Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 25, 2020, 12:10:08 PM
I have always found the universal love for McDonald's breakfasts absolutely baffling. I'm no snob, I wish I could see what's so great about them, but I really can't.

It is, but it's the utter desolation of the things that hit the spot in our corrupt souls.  I'll eat organs but I won't eat a fucking monstrous egg disc that they serve, just the miscellaneous meat disc and cheese for me.

Blue Jam

Those utterly magnificent Cherry Bakewell Chocolate Digestives may have disappeared from shelves but we now have Cadbury's Dairy Milk in "Coconutty" edition:

There's also a honeycomb toffee edition which sounds alright if a bit sickly, and a blueberry edition which can fuck right off because blueberries are weird fucking abominations. This coconut one however is subtle but crunchy and overall very pleasant.

O purveyors of fine junk food products, why must you tease us with these limited editions?

JamesTC

I never tried Cherry Bakewell Digestives. They sound incredible. They remind me of the oh so shortlived Cadbury Chocolate Brownie Digestives.

Had a White Chocolate Oreo bar this morning. Never thought they'd improve on the normal Oreo bar but they did.

Cuntbeaks

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on August 03, 2020, 10:34:10 AM
Castello Pineapple Halo.

Oh yes. On those salt and black pepper crackers that Sainsbury's and Lidl do. Salty pineappley goodness.

seepage

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on August 03, 2020, 10:34:10 AM
Castello Pineapple Halo.

"Soft cheese with pineapple, papaya and almonds" - wtf???

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: seepage on August 03, 2020, 10:44:51 AM
"Soft cheese with pineapple, papaya and almonds" - wtf???

Ssshhhhhhh, just try it.

Blue Jam

Aldi do a cream cheese roulade thing which has a swirl of pineapple flavour and is rolled in chopped almonds. Even nicer than the mighty Pineapple Halo if you ask me.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 03, 2020, 01:01:01 PM
Aldi do a cream cheese roulade thing which has a swirl of pineapple flavour and is rolled in chopped almonds. Even nicer than the mighty Pineapple Halo if you ask me.

I've observed those, but never actually purchased them, but will do the next time they come around.

That's some pretty strong claims you're making there. The idea that the Halo could be bettered is a concept i hadn't even entertained

Blue Jam

Cheese and pineapple is a very 70's combination isn't it? One I'm glad has survived though.

Have you ever tried the Halo in combination with ham? I'm one of those deviants who like Hawaiian pizza but I can't think of a way to make the Halo work with it. Perhaps it could be mixed with ham flavoured Primula?

The next time I get really bored I might slice a Halo into thin rings and serve them on a bagel. There's a life hack for you lads.

Cuntbeaks

The Halo, or cream cheese in general, isn't really built for pizzas, although it shouldn't stop you from boshing some on a slice of cooked pizza, seconds before inhalation.

One fateful weekend we birthed the unholiest of combination. Oatcakes, smothered in Halo, sandwiching a hot lamb samosa. Fitting together perfectly, the visual interplay of triangular oatcake and triangular samosa was nothing short of Michelin standard while the overall flavour and texture was sensational.

thenoise

I can confirm that Cadburys blueberry is absolutely delicious, if you are a blueberry fan (like me).

Quote from: JamesTC on August 03, 2020, 10:00:39 AM
I never tried Cherry Bakewell Digestives. They sound incredible. They remind me of the oh so shortlived Cadbury Chocolate Brownie Digestives.

I'm such a massive fan of cherry bakewells that I find anything trying to emulate it or copy the flavour always misses the mark, to the point where I get angry that I didn't just buy a genuine cherry bakewell.

It's the only food where I have such a blind spot. Roast chicken crisps? No worries, mate. Haribo strawberries? Yes please. Cherry bakewell flavour cheesecake? GET TO ABSOLUTE FUCK.

Hand Solo

I barely ever eat junk food, but I was staying over at a friends' the other week and was doing the shopping for them at their local Co-Op and saw some limited edition Katsu Curry crisps so made an impulse purchase, to be fair they were actually really Moorish/Arabic Spaniard. I make Katsu Curry at home so checked the ingredients and they seemed to be faithful to the recipe, would buy again if there was a Co-Op anywhere near where I lived.

Bazooka

The emperor of Japan's favourite post bong munchies.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Bazooka on August 04, 2020, 01:21:34 PM
The emperor of Japan's favourite post bong munchies.

Katsu Flavoured Hirohitos

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 04, 2020, 11:34:21 AM
I'm such a massive fan of cherry bakewells that I find anything trying to emulate it or copy the flavour always misses the mark, to the point where I get angry that I didn't just buy a genuine cherry bakewell.

It's the only food where I have such a blind spot. Roast chicken crisps? No worries, mate. Haribo strawberries? Yes please. Cherry bakewell flavour cheesecake? GET TO ABSOLUTE FUCK.

For me it's anything strawberry flavoured. Actual strawberries? Whether they're fresh, on a cake, or in jam, I don't mind, they're all good. Synthetic strawberry-flavoured anything? Bleurrgghh.

Those Cherry Bakewell Digestives do have a nice natural-smelling waft of cherry and almond drifting up from them, I was seriously impressed. I can't handle cherry flavoured beer though. It all tastes of cherry-menthol Tunes.

Sebastian Cobb

Did Chinese style ribs in my instant pot last night. Got through a 700g bag of ribs on my own and 2 hench plates of egg fried rice.

Sin Agog

Gonna have my first ever crack at making my own baklava as I'm too shieldy to go into the Greek fruit & veg shop that sells the vegan shit I like.  The recipe doesn't make it look too difficult, but i'll probably balls it up somehow.

Blue Jam

Just had a punnet of strawberries for lunch.

Plus some chocolate mini-rolls, and some prosecco.

Whatever, had three of my five-a-day I reckon.

Duckula

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 04, 2020, 12:39:31 PM
I barely ever eat junk food, but I was staying over at a friends' the other week and was doing the shopping for them at their local Co-Op and saw some limited edition Katsu Curry crisps so made an impulse purchase, to be fair they were actually really Moorish/Arabic Spaniard. I make Katsu Curry at home so checked the ingredients and they seemed to be faithful to the recipe, would buy again if there was a Co-Op anywhere near where I lived.

Christian Atsu twitches nervously.

Dex Sawash

Been seeing this sort of thing, finally pulled the trigger yesterday at Lidl

Not as good or bad as I imagined it could be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Visually hideous. Tiers of Sludge.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 10, 2020, 09:42:48 PM
Been seeing this sort of thing, finally pulled the trigger yesterday at Lidl

Not as good or bad as I imagined it could be.

I love the USA and this sort of terrible shit is part of the reason why.  You just cannot be trusted with anything.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 25, 2020, 12:52:26 PM
I quite like the muffins but they are really grubby.

I once got a milkshake when I was totally hungover, it was like a religious awakening.

McDonalds is fantastic hangover food. The high sugar and salt content causes my eyes to glaze over like no other food stuffs.

Chollis

just had my first Gregg's cheese and bean melt since lockdown. exquisite

spaghetamine

I need to stop ordering pizzas from places that are open after midnight, it only ever leads to disappointment, self-loathing and really spicy arse-gravey

Hand Solo

Fuck sake.

Went to the Co-op on my bike to stock up on Katsu Curry crisps and it looks like they were Limited Edition, they're not there anymore. There was only two Co-Ops doing them in a 10 mile radius, I might try the other again a few days and see if hey have any stock left.

I know Walkers do a YO!Katsu curry variety but I've not seen them anywhere, people must be snapping them up during Lockdown. Found these in ASDA:

They're alright but not nearly as good as the Co-Op ones.

Sebastian Cobb

I've had them I think. The flavour's ok but the riciness makes them simultaneously a bit bland. A bit like oatcakes it's a powerful flavour attenuator.

I made a biryani tonight that called for crispy fried onions (slice onion, put in box with some cornflour and shake, fry at medium high heat until all caramelised and crispy). I made way more than I needed to, and you can just shove it in a sterilised jar and it'll keep, but it's like crack. It's not even worth keeping now because I eat most of it in the 6 minutes it took to pressure cook my biryani.