon on May 13, 2020, 11:41:51 AM
That's happened a few times lately. Am I best transferring them from the plastic packaging to a paper bag when I get home from the supermarket?

Aye, and keep them in the dark and away from humidity or general ambient heat, that's when they start sprouting.

Cold Meat Platter

Have realised that a lot of my junk food at the moment is peanut-based. Lidl honey roast or chili peanuts and peanut butter chunky kit-kats.

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2020, 06:10:59 PM
Sorry to derail the thread here! Back on topic, I should go to my local southeast Asian grocer and buy all the matcha-flavoured biscuits they have. Not an essential in These Unprecedented Times but they'd probably be glad of the custom and I should support more smol businesses here. I'll eat anything matcha-flavoured, me.
I had matcha Pocky and they tasted like cigarettes

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 13, 2020, 06:16:11 PM
Have realised that a lot of my junk food at the moment is peanut-based. Lidl honey roast or chili peanuts and peanut butter chunky kit-kats.

I fucking love their wasabi nuts.

I miss lidl. I used to get my staples from there then go to the morrisons over the road for better chilli's, things lidl didn't have in stock and herbs, rajah spices and ktc legumes from their foreign muck aisles but I've just been going to morrisons due to covid.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2020, 06:55:14 PM
I fucking love their wasabi nuts.

I miss lidl. I used to get my staples from there then go to the morrisons over the road for better chilli's, things lidl didn't have in stock and herbs, rajah spices and ktc legumes from their foreign muck aisles but I've just been going to morrisons due to covid.

Yeah Lidl's chilis are rubbish, sadly. And they've stopped stocking chick peas. Missing being able to go to Edinburgh to get exotic herbs and spices in asian grocers (not to mention other exotic herbs nudge wink). Not tried the wasabi nuts actually but may give them a go.

Sebastian Cobb

Lidl round my way have always been bad at chickpeas. Always got shitloads of butter beans in though.

I just get dried chickpeas in now.

Blue Jam

My local Lidl has fresh padron peppers but I have no way to deep fry them and make proper tapas out of them.

Got some wasabi paste when I saw it reduced a while back, then realised I don't know how to cook anything with it. Any ideas?

chveik

Blue Jam

Cheers, but I'm not much of a sushi fan and I'd probably just poison a few people if I ever tried to make it.

Had some lovely roast beef on Sunday thanks to Mr Jam (fnaaaaar). Should have put some wasabi on that instead of mustard.

Fr.Bigley

The Wasabi you eat out at restaurants and in most cases, buy, is actually dyed horseradish.

Blue Jam

Just checked and the stuff I bought actually is comprised of some bona fide wasabi, but only 0.2%, while 24% is horseradish and some of the remainder is E numbers, presumably green ones. Grrrrr.

Whatevs, it was only about 20p and I like horseradish too. Don't like "horseradish sauce" though as it usually contains m*y*nn*s*. By my reckoning I still done good.

Where can I get the good stuff then? This stuff I bought is actually Japanese but perhaps it's the crap they export to gaijin who are more used to the saltfest that is Wagamama.

Sebastian Cobb

Really tempted to do something ambitious like a chinese style rack of ribs but the arsing about with supermarkets just also makes me want to keep it easy. There's a few Asian supermarkets round here that I know would do better ribs than the supermarket too but I dunno if I can be fucked with it all.