Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:15:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

Wasn't Richard Madeley's signature dish something like a tin of tuna mixed with mushroom soup with crisps on top? 

Chollis

one of my favourite comfort meals is a tuna pasta bake with cheese and onion crisps baked on top

buttgammon

A few weeks ago, I got really high and crumbled some M&S salt and vinegar crisps onto one of their ready made tagliatelles. It worked well.

Head Gardener

oh, I see next door's lunch has arrived

bgmnts

The past few weeks of quarantine and the reopening of mcdonalds has made me go full on Travis Bickle. We are fat, disgusting pigs here.

No wonder everyone else looks down on us. Just thank fuck for the USA.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on June 13, 2020, 12:09:06 PM
The past few weeks of quarantine and the reopening of mcdonalds has made me go full on Travis Bickle. We are fat, disgusting pigs here.

No wonder everyone else looks down on us. Just thank fuck for the USA.

It's actually many of the Polynesian nations that have been top for years for obesity rates per populace etc.

Blue Jam

Just had some McCain Home Chips. Just on their own with a bit of rock salt. Bloody lovely they were.

Think they were still called McCain Home Fries the last time I had them. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had chips at all before now. I used to like the chips at Nando's but haven't eaten them since I saw how much fat and how many calories they contain. That must be what makes them taste so nice.

Sheffield Wednesday

Best diet I've found is going on a vent for five weeks 😂😂😂

Blue Jam

Yeah, good one that. Oxygen has no calories.

Sheffield Wednesday

Remember Damon Albarn and the Icelandic oxygen bars?

Fuck was that about

Blue Jam

I've been to Damon Albarn's pub in Iceland. He had sold it to someone else by the time I went, though. No oxygen in there. Well, not for sale anyway, all the oxygen in there was free.

Sheffield Wednesday

When I was 14, flavoured Icelandic oxygen seemed like the heights of decadence. Shame to hear the dream has died.

SteveDave

In the last few weeks I've discovered that Hellman's Burger Sauce tastes like Big Mac sauce and Heinz's Burgers Sauce tastes like Whoppers. I'm living my best life since finding Burger Sauce. I don't know how or why it's taken me so long. I could've saved myself a fortune on burgers.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 15, 2020, 08:30:27 PM
When I was 14, flavoured Icelandic oxygen seemed like the heights of decadence. Shame to hear the dream has died.

I went to The Big Chill in 2006 and they had a flavoured oxygen bar there. The concept seemed a hit passé even then.

Now it's the future though innit? You can get a flavoured oxygen bar in your pocket in the form of a vape.

Blue Jam

Had a barbecue yesterday and had some burgers with Encona Jerk Barbecue Sauce. No other barbecue sauce will do now. Except perhaps Reggae Reggae Sauce, which is nicer than anything from Dragon's Den has any right to be.

Just bought another pack of mini Twisters because PHEW WHAT A SCORCHER

Blue Jam

Ordered a takeaway for delivery today. For the first time in my life. 38 years old I was... Lovely bit of Thai Panang curry with sea bass. Felt vaguely healthy with all the added veg.

bgmnts

Does a small bowl of cashews, walnuts, pecans and pinenuts count as junk snacks?

Blue Jam

Nope. That's four of your five a day.

Saw those doner kebab-flavoured Pringles reduced in Saino's today. Nobody wants them.

imitationleather

...You'd never had a takeaway delivered before?

The fucking weirdos on this forum!

I have had twice as many takeaways this weekend as you've had in your life.

Blue Jam

Yeah, I know.

I have ordered takeaways by phone and then picked them up on the way home but never had one delivered before. It made me wonder why I don't do it more often. I guess all this free time has made me want to actually buy ingredients and cook them but Thai curries are best left to the professionals.

bgmnts

It is strange how they're called takeaways or takeouts when you dont actually take them out but have them delivered to you.

Reckon it may be replaced by a proprietary eponym soon. Do you wanna get a/an ubereats/justeat/googlefood.

Blue Jam

Just went to Tesco and bought a pack of Fab ice lollies and a bottle of prosecco. I hope the cashier didn't think I was a Mumsnet TERF.

The Crumb

Some weird impulse led me to try a Fray Bentos pie for the first time in my life. Pure fucking grim, and I usually enjoy heavily processed, shite gravy based food.

Bently Sheds

Yesterday I had my first McDonald's (McChicken Sandwich) since lockdown. I'd like to report that it was eaten with welcoming tears streaming down my face, the weight of months of no McD's finally lifted, choirs of angels singing in the background as the taste sensation sent ripples of pleasure across my taste buds. But no. It was just another hastily slapped together pile of edible foodstuff that filled a hole.

I haven't missed McDonald's, apparently.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 04, 2020, 07:38:47 PM
For reasons associated with the closure of pubs, I have been landed with absolutely fucktonnes of  short-date and just past best-before date pub snacks. I cannot eat or give away any more. I hate waste, what can I do? Food bank won't take them because of the dates.

Chocolate now. About 200 individually wrapped 55g bars of 70% dark organic chocolate with sea salt.  Best before March 2020 (so food bank won't take it). Has a slight 'bloom' of white cocoa butter on the surface but tastes ok if you like that sort of thing. I don't; however I will grimly plough my way through every last crumb of the fucking stuff if I keep it in my house.

Sebastian Cobb

Could you potentially melt it down and put it in a cake or something?

Janie Jones

I'll have a go, bit worried about the salt, it might taste a bit odd in baking.

Quote from: Bently Sheds on July 17, 2020, 09:32:14 AM
Yesterday I had my first McDonald's (McChicken Sandwich) since lockdown. I'd like to report that it was eaten with welcoming tears streaming down my face, the weight of months of no McD's finally lifted, choirs of angels singing in the background as the taste sensation sent ripples of pleasure across my taste buds. But no. It was just another hastily slapped together pile of edible foodstuff that filled a hole.

I haven't missed McDonald's, apparently.

Had one of their breakfasts yesterday and it was fucking heavenly. Double bacon and egg McMuffin with a sausage disc added as part of a custom order.

They can keep their burgers (especially since every supermarket does a passable Big Mac sauce you can slather on a home cooked burger), but you can't beat a McDonald's breakfast muffin.

beanheadmcginty

I have always found the universal love for McDonald's breakfasts absolutely baffling. I'm no snob, I wish I could see what's so great about them, but I really can't.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 25, 2020, 12:10:08 PM
I have always found the universal love for McDonald's breakfasts absolutely baffling. I'm no snob, I wish I could see what's so great about them, but I really can't.

I quite like the muffins but they are really grubby.

I once got a milkshake when I was totally hungover, it was like a religious awakening.