Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:49:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 14, 2020, 02:09:45 PM
Is it the Italian Americans who just bung ricotta (and maybe some egg I think) on top? I made a lasagna yesterday and bought some ricotta to try that method, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Bechamel's not that much of a faff is it? Takes about 10 minutes. And if you've already got some ragu squirreled away from making shiteloads before, then you are fucking laughing.
Takes me ages, but mainly because last time I made it it was a huge potsworth of the stuff on a shitty hob.

Yeah, American lasagna is ridiculous. Ricotta tastes of nothing. Nice yummy layer of water in your lasagna

I had a Chicken Shish Kebab delivery last night. I was in turmoil before ordering. It was the salad and pitta, you see - uncooked! I googled the shit out of safe takeawaying none of it mentioned raw kebab salad, I asked the telephone ordering guy about whether the kebabs were safe he got the wrong end of the stick and got angry as if I were insulting the hygiene of his shop I stressed I meant the COVIDS and the raw salad he said they'd had NO ONE getting that from his kebabs. I went for it anyway, washed my hands in stages as I unpacked scoffed the lot with large chips. I'm now on day 1 of 14 incubation

Would any of you lot eat a takeaway kebab with raw salad and chilli sauce during these unprecedented times?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 14, 2020, 06:01:38 PM
I had a Chicken Shish Kebab delivery last night. I was in turmoil before ordering. It was the salad and pitta, you see - uncooked! I googled the shit out of safe takeawaying none of it mentioned raw kebab salad, I asked the telephone ordering guy about whether the kebabs were safe he got the wrong end of the stick and got angry as if I were insulting the hygiene of his shop I stressed I meant the COVIDS and the raw salad he said they'd had NO ONE getting that from his kebabs. I went for it anyway, washed my hands in stages as I unpacked scoffed the lot with large chips. I'm now on day 1 of 14 incubation

Would any of you lot eat a takeaway kebab with raw salad and chilli sauce during these unprecedented times?

Mate, behave yourself. It's a well known fact that kebab shop salad has powerful antibacterial qualities. The raw onions snap the faces of any bacterial cunts that try and start any shit.

Get that kebab scranned and stop your hand wringing/washing.

Dewt

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 14, 2020, 06:01:38 PM
No

Lots of people are posting online about their sushi takeouts during this time and I just wonder what the fuck is wrong with them. That is (mostly) non-heated food prepared almost entirely in somebody's fucking hands, and consisting mainly of rice, one of the most surface-area-ish, disease-vectory foods I can think of (it's the rice that's more likely to get you sick than anything else in sushi).

"It's spread from person-to-person, there are no records of it spreading via food" isn't enough for me when there's just no logical explanation why sushi would be safe. That just makes me think "nobody has shown it spreads that way". I don't understand the mechanism through which the virus dies out on rice.

Sebastian Cobb

I know everyone says rice is really risky but I've made rice-based meals and they've been too hot to do anything with and I've left them in a pot at room temperature overnight, sometimes to the next evening and reheated them and they've not harmed me.

As for a kebab, I wouldn't really order takeaway food at the moment, mostly because of it being handled by delivery people and they're a good vector, the raw salad wouldn't really affect my decision if I did get over that.

Dewt

Because you reheated it. Room temperature rice that you just then go and eat without making hot again first is quite bad, lots of bacteria.

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 14, 2020, 06:31:29 PM
Mate, behave yourself. It's a well known fact that kebab shop salad has powerful antibacterial qualities. The raw onions snap the faces of any bacterial cunts that try and start any shit.

Get that kebab scranned and stop your hand wringing/washing.
Is there a like button on this forum as in Twitter 👍

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 14, 2020, 06:58:26 PM
Because you reheated it. Room temperature rice that you just then go and eat without making hot again first is quite bad, lots of bacteria.

I was told, possibly by Zetetic, the main risk factor in rice is how quickly you cool, it and reheating it hard makes little difference.

Quote from: Dewt on May 14, 2020, 06:53:56 PM
No

Lots of people are posting online about their sushi takeouts during this time and I just wonder what the fuck is wrong with them. That is (mostly) non-heated food prepared almost entirely in somebody's fucking hands, and consisting mainly of rice, one of the most surface-area-ish, disease-vectory foods I can think of (it's the rice that's more likely to get you sick than anything else in sushi).

"It's spread from person-to-person, there are no records of it spreading via food" isn't enough for me when there's just no logical explanation why sushi would be safe. That just makes me think "nobody has shown it spreads that way". I don't understand the mechanism through which the virus dies out on rice.

I'll let you know in 13 days and counting 🤢

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2020, 07:06:07 PM
I was told, possibly by Zetetic, the main risk factor in rice is how quickly you cool, it and reheating it hard makes little difference.
Cooling rice quickly is important for when you're going to actually put it in the fridge, to limit the amount of time it spends in the DANGER ZONE. If you leave it standing at room temperature you're turning it into a bacteria swamp no matter how quickly it cooled.

Reheating it helps but not having it at room temperature for long at all is the most important thing.

Sebastian Cobb

So as I said I've been breaking the important rule.

Dewt

I say all of this but I mostly don't give a fuck about what I do with rice. I've eaten rice that's been sitting out at room temperature for an hour or so in the past. These days I usually just have rice available in the rice cooker in its "keep warm" setting which is safe enough.

That horrible yellow packet rice you have out as a side at buffets must be a fucking disease nightmare.

Sebastian Cobb

Once when our shitty fridge freezer froze up and blocked its own airflow to the fridge I made a chicken pilau and put it in the fridge just for insulation. It wasn't summer but I eat it several days on the trot and it didn't make me ill.

That place was a fucking hovel though, so maybe my body is just really resilient and/or inhospitable to bacteria.

I realise the rules are different in parts of the US, where you read things like NEVER defrost chicken at room temp etc.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2020, 07:20:30 PM
Once when our shitty fridge freezer froze up and blocked its own airflow to the fridge I made a chicken pilau and put it in the fridge just for insulation. It wasn't summer but I eat it several days on the trot and it didn't make me ill.
Just to hammer this home, putting it in the fridge if it hasn't spent much time at a dangerous temperature is almost certainly fine.

Sebastian Cobb

The fridge didn't refrigerate, do keep up.

Dewt

Oh I see. I read it as your freezer breaking so you using the fridge to keep your rice in instead of freezing it like usual.

Riveting content right here.

Cold Meat Platter

I just bought a packet of Cheddars and a third of them are already gone. Can't see them surviving the evening.
4 pack of Twirls just sitting there as well, goading me.

seepage

Just risked the 'vid to share a takeaway partner wanted. No taste or seasoning and now I've a tummy-ache and a pain in me shoulder. At least it was on partner's credit card, haha.

Quote from: seepage on May 15, 2020, 09:07:12 PM
Just risked the 'vid to share a takeaway partner wanted. No taste or seasoning and now I've a tummy-ache and a pain in me shoulder. At least it was on partner's credit card, haha.

What takeaway

seepage

Indian. Very prompt delivery and I think chef won Curry Awards or something but the food was shocking. Back to Red Leicester & salad cream sandwiches tomorrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just picked these up at a nearby Best-One

Not the lingering sourness of Smog Balls sadly, but the initial hit is reeeeeally sour and the sherberty chew afterwards is pretty good.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

phes

the largest, cheapest bag of onion ring crisps that I could find. One example of a snack where any attempt by manufacturer to improve the quality results in a decrease in quality

Quote from: seepage on May 15, 2020, 09:20:33 PM
Indian. Very prompt delivery and I think chef won Curry Awards or something but the food was shocking. Back to Red Leicester & salad cream sandwiches tomorrow.

Indian meals are generally cooked heat kills the covids. You didn't have a tika started did you or any popadoms and pickles did you?😯

idunnosomename

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 12, 2020, 12:31:38 PM

I've been trying really hard to eat well, fruit/yoghurt, veggie options etc, but the spuds I just found in the cupboard seem to have mutated, this is what happens when left to cope on my own...

flotemysost

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 14, 2020, 02:09:45 PM
Is it the Italian Americans who just bung ricotta (and maybe some egg I think) on top? I made a lasagna yesterday and bought some ricotta to try that method, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Bechamel's not that much of a faff is it? Takes about 10 minutes. And if you've already got some ragu squirreled away from making shiteloads before, then you are fucking laughing.

Now that everywhere seems to be selling the stockpile staples again, you can even just buy a jar of bechamel/white sauce if you're as lazy as I am. Every day's-a my Dolmio day.

I've been making lasagne but with tuna instead of minced beef. Tuna, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, black olives, bit of spinach if I'm feeling fancy. Probably heresy to many, but I've given it to some actual Italians in the past and they said it was decent.

Ferris

Monster curry last night, 1.5 naans EACH.

Load of pakoras in the fridge for today as well.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 16, 2020, 01:59:31 PM
Monster curry last night, 1.5 naans EACH.

Load of pakoras in the fridge for today as well.

1.5 naans EACH has to be some form of score in a sub continent game you've just made up.