Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 11, 2020, 07:05:32 PM
Update - spicy chicken. Minimal chicken notes, and the spice was far too much. Not inedible, but not far off.

It goes into the bottom tier for me Clive. Bit of rejigging at the top of the charts as well.

Vegetable > beef > spicy beef > chicken > spicy chicken

There's a prawn one that I'm going to just assume is awful and save myself the drama. I think mushroom is the last one, unless there's a spicy veg.

NoodleWatch 2020 update.

"Mushroom" a few days ago. Nice, but simultaneously deeply unpleasant. A journeyman noodle, won't be troubling the top three.
"Chicken curry" last week. Tasted very strongly of cinnamon. Got through it, but it was a let down:
"Oriental" right now and this is the good shit. All the salty goodness of "vegetable", but with some spice. It's good. Think it's the best actually.

Oriental > vegetable > beef > mushroom > chicken > chicken curry > spicy beef > spicy chicken

I think that concludes the odyssey. Best one was the last one which feels a bit on the nose but there you go.

Dex Sawash

These are not good, oily salted crunchy soil.

Captain Crunch

They look delicious.  At one of my old jobs a colleague brought back a bag of these from his holiday:

Absolutely fucking lethal. 

Blue Jam

Which sophisticated nation did these come from? They get creamy forest mushroom Lays, we get doner kebab Pringles. Fuck it, I'm emigrating.

chveik

Head Gardener

McDonalds have re-opened in Northampton, woo! queue!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Jesus Christ, McDonalds.

Speaking of takeaways, a local pizza place in town had an offer last week - one large pizza for €7. It was cheat day[nb]as if every day isn't cheat day, Poirot, you disaster[/nb] so I said okay why not, value for money.

The large pizza was €7 because it had exactly the same volume of toppings as a medium size pizza. Very mediocre. I felt let down as normally their stuff is good, they'd be my pizza place of choice even over Dominos. They also don't offer onion rings any more which is a shame.

Bazooka

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 03, 2020, 12:26:07 PM
They look delicious.  At one of my old jobs a colleague brought back a bag of these from his holiday:

Absolutely fucking lethal.

In China you can get Cucumber flavour Lays, they are shit in comparison to our nation's god tier crisps, but very mourish.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on June 03, 2020, 12:43:47 PM
Poland apparently

Makes sense, I got some great dried mushrooms from a polski sklep.

Janie Jones

For reasons associated with the closure of pubs, I have been landed with absolutely fucktonnes of  short-date and just past best-before date pub snacks. I cannot eat or give away any more. I hate waste, what can I do? Food bank won't take them because of the dates. I've got dry roast peanuts in kilo bags, I guess they were for putting out in little bowls, I've got small and large bags of pork scratchings and I have every flavour of posh hand-cooked kettle crisps. All the flavours.

I put some nuts and pork rinds out for the birds but they just rotted, the birds won't come near because my garden is full of cats - I don't own a cat unlike everyone else in my street so my garden is a kind of disputed feline territory that all the yowly cunts inhabit and no bird ever alights.

What would Stewart Lee do? Crisps.

bgmnts

Throw them at passing tories.

Create your own pub at home.

Force feed them down you until you vomit.

Sebastian Cobb

I suspect crisps and nuts will keep for ages longer than their sell-by suggests without spoiling.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
I suspect crisps and nuts will keep for ages longer than their sell-by suggests without spoiling.

If they're in a massive bag and you open it though? You'd want to get right into them

imitationleather

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 04, 2020, 07:38:47 PM
For reasons associated with the closure of pubs, I have been landed with absolutely fucktonnes of  short-date and just past best-before date pub snacks. I cannot eat or give away any more. I hate waste, what can I do? Food bank won't take them because of the dates. I've got dry roast peanuts in kilo bags, I guess they were for putting out in little bowls, I've got small and large bags of pork scratchings and I have every flavour of posh hand-cooked kettle crisps. All the flavours.

I put some nuts and pork rinds out for the birds but they just rotted, the birds won't come near because my garden is full of cats - I don't own a cat unlike everyone else in my street so my garden is a kind of disputed feline territory that all the yowly cunts inhabit and no bird ever alights.

What would Stewart Lee do? Crisps.

Oh my God. I'd just eat them until either they ran out or I died.

chveik

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 04, 2020, 07:57:48 PM
If they're in a massive bag and you open it though? You'd want to get right into them

Oh yeah, I'm weak willed so really I'd smash through a really unhealthy amount quite quickly.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2020, 07:50:45 PM

I'm not sure. Although eating it won't harm you, I think the quality declines in high-fat food as the oils go rancid over time, even in sealed packaging. I've eaten out-of-date nuts before [something something Marc Almond's dirty old bollocks] and they taste wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wang the crisps up my Gaff pronto YOU WORM

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 05, 2020, 07:54:33 AM
I'm not sure. Although eating it won't harm you, I think the quality declines in high-fat food as the oils go rancid over time, even in sealed packaging. I've eaten out-of-date nuts before [something something Marc Almond's dirty old bollocks] and they taste wrong.

I suppose it depends on how long. I've had quite out of date space raiders and they were a little soggy, but I reckon maize-based stuff would be more susceptible to that as they're all puff and air.

Dex Sawash

I'm convinced some people are insensitve to rancid fats taste (probably same people who are insensitive to taste of improperly seasoned iron pan cookery).

Sebastian Cobb

Found the answer to Janie's problem!

Blue Jam

Got some Mini Twisters from Saino's:

The reversed ones are the best, because they have the lime in the middle so there's more of it and that's the best bit. There should be a third variant with the pineapple in the middle and the lime and raspberry twisting round it, a nice soft core.

Also at 38 calories apiece they're practically a health food. They probably count as three of your five a day.

Bazooka

For all the awful things humanity has done, you then get things like Twisters to keep you living on.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bazooka on June 06, 2020, 06:16:00 PM
For all the awful things humanity has done, you then get things like Twisters to keep you living on.

I remember when they were called Tangle Twisters. It's comforting to think that 30 years on nothing but the name has changed.

Some very satisfying footage from the Twister factory

bgmnts

I've been on the Twister rollercoaster at West Midlands Safari Park.

Bazooka

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 06, 2020, 08:45:19 PM
I remember when they were called Tangle Twisters. It's comforting to think that 30 years on nothing but the name has changed.

Some very satisfying footage from the Twister factory

No jokes on the sticks anymore,political correctness gone mad.

Blue Jam

Cuntbeaks

The new Sizzling Steak Wotsits are nothing short of maize based crack. To make matters worse the pack i had was a large fat bastard bag and not a multipack. This removes the greed safety net and allows for shameful levels of scranning.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 06, 2020, 12:36:55 PM
Found the answer to Janie's problem!

Are those... cakes? I've scoured the internet for this since you posted it as I vaguely remember a really lush student one-pot veggie meal topped with crisps that might be like the one shown here and would be a laugh to recreate.

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 04, 2020, 07:38:47 PM

I put some nuts and pork rinds out for the birds but they just rotted, the birds won't come near

Every last crumb of the pork scratchings and nuts that were in little piles around the garden in various stages of decomposition has vanished overnight. Something has finally scoffed them, possibly rats, who knows. We had a bit of rain yesterday that maybe softened them and washed the salt off, making them more palatable to whatever life-form snarfed them at last.

Meantime in my quest to avoid wasting this pub-snack bounty, I'm getting used to dry-roast peanuts with everything, including porridge, salads and stir-fries.

Sebastian Cobb

I think so although it's quite hard to tell with the soft focus and mostly shades of brown photography. I thought the thing at the back might be some sort of curry?