Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

still using up the microwaveable rice. I would have thought all brands would be similar - "microwave rice, yes cracked that one, let's move on to something else like a cure for Covid-19" - but Sainsbury's is absolutely atrocious. As hard as you try to squeeze the pouch, the grains stick together in clumps that don't microwave properly, and the Egg Fried Rice variety deserves a special mention for its alarming grey colour and powerful wet-dog smell. Bad reviews go back to 2015 but they don't seem to have tried to improve the formula.

new page microwave rice twat.     

Dex Sawash

My soy curls finally arrived today. Broke the rules and soaked in water due to sloth. Pan sauteed with avocado oil and finished with load of Old Bay seasoning. "These shrimp don't taste very shrimpy" 7/10
Half a bag is a lot of food.

Dewt

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 28, 2020, 02:36:30 AM
My soy curls finally arrived today. Broke the rules and soaked in water due to sloth. Pan sauteed with avocado oil and finished with load of Old Bay seasoning. "These shrimp don't taste very shrimpy" 7/10
Half a bag is a lot of food.
Needs the broth and some kind of starch on the outside, trust me

Dewt

Quote from: seepage on May 24, 2020, 12:24:27 PM
still using up the microwaveable rice. I would have thought all brands would be similar - "microwave rice, yes cracked that one, let's move on to something else like a cure for Covid-19" - but Sainsbury's is absolutely atrocious. As hard as you try to squeeze the pouch, the grains stick together in clumps that don't microwave properly, and the Egg Fried Rice variety deserves a special mention for its alarming grey colour and powerful wet-dog smell. Bad reviews go back to 2015 but they don't seem to have tried to improve the formula.

new page microwave rice twat.   
I am once again asking people to buy a rice cooker and regular rice

Blue Jam

I bet some of you dirty bastards have tried these- come on, own up:

Was in Saino's just now and the mere sight of these made me heave.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 18, 2020, 03:29:38 AM
Ninja Air Fryer. It's a glorified convection oven, yeah. They design it so it's more similar to a deep dryer but the basic mechanism is the same.

Have you seen that thing they do that's a combined pressure cooker and air fryer?

Ferris

Are air fryers legit then? I thought they were George foreman-tier novelty items

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 30, 2020, 02:58:45 PM
Are air fryers legit then? I thought they were George foreman-tier novelty items

So did I tbh, but can see the merit of adding them to a pressure cooker as you can brown stuff quickly after cooking it through, of course there's nothing stopping you using a grill or oven.

Captain Crunch

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 30, 2020, 03:30:08 PM

They're good. Have you tried their corn nuts?

You can bake your own seasoned chickpeas as well.

Fr.Bigley

These week I arv been mostly eating...bourbon biscuits.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 30, 2020, 03:32:05 PMHave you tried their corn nuts?

Not yet.  I got four bags of stuff from Morrisons, special offer thanks to Prophet Mo and his Eid snackfest. 

seepage

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 30, 2020, 04:19:14 PM
These week I arv been mostly eating...bourbon biscuits.

me too!

and Time Out wafers: unless you down them in one, shards of biscuit & chocolate go all over the bloody place. 

dissolute ocelot

Ate an entire packet of Double Stuff Oreos yesterday, which is the most disgusting thing I have ever done. Asda was sold out of the regulars but they were all 50p a tube. The Double Stuff filling is like ingesting glucosey spunk. Who'd've thought the biscuit is the nice bit?

Blue Jam

I have a terrible sweet tooth but I can't stand Oreos. They taste like a layer of sugar sandwiched between two layers of soil. Also the biscuit is black- not brown like cocoa powder, but black like... soil. They're just not right.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 02, 2020, 11:53:32 AM
I have a terrible sweet tooth but I can't stand Oreos. They taste like a layer of sugar sandwiched between two layers of soil. Also the biscuit is black- not brown like cocoa powder, but black like... soil. They're just not right.
American chocolate is like eating dirt. The biscuit bit lives up to that proud American tradition.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 02, 2020, 09:40:06 AM
Ate an entire packet of Double Stuff Oreos yesterday, which is the most disgusting thing I have ever done. Asda was sold out of the regulars but they were all 50p a tube. The Double Stuff filling is like ingesting glucosey spunk. Who'd've thought the biscuit is the nice bit?

Yep, the proportion of biscuit to cream in a normal Oreo is expertly measured by biscuit scientists to perfectly offset the sickly cream with the salty biscuit. The Double Stuff is what would have happened had a small child been allowed to set the proportions.

Can't say I like any of the Oreo variations much, except perhaps the Birthday Party ones.

Dex Sawash

2x stuff are the only b+w ones I can even eat. The normal ones taste too much of black.

Love these but way too sweet

Cold Meat Platter

The Lidl fake Oreos (Neo) are better than real Oreos.

Blue Jam

Oreo fact: It wasn't until I watched the last season of Mad Men recently that I learned "Nabisco" is short for "National Biscuit Company".

Kit Ream, heir to the Nabisco fortune and Ray Purchase lookalike, was an interesting chap:

http://historysdumpster.blogspot.com/2014/01/dont-be-so-holy-poly-over-my-souly-kit.html

The album goes for silly money on eBay, obviously.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 02, 2020, 12:39:39 PM
The Lidl fake Oreos (Neo) are better than real Oreos.

LIDL own brand snacks are, more often than not, first class.  Highlights for me are the Twix, the crispy BBQ peanuts and their standard bacon crisps.  If like me you like your crisps just a little bit greasy and with loads and loads flavour dust then get in. 

buttgammon

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 02, 2020, 01:24:00 PM

LIDL own brand snacks are, more often than not, first class.  Highlights for me are the Twix, the crispy BBQ peanuts and their standard bacon crisps.  If like me you like your crisps just a little bit greasy and with loads and loads flavour dust then get in. 

Yes, these are awesome. They've recently introduced paprika ones which are also really nice and there's decent chilli ones too.

Blue Jam

Lidl's Kinder Bueno knock-off is really nice and it comes in a coconut variety.

checkoutgirl

Hot dogs. Pan fried. Brioche delivery systems. Sweet mustard and sweet sweet catsup to taste.

Discovered these tasty bastards. Luckily there's only nine to a pack because now there is none in the pack.

seepage

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 02, 2020, 04:06:59 PM
Hot dogs. Pan fried. Brioche delivery systems. Sweet mustard and sweet sweet catsup to taste.

try them in croissants too!

seepage

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 02, 2020, 04:16:58 PM

Discovered these tasty bastards. Luckily there's only nine to a pack because now there is none in the pack.

right, they're going on the list.

Had a curry spring roll for the first time in about 20 years - bloody amazing. Nice to know I've got such a refined palate.

checkoutgirl

Cheetos Flamin' Hot. As many bags as you have please. Cheers.

Chollis

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 02, 2020, 04:16:58 PM

Hard fuckin core. Based biscuits. Respect.