Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Festive bake yesterday. Fuck all to be festive about of course, but it was worth it. sat in the park eating it looking wistfully at the fog shrouded dog walkers wondering "My life now?". Had to stop off at the supermarket on the way home for booze..lots of it. After the 6th one, I remembered how not only was everyone outside probably going through the same existential rumination, theirs was probably worse...because I had a Festive bake and they didn't.

Blue Jam

Oh
Quote from: imitationleather on November 07, 2020, 02:40:48 PM
Pretty sure I saw it in my local M&S yesterday.

Actually I only saw the words "Cornish Cruncher". Dunno if it had balsamic onion.

Oh yes, they still do regular Cornish Cruncher, but it's the balsamic onion one that is more like Cornish Crack.

*twitches*

Sebastian Cobb

The Tesco Metro near me has Doritos Stacks (Doritos in a pringles tube, basically) on special at the moment. So far I've tried Spicy Wings and Chilli Salsa, both are pretty good.

One of my mates told me there's a new chippy opened up near him that does battered pickled onions.

Cold Meat Platter

Tonight I shall be mostly eating a Scampi Fries/Bacon Fries 6 pack.

Captain Crunch

I like the way poundland sell them for, yes a pound but Home Bargains / B&M go 'fuck you' and sell them for 89p. 

Sebastian Cobb

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2020, 07:39:46 PMOne of my mates told me there's a new chippy opened up near him that does battered pickled onions.

I wonder if they'd batter me a pickled egg.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thenoise on November 07, 2020, 10:45:19 PM
I wonder if they'd batter me a pickled egg.

I said the exact same thing!

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 07, 2020, 02:36:09 PM
Went to M&S the other day with the intention of picking up some Cornish Cruncher with balsamic onion. None on the shelves, my nearest branch doesn't stock it anymore.

That looks nice, I like that gritty cheese texture.

Blue Jam

Saino's own-brand pretzels. Were they always this good or have they just started putting crack in them?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2020, 07:39:46 PM
One of my mates told me there's a new chippy opened up near him that does battered pickled onions.

If I was capable of getting an erection I would definitely have one now.

Blue Jam

Just had a takeaway curry from Pataka and it was ACE. Mangsho Roti ftw, Embra peeps.

Blue Jam

Had some of these earlier in the week:

Very disappointing. Should be better than regular Fingers but they're actually not as good.

[Jill from I'm Alan Partridge]"I prefer Fingers"[/Jill from I'm Alan Partridge]

sirhenry

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 27, 2020, 10:09:12 PM
Saino's own-brand pretzels. Were they always this good or have they just started putting crack in them?
So, do you reckon that coming off the medication has improved your sense of taste? Or just your appetite?

Blue Jam

Quote from: sirhenry on November 29, 2020, 07:20:13 AM
So, do you reckon that coming off the medication has improved your sense of taste? Or just your appetite?

Hahahaha, I don't know about my appetite, I seem to have been losing weight without really trying. Think the weight gain was definitely a side effect.

As for the pretzels, Mr Jam had some and asked where they were from because they didn't taste as bog-standard as usual. Maybe they've changed the recipe, but they suddenly tasted like the most savoury thing ever. Even more savoury than Bovril, gravy and pies.

(I have been eating healthily otherwise, Officer)

Captain Crunch

Finally got round to trying the sausage roll Walkers – not great. 

JamesTC

Walkers will never top the Baked Bean flavour they did for Comic Relief around 14 or 15 years ago.

Blue Jam

Just got some posh waxed mature cheddar "truckle" thing with caramelised onions and rioja, only £1.99 from Lidl. Not quite as crack-like as the M&S Balsamic Onion Cornish Cruncher but it's a decent wintry nibble.

Fuck's sake, when I started this thread I didn't think I'd be posting Christmas food in it. Thought this would be over by now. Getting into a crossover with trimmins here.

DISCLAIMER: I had a black cherry smoothie for breakfast and am now cooking a roast chicken with Trimmins including shallots and green beans. Gonna get my five-a-day, alright?

Dex Sawash

Vanilla ice cream with few spoons of hot pepper jam. Weird but ok.

canadagoose

I've mentioned it before but I've been eating this stuff again, and it's lovely:

I bought it from Sanza, but seeing as we're not allowed to advertise here, you should probably search for it. If you like pineapple sweets, you should like this. It's made in Australia but for the Kiwi market, apparently. It's also made of that slightly-harder Australian Dairy Milk (because of the heat, I presume), which I quite like.

Blue Jam

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 06, 2020, 12:00:52 AM
Vanilla ice cream with few spoons of hot pepper jam. Weird but ok.

What on earth.

sirhenry

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 10, 2021, 01:09:35 AM
What on earth.
Exactly. Why would you use chilli jam when you could use chipotle syrup?

Cold Meat Platter

Pipe of these form the bedrock of tonight's debauchery:

Extra hot is overselling it but they have a decent pep.

Forgot to mention these when I bought them a couple weeks back:

Do you think the makers of this snack voted for Brexit, by any chance?
Awful things anyway. Fucking rock hard, tooth endangering stuff.

seepage

^ I recommend Midland Snacks (MS) pork scratchings or failing those, Mr Porky.

the midnight watch baboon

I am waiting for a brittle-free pork scratching spread. Hard bits are 'tard bits.

seepage

Maybe try smashing up some 'pork crunch' [aerated muck] into a jar of chicken 'n' ham paste?

Bazooka

Some of you just aren't proper black country.

canadagoose

Quote from: Bazooka on January 13, 2021, 06:11:24 PM
Some of you just aren't proper black country.
I like pork scratchings, though. I also got the ones in the black packets, and some packets were good and some weren't - was a bit of a lucky dip. Can agree, Midland Snacks do good ones.

Ferris

Midland Snacks are the best commercially available, Mr Porky a distant second. I was unfortunate enough to grow up in the Black Country so you can take that as gospel.