Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I'm all about the healthy fake ice cream these days:

Just got some Haplotype reduced at Saino's. Lovely swirly bits of solid peanut butter in it. Tastes reassuringly unhealthy. High in protein though so it's practically a health food wuuurrrrgghh get in

Blue Jam

Oppo is lovely as well:

"HEALTHY ICE CREAM"

chveik

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 21, 2021, 12:46:59 PM
Been fucking demolishing wasabi peas recently. The bridge of my nose has really been suffering for it but I don't care. I honestly think it might be the greatest flavour ever.

yeah same. a marvellous invention

canadagoose

Blue Jam, I haven't tried any of that healthy ice cream yet, but I think I should. Can you get wee tubs anywhere? My freezer is in a bit of a state at present.

Blue Jam

canadagoose those are Haagen Dazs-sized 500ml tubs so quite smol. If you want even smoller ones The Cameo used to sell Oppo in single serve tubs but who knows if the cinemas are going to reopen :(

Places like Real Foods might do Oppo, some of the flavours are vegan. I think Real Foods sell Magnum-style vegan ice "creams" on a stick, they should be small enough.

Considerit (opposite Summerhall) do vegan ice cream which is probably healthier than the dairy variety, not tried it myself but the queue is down the street most days so I imagine it's pretty good.

Ransacked Black Oven used to do really nice vegan ice cream but they won't be reopening after lockdown :(

Halo Top and Jude's are widely available, you'll find a limited range of them at most small Tesco Express/Sainsbury's Local-type places. If you want more flavours most big supermarkets have a decent range of healthy ice cream now, and Sainsbury's also do Oppo in lots of flavours. Sainsbury's always seem to have one brand on offer as well, it was Halo Top when I went in yesterday.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 22, 2021, 09:19:20 AM
canadagoose those are Haagen Dazs-sized 500ml tubs so quite smol. If you want even smoller ones The Cameo used to sell Oppo in single serve tubs but who knows if the cinemas are going to reopen :(

Places like Real Foods might do Oppo, some of the flavours are vegan. I think Real Foods sell Magnum-style vegan ice "creams" on a stick, they should be small enough.

Considerit (opposite Summerhall) do vegan ice cream which is probably healthier than the dairy variety, not tried it myself but the queue is down the street most days so I imagine it's pretty good.

Ransacked Black Oven used to do really nice vegan ice cream but they won't be reopening after lockdown :(

Halo Top and Jude's are widely available, you'll find a limited range of them at most small Tesco Express/Sainsbury's Local-type places. If you want more flavours most big supermarkets have a decent range of healthy ice cream now, and Sainsbury's also do Oppo in lots of flavours. Sainsbury's always seem to have one brand on offer as well, it was Halo Top when I went in yesterday.
Thanks, I might have to go into town and have a look. I need to go anyway for other things, so I might as well find some of that stuff.

JamesTC

If you have a Heron Foods near you, they often have some sort of healthy ice cream quite cheap.

Sebastian Cobb

Had two Cornettos for pudding last night; felt like a new man.

bgmnts

Quote from: JamesTC on March 24, 2021, 09:42:35 AM
If you have a Heron Foods near you, they often have some sort of healthy ice cream quite cheap.

Heron is fucking ace for this kind of stuff, they'll randomly get oat milk, vegan cheese or tofu or something for incredibly cheap and I don't know how.

Fr.Bigley

About to have a fishcake butty..but a proper fishcake...since of spud then slice of fish on it the topped off with another spud slice, dunked in batter n deep fried.

Third one this week.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 24, 2021, 11:30:40 AM
About to have a fishcake butty..but a proper fishcake...since of spud then slice of fish on it the topped off with another spud slice, dunked in batter n deep fried.

Third one this week.

I've been getting into having these for lunch:

The rice coating is pretty crispy, better than batter if you're ovening it.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 24, 2021, 11:32:50 AM

To be fair they look banging, would probably double up on them and make a skint zinger tower burger. Might peruse the sainso's for em.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bazooka

I don't know why the rice coating hasn't been imitated elsewhere.  Actually when I lived in Korea one place had it but not as dense as the Birdseye discs.

buttgammon

These look excellent! Must get some.

Bazooka

They've only been around since the 90's! Get with the 'machine formed chicken' times.

M&S chilli and cheese and Marmite and cheese hot cross buns are ridiculously nice. Fuck's sake, I'm supposed to be low carb these days.

Kankurette

Not just junk food, but cooking is one thing that's been therapeutic for me during lockdown and earlier I made a fish pie with a very creamy sauce. It's probably got a gajillion calories but I don't care.

Sebastian Cobb

Just made my first microwave mug cake.

Dex Sawash

Domino's up the road has a sign offering lava cakes. Could they fuck up undercooked fat and sugar as badly as they do cheese and bread? I bet not.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 27, 2021, 12:37:26 PM
Domino's up the road has a sign offering lava cakes. Could they fuck up undercooked fat and sugar as badly as they do cheese and bread? I bet not.

In my experience dominoes are astounding at making their non-pizza items unimaginably bad, their potato wedges are unbelievably soggy, worse than school canteen level.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 27, 2021, 12:50:17 PM
In my experience dominoes are astounding at making their non-pizza items unimaginably bad, their potato wedges are unbelievably soggy, worse than school canteen level.

The whole chain is abysmal, it's note worthy that the only redeemable thing they have (The garlic dip) Isn't even produced by them. Papa Johns (cunt), Dominoes and pizza hut are shit. What people like is Neapolitan style pizza or shite bread with plasti-cheese, there's no middle ground really. If there was a chain of Neapolitan style pizzerias that did it properly i'd be tempted but people want uniformly, substandard consistence and the infrastructure of these places is designed for just that carbon copy crap result but it looks like a pizza philosophy.

I'll stick to the independent traders that actually deliver a pizza. 

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I don't go for it really.

On the takeaway front I got a mixed kebab from the Lebanese round the corner last weekend as I had a discount, and I also got something called 'Arayes' which was spicy lamb meat between a soft bread/pancake thing. Kind of half-way between a keema naan and quesadilla. Will be going back for sure.

Fr.Bigley

Kankurette

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 26, 2021, 11:00:49 PM
Just made my first microwave mug cake.
I got into those things last year. I do a nice chocolate raisin one.

Domino's dip is amazing. I wish the tubs were bigger.

imitationleather

The best thing about the Domino's dip is that it's fat free!!!

Blue Jam

Those Leon frozen chicken nuggets have some kind of gluten-free rice-based coating don't they? I must try them soon. They're Leon so they're probably quite posh, too posh to count as junk food. Probably rammed full of garlic though.

seepage

Everything is rammed full of garlic powder.

Kankurette

Lemon drizzle-flavoured chocolate digestives. Lemon and chocolate go surprisingly well together.