Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Working my way through the Mr Noodles range. Done beef, chicken, had "vegetable" for lunch.

The man makes a fine noodle.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dewt on April 29, 2020, 07:21:13 PM
Wish I had an onion, but this snack is getting me through life

Fucking hell I can taste the MSG through the screen.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 29, 2020, 03:55:22 PM
Just to come full circle on that post, the Lidl Jaffa Cakes are amazing. Much better than the originals AND the orangey bit goes right to the fucking edge.

What the fuck

seepage

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 29, 2020, 06:58:21 PM
cheese, ham and pineapple "Hawaiian" toasties are the food of the gods.

NOOOOO!

thenoise

UPDATE: Pineapple Jaffa Cakes and coconut porter totally WORK. Feels a bit wrong, but in a good way.

On a pineapple tip: cheese, ham and pineapple "Hawaiian" toasties are the food of the gods.

I used to be partial to a 'student pizza' - half muffin with tomato puree then grated cheese, done under the grill. Little pinch of herbs on top if you are feeling fancy.

Now that I think about it, perfect lockdown sustenence. I wonder if sainsburys has any muffins left?

Dewt

Quote from: bgmnts on April 29, 2020, 08:26:01 PM
Only a little bit. Dark soy sauce man, that's the flavour trick

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 29, 2020, 03:14:47 PM
I have never actually eaten SPAM®. I have feared and distrusted mystery meat ever since I was about 10 and saw a news report on mechanically recovered meat and it gave me the fear. Vegetarian junk food only for me please.

Spam is genuinely very good. It's made out of actual normal meat, not strange trimmings or whatever you get in the lower end of things (nitrate beef sticks, etc.) and the texture is not even particularly unusual. Much better cooked though, when it starts to crisp up a bit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on April 29, 2020, 09:06:00 PM
I used to be partial to a 'student pizza' - half muffin with tomato puree then grated cheese, done under the grill. Little pinch of herbs on top if you are feeling fancy.

Now that I think about it, perfect lockdown sustenence. I wonder if sainsburys has any muffins left?

Saino's Taste The Difference cheese and black pepper muffins are amazing. Only to be found in big stores though. I can eat them straight from the packet, untoasted and nekkid.

flotemysost

I hadn't eaten any meat since this started (I never normally buy meat when I'm grocery shopping, only really eat it now and then when I'm out/on holiday) but last weekend I was really craving a disgusting burger[nb]As-yet unpatented potential name for another pretentious 'street food' chain[/nb] so I made some from scratch - turns out it's surprisingly easy to make the kind of satisfyingly sweaty beef patties in a crumpled bun that the likes of Five Guys charge at least a tenner for. Sweet potato wedges on the side, plastic cheese, bit of Nando's Perinaise, it was great.

If I was still living in North London above a 24-hour Mediterranean supermarket, I reckon this whole time I'd have subsisted entirely on tinned dolma (the vine leaves stuffed with rice/various other surprise items).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on April 29, 2020, 09:06:00 PM

naan bread, tandoori paste mozarella, red onion if you've got it.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 29, 2020, 11:27:53 PM
naan bread, tandoori paste mozarella, red onion if you've got it.

fuckin richie rich over here

canadagoose

UPDATE: Pineapple Jaffa Cakes and coconut porter totally WORK. Feels a bit wrong, but in a good way.

On a pineapple tip: cheese, ham and pineapple "Hawaiian" toasties are the food of the gods.
A toastie with pineapple! Why have I not tried this before? I bet I'd love it.

I've been eating a lot of cheese, baked beans with HP sauce, and crisps. I've actually had fewer takeaways than usual, mainly for money reasons. Those German Doner Kebabs are very moreish, though. I swear they must stick something addictive in them. Spezialstoff, maybe.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 29, 2020, 08:26:01 PM

MSG is amazing. Try putting some in a cheese (and ham and pineapple) toastie and note how it tastes a million times more savoury.

I might pop out and get the ingredients for this now. I think my nearest Southeast Asian grocer's is still open.

El Unicornio, mang

Blue Jam

Just popped out for ingredients (minus the MSG) and got a Hawaiian toastie under the grill as I type. I'm not sure they count as junk food though as pineapple is one of your five a day innit.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 30, 2020, 01:25:35 PM
MSG is amazing. Try putting some in a cheese (and ham and pineapple) toastie and note how it tastes a million times more savoury.

Would it work with vegan cheese or specifically cheese?

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 30, 2020, 05:08:27 PM
Would it work with vegan cheese or specifically cheese?

I've never tried vegan cheese but I don't see why it wouldn't. MSG makes all savoury things taste more savoury. It's very good with onions too. Probably good with tofu as well, and with potatoes in any form.

A packet of cheese and onion crisps with MSG sprinkled over them would probably blow your head off. I must try it someday.

Blue Jam

Quote from: canadagoose on April 30, 2020, 01:34:49 AM
A toastie with pineapple! Why have I not tried this before? I bet I'd love it.

Funny you should mention German food as well, because it was in Berlin of all places that I discovered the Hawaiian toastie. Saw it on a menu at a cafe and thought "WHY THE FUCK HAVE I NOT TRIED THAT BEFORE?"

EDIT: Toastie ready now. Fuck me this was a good idea...

Jasha

With a number of local chippies not bothering to open I've had to venture further afield and discovered a Chinese that does banana fritters, only rather than golden yellow the batter is blood red. Still delicious even though scalding my fingers on sweet sticky oil, even licked out the foil try

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 30, 2020, 05:27:37 PM
Funny you should mention German food as well, because it was in Berlin of all places that I discovered the Hawaiian toastie. Saw it on a menu at a cafe and thought "WHY THE FUCK HAVE I NOT TRIED THAT BEFORE?"

EDIT: Toastie ready now. Fuck me this was a good idea...
Right, that's it, I'm going to have to get tinned pineapple somehow. Probably this afternoon.

Also this isn't really junk food, but these are really tasty:

I've got through two packets since Tuesday. Ridiculous.

Blue Jam

Quote from: canadagoose on May 01, 2020, 07:07:49 AM
Right, that's it, I'm going to have to get tinned pineapple somehow. Probably this afternoon.

DO IT.

Have you ever been to The High Dive- the Civerinos pizza place where The Montague pub used to be? I was a big fan of the pizza they did with ricotta, rosemary, pine nuts and grapes. They stopped doing it though, presumably because I was the only person who ever ordered it. Might have to recreate that one next time I make a batch of pizza dough.

checkoutgirl

Ate a full bag of Lidl Snacktastic cheese and chive cornsnacks while drunk the other day. Which is bad because they're 150gr a bag. That's like 3 bags of Real McCoy in one go.

Toffee Pops. Cream and jam biscuits. Pepperoni pizza with extra cheddar thrown on. Crisp sandwiches. And so on.

Trying to cut down from now though. Fruit smoothies, rooibos tea and food for dinner from now on.

I'll continue with my beer experiments though. Had 11 cans of Rockshore on Monday. Or was it Tuesday?

Ferris

Phwoarr

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 01, 2020, 11:46:34 AM

Had 11 cans of Rockshore on Monday. Or was it Tuesday?

Albert Camus considers rewrite.

chveik

flotemysost

Fuck me in the neck, that looks like something I could do some damage to/could do some damage to me (or to my blood pressure at least). Worth braving the absolute Feast of San Fermín that my local Tesco Metro is right now.

Sebastian Cobb

People who like olives are basically foodnonces.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 01, 2020, 10:56:42 PM

Al a Grecque style is where it's at, almost like anchovies. Savile strength olive noncery.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 01, 2020, 10:56:42 PM

Does that make brine the equivalent of working at the BBC in the '70s?

Blue Jam

Sorry, but Noccelara or GTFO. They're one thing Jamie Oliver is actually right about.