Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 12, 2021, 08:44:56 PM

Does "AS THEY SHOULD BE" translate as "HAIRY"?

Not a fan of pork scratchings myself *ducks*

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Just seen marmite houmous in Tesco. What do you reckon, should I / shouldn't I?

Captain Crunch

Get that, the Marmite peanut butter and Marmite lynx, test all three and report back in the form of one of those unboxing videos.  Ma Mahmite HAUL check it out you guys.  Go on! 

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Already had the marmite peanut butter and it is quite nice tbf. No way am I inflicting that hellish lynx combo on both me and my partner though

Captain Crunch

Yes it can be tough adapting to a new fragrance when you're used to just dabbing a bit of Castrol behind your ear now and then. 

Ferris

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 23, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
Just seen marmite houmous in Tesco. What do you reckon, should I / shouldn't I?

I've voluntarily made and consumed vegemite[nb]near-infinitely superior to marmite[/nb] and humous sandwiches on several occasions. They're quite good. See also: vegemite and avocado toast.

imitationleather

I tried some of the Marmite Lynx shower gel. The most disconcerting thing about it is that it really looks like Marmite, and rubbing that brown liquid in to your skin feels very wrong.

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 23, 2021, 12:45:20 PM
I've voluntarily made and consumed vegemite[nb]near-infinitely superior to marmite[/nb] and humous sandwiches on several occasions. They're quite good. See also: vegemite and avocado toast.

Avocado toast is not food, it's an ideological statement.

Ferris

Blue Jam

You think Marmite houmous sounds wrong? Over Christmas my local branch of Sainsbury's was selling chocolate houmous. I know a vegan might welcome a chocolate sauce containing no dairy products, but chocolate houmous? Why would anyone do that to themselves?

I actually shuddered a bit typing all that.

Dex Sawash

I bought a tub of desert humous at lidl (america) probably reported in this thread. Tub was half chocolate half snickerdoodle. I managed to get the snickerdoodle side in but the chocolate was too weird. Dipped it out with graham crackers. They've got some new ones now but forget what the flavo(u)rs are.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 24, 2021, 11:44:48 AM
I bought a tub of desert humous at lidl (america) probably reported in this thread. Tub was half chocolate half snickerdoodle. I managed to get the snickerdoodle side in but the chocolate was too weird. Dipped it out with graham crackers. They've got some new ones now but forget what the flavo(u)rs are.

Is there an app which translates wrong American foodstuffs into English?

;)

Gurke and Hare

I think graham crackers are digestives or a close equivalent, because that's what US cheesecake recipes use for the base. Snickerdoodle, fuck knows.

seepage

I always assumed graham crackers were like Garibaldi biscuits minus the squished flies.

Blue Jam

I know graham crackers are sweet and more like biscuits than what we Brits know as crackers, but for ages I wondered why Americans were usigg savoury ingredients in recipes for desserts.

Also... Golden Grahams? Cinnamon Grahams? Those aren't digestives. There should be a Standard Biscuit Naming Consortium or something.

Blue Jam

Quote from: seepage on January 24, 2021, 03:30:25 PM
I always assumed graham crackers were like Garibaldi biscuits minus the squished flies.

I've always loved the name "Squashed Fly Biscuits". Also as someone who doesn't like dried vine fruits in most contexts those Marks and Sparks sultana butter biscuits are bloody lovely. Very calorific though so it's probably a good thing I've only eaten about four in my life, at times when people have brought them into the office etc.

Craving one now, grrrr.

seepage

There are a few in my current box of broken biscuits. Yum! Half the box is indestructible chocolate creams, so they could have missed out those and saved themselves a few bob. And they're horrible.

How are there not graham crackers in the UK? I noticed this on the most recent Bake Off season when the contestants thought that a s'more was just marshmallow + any random biscuit/cookie. Low-energy failed empire.

Graham crackers have a unique texture and are honey flavoured. Sometimes they will do special flavours like chocolate or cinnamon, but the quintessential "graham cracker" flavour is honey. Not sure what the UK equivalent would be.

Sebastian Cobb

Dex Sawash

thenoise

Quote from: Bazooka on January 23, 2021, 01:00:25 PM
Avocado toast is not food, it's an ideological statement.

I gave up my weekly avocado toast in order to save for a house. I've saved up £366.60 already. At this rate I should be able to cover the 10% deposit in about 76 years' time. Thanks for the tip, boomers!

flotemysost

^ haha

I've been going to an Asian grocery shop nearby for my roll call of not-very-adventurous stir fry ingredients (vermicelli rice noodles, Sriracha, Gochujang etc.) and it's a positively soothing experience compared to shopping in the big chain supermarkets. Organised distanced queue outside, firmly monitored customer limit, everyone wearing masks (and wearing them correctly).

(I know this isn't the supermarket thread, but hopefully it'll encourage me to try stuff I wouldn't normally have thought of/wouldn't have been able to find in a mainstream supermarket.)

There's also a significant Jewish community in my area and most of the big supermarkets have a kosher food shelf. I'm not Jewish but I've always liked that type of food, although I don't know very much about it. Bought some matzo the other day (the dry cracker type) which I've never tried before.

bgmnts

During one of my NYC I bought some matzo crackers and I found it impossible to make it close to edibile. I tried jam, chutney, peanut butter, cheese etc, nothing.

Kosher cardboard. IDF MDF.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2021, 07:07:00 PM
During one of my NYC I bought some matzo crackers and I found it impossible to make it close to edibile. I tried jam, chutney, peanut butter, cheese etc, nothing.

Kosher cardboard. IDF MDF.

This does the trick: https://www.thespruceeats.com/matzo-crack-4581250

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2021, 07:07:00 PM
IDF MDF.

Doesn't look good for carbin'.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 24, 2021, 07:35:28 PM

Looks great, although I notice there's a recipe on the same website for "Christmas Crack". Is this actually some sort of multifaith dark web drug portal?

Blue Jam

I quite like matzos.

Been making regular trips to my local Jewish beigel shop over lockdown. Was glad to see it open and have been making an effort to support it since. Bagels/Beigels aren't junk food though. Might have to try their babka and pretend I'm in Seinfeld.

stonkers

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 14, 2021, 01:01:16 AM
Midland Snacks are the best commercially available, Mr Porky a distant second. I was unfortunate enough to grow up in the Black Country so you can take that as gospel.

Another vote for the Midland pork scratchings, though Mr Porky's Finest are also very good. I liked the Snaffling Pig Colman's mustard cracklings but haven't seen them in a while.

seepage

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 24, 2021, 07:35:28 PM

Or sell the remainder to Domino's - they use them for the base of their "thin-crust" pizzas.

Captain Crunch

Wetherspoons pizza (pine) taste like matzo.

Blue Jam

Sticky Toffee Pudding flavour Hobnobs. They taste like normal Hobnobs but a bit sweeter. Disappointing. Only made up for by the discovery that my local Tesco's is now stocking pineapple Jaffa Cakes.