Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

Spotted some veggie FRAY BENTOS earlier. Cheese and Onion, Veg Balti and the wholly inappropriate Vegan Steak and fucking Kidney.

Didn't buy any as they were £2. I'm a £1 Bentos kinda guy.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Was going hell for leather on the sour cream and chive pringles (my usual go to) but Tesco's stopped reducing them to a pound. Luckily mini cheddars are doing their Red Leicester ones in a 12 pack and they are a godsend. Also seconding any positive recommendations for the pineapple Jaffa cakes.
Also got a giant pork pie today. Tbh it would probably be quicker & easier to ask me what non-junk food I've consumed in quarantine.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Also my Tesco's need to restock this sharpish

Dewt

Looks bad, Angrew. Looks really bad.

Everything I can have delivered to me is worse than things I can cook (that's more of a condemnation about the quality of the food delivery options around here than it is me bragging about my cooking skills) so I'm in this cursed position of anything convenient just being an expensive disappointment.

unicycley mcunicycleface

very scant coverage of the chocolate food group (was it just the McVities??)

unfortunately I live in Australia and chocolate here tends to be rubbery, I think it's deliberately so to avoid just flat out melting

been a long time since I lived in the UK; is Lilt still available there?

peanutbutter

Been enjoying these over the last few weeks a few times too many

and also these

and I buy a load of pastries whenever I'm in Lidl too.

Dewt

I hope you eventually find a quadruple food

gib

Quote from: unicycley mcunicycleface on May 03, 2020, 03:22:14 AM
very scant coverage of the chocolate food group (was it just the McVities??)

unfortunately I live in Australia and chocolate here tends to be rubbery, I think it's deliberately so to avoid just flat out melting

been a long time since I lived in the UK; is Lilt still available there?

yes

Lots of own brand equivalents to Bounty's, Snickers, Twix, Mars and Milky Way from Morrison's, and Coconut Ring biscuits, which have become like crack to me. So moreish.

buttgammon

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on May 03, 2020, 02:46:59 AM
Also my Tesco's need to restock this sharpish

Speaking of Tesco falafel, has anyone seen any of the Cauldron Foods ones lately? We were loving them at the start of the lockdown but I haven't been able to get them for weeks now.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dewt on May 03, 2020, 04:16:51 AM
I hope you eventually find a quadruple food

Not actually tried these, that nutrition information is a bit scary.

Dex Sawash

Lidl (usa)  has some falafel coins that are a vastly improved form factor to the sphere. Firm up nicely in the oven if you want to use them to scoop up glops or goo.

Quote from: canadagoose on May 01, 2020, 07:07:49 AM
Also this isn't really junk food, but these are really tasty:

I've got through two packets since Tuesday. Ridiculous.

Looks confusingly like a bar of dark chocolate with olive bits.

beanheadmcginty

My mate sent me a photo of some new spicy chicken wing flavour mini Cheddars he was eating. Apparently they're delicious but I'm not really in the mood to go trawling a load of supermarkets to track them down.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 03, 2020, 02:11:07 AM
Spotted some veggie FRAY BENTOS earlier. Cheese and Onion, Veg Balti and the wholly inappropriate Vegan Steak and fucking Kidney.

Didn't buy any as they were £2. I'm a £1 Bentos kinda guy.

Bought about 4 £1 Veg Balti Bentos from B&M in some long forgotten golden summer.  Life is/was Beautiful.

weekender

Not sure I've actually eaten anything since Friday's packet of Fiery Steak McCoys (nice).

Does having a Yazoo count?  My father always told me that milk was a food, not a drink.

SteveDave

I had my long longed for Beer+Burger cheeseburger and salty af fries last night and I've never felt so sated.

Blue Jam

Quote from: SteveDave on May 04, 2020, 10:58:45 AM
I had my long longed for Beer+Burger cheeseburger and salty af fries last night and I've never felt so sated.

Just looked up Beer+Burger and their menu looks like pure filth. I hope you enjoyed.

Here I have just made myself a French dip sandwich using the leftovers from the lovely roast dinner Mr Jam made last night. Roast beef, shallots, mustard, red wine gravy, and a drizzle of truffle oil because why the fuck not. It's The Last Days Of 'Rona.

SteveDave

Captain Crunch

LIDL screwballs use the EXACT bubblegum you used to get from the machine in the swing park.  Makes you want to go and throw yourself off a witch's hat. 

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 29, 2020, 08:25:06 PM
Working my way through the Mr Noodles range. Done beef, chicken, had "vegetable" for lunch.

Ratings so far

Beef > vegetable > any of the "spicy" range > chicken

Dewt

seepage

does anyone else mix a pouch of microwave rice with about 30g butter (and lots of salt & pepper) or am I a monster?

ditto for 2 x steam veg bags

Dewt

It's not the butter and salt and pepper that makes you a monster, it's the microwave rice.

Get a rice cooker and some real rice.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: seepage on May 05, 2020, 04:24:31 PM
does anyone else mix a pouch of microwave rice with about 30g butter grated parmesan (and lots of salt & pepper) or am I a monster?

ditto for 2 x steam veg bags

but no extra salt

seepage

Quote from: Dewt on May 05, 2020, 05:00:10 PM
Get a rice cooker and some real rice.

Thanks - honestly never looked at those before. I'm gonna get one! (once partner agrees).

Dewt

Quote from: seepage on May 05, 2020, 07:16:39 PM
Thanks - honestly never looked at those before. I'm gonna get one! (once partner agrees).
I'm genuinely happy!

You can't go wrong with this if you want a high-quality one:

it'll do a decent congee too on the porridge setting. And you can cook as little as half a cup of rice if you just want a single serving.

But the cheap ones are good too. Try not to get ones that are gimmicky, you want a solid rice cooker that primarily cooks great rice.

Oh, and bear in mind that these don't make rice cooking quick in times of time, only in terms of effort. Rice'll take an hour in this, but you can guarantee that you can set it, forget it and get perfect rice out of the other side of the experience. Plus you can set it on a timer for dinner time or whatever.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Staring intently, lost in thought at the buttons on that machine

Making photoshops in my head relabelling them all

"ARSED MATE" ,  "GRAVEL" "WHAT, AGAIN", "END THE MAN"

Abnormal Palm

I once left some leftover rice in a rice cooker for eight months through a minus 10 winter and into a 40 degree summer. Air tight. When I opened it up, the stench almost took my eyebrows off. The most acrid mi jiu funk of all time. Stop a Yokozuna dead. Halt a tsunami. I just threw them whole thing straight in the dompster.

Blue Jam

Just had a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer, but I was given that in return for a pint of my blood, and giving blood is like a licence to eat sugary crap. Seemed like a fair swap too. And it's something to do innit?

Couldn't enjoy me Tunnock's at the donor centre though 'cause of social distancing, right now they just hand you your sweet and tasty treat and send you packing to replenish your blood sugar elsewhere.