Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Just been having a matcha latte (instant). I had no idea what it tasted like so I decided to get some. It's really good - and a lot more green tea flavour than I was expecting.

Also been eating a ton of polenta. I got a bag of instant stuff from Morrisons for 99p and it makes an incredible amount. (See also the rice vermicelli from Amazon. Really cheap and makes a load of noodles.) I've been adding sun-dried tomatoes to it and eating it as a main course. It's pretty versatile.

Fr.Bigley

Bet it's not as versatile as findus crispy arse.

Blue Jam

Quote from: canadagoose on March 30, 2021, 09:46:49 AM
Just been having a matcha latte (instant). I had no idea what it tasted like so I decided to get some. It's really good - and a lot more green tea flavour than I was expecting.

I got a bit addicted to Doutor matcha lattes when I lived in Japan. Just before boarding my flight home I found a branch of Doutor right by the gate and I was so happy, ordered an extra large one and savoured it.

I got some instant matcha latte sachets from one of the Asian grocers here, they were surprisingly good, very close to the real thing. I might go and buy some more today, cheers.

canadagoose

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 30, 2021, 09:55:02 AM
Bet it's not as versatile as findus crispy arse.
I'll crisp your arse in a minute.

QuoteI got a bit addicted to Doutor matcha lattes when I lived in Japan. Just before boarding my flight home I found a branch of Doutor right by the gate and I was so happy, ordered an extra large one and savoured it.
I've never heard of that brand - is it worth a go? Not that I'll be able to find it over here, probably.

Blue Jam

Doutor is a chain of coffee shops in Japan, I'm pretty sure they don't sell their products in supermarkets or online (trust me, I've looked). They just did the best matcha lattes I could find, with the perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. We had a branch of Tully's at werk, and they did matcha lattes in seasonal editions with added honey, chocolate etc, and they were nice but just not the same. When Mr Jam came to visit me I got him addicted to Doutor as well.

I can't remember the name of the brand of instant matcha latte I bought here but I intend to pop out and buy some more later and I shall report back. It was from one of the Southeast Asian grocers in Newington, we're a bit spoiled for them in this part of town and it's great.

Might see if I can find some kind of matcha-flavoured Japanese biscuits while I'm there, I'm mad for matcha, me. Made some matcha ice cream once and it was amazing, will definitely do that again if I can find some matcha for cheap at TK Maxx.

Paul Hollywood hates matcha, one of many reasons to distrust him.

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen some really tempting lassi recipes that use macha.

I bought some spray cream to go with mug cakes but exhausted it almost entirely by putting loads of it on coffees and hot chocolates. Got through it in 4 days.

Blue Jam

Oh gawd I really want some squirty cream now. Probably haven't had any since I was about five, but now I want some. On an instant matcha latte. Sprinkled with cocoa powder.

Right, got a shopping list now, seeya later.

Kankurette

I've never eaten Findus crispy pancakes. I get the feeling I've missed out on some great British cultural milestone.

Blue Jam

Been shopping for matcha goodness. Instant matcha latte isn't the same brand I got before, this one's a bit too sweet but it'll do. No-one beats Doutor... Also picked up some matcha biscuits with a celebrity endorsement that is totally lost on me. Got me Barry Hearn-endorsed mug, cheers:

Kankurette

What does matcha taste like, exactly?

Blue Jam

It's impossible to describe. Maybe kind of bitter, a bit grassy, a bit sweet, but mostly it's a strong, smooth, rich flavour. It's nothing like black tea and it doesn't taste very herbal, you'd have to try it yourself to get an idea. It's like Marmite but only in that people tend to either love it or hate it.

canadagoose

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 30, 2021, 02:29:45 PM
Been shopping for matcha goodness. Instant matcha latte isn't the same brand I got before, this one's a bit too sweet but it'll do. No-one beats Doutor... Also picked up some matcha biscuits with a celebrity endorsement that is totally lost on me. Got me Barry Hearn-endorsed mug, cheers:

Ooh, fancy. I might have a look myself. We've got two Chinese supermarkets down this end, but I might have to get a 7 or 14 and have a look at the shops you've got.

turnstyle

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 30, 2021, 02:29:45 PM

I might give some of the tea a spin. Something to do innit?

What's with the 3 in 1 though? Does it turn into a boat and a small car too?

Blue Jam

Yes, and the biscuits are like Transform-A-Snack except you can make them into gundam.

;) I think that just refers to the sachets containing tea, milk and sugar. You do still have to provide your own squirty cream though.

Dex Sawash

I like the freeze-dried  chrysanthemum tea granule packs from the asian market. Haven't bought in a long time because they are too sugary and I can't be trusted with a whole box of them.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 31, 2021, 11:50:07 AM
I like the freeze-dried  chrysanthemum tea granule packs from the asian market. Haven't bought in a long time because they are too sugary and I can't be trusted with a whole box of them.

My mate used to get weed in fake tea packaging like that.

Blue Jam

I forgot: I also got me some MSG. Amazing stuff. Try it on a bit of cheese or add it to some fried onions and you'll want to put it on everything.

I do make quite a lot of Thai curries but I really need to get down to the Southeast Asian grocers more often. I guess I have mostly been cooking Indian recipes over lockdown, must expand my repertoire.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I bought some of that ostensibly for throwing in Chinese style stuff, but have also been chucking it in my grubbier curries like chicken/paneer tikka masala.

I ended up ordering some Sichuan Peppercorns off of ebay to try a Kung-Pao caulliflower thing from Meera Sodha's East book.

It's just occurred to me that it didn't occur to me I could've gone and got these from one of several Asian grocers about 20 or so minutes walk away. Such is my life as an anchorite now.

Blue Jam

I need to get me a decent Chinese cookbook. Been meaning to get one of Fuschia Dunlop's for ages.

I also got me some fake smoked sea salt from Aldi recently. Just normal sea salt with smoke flavouring, which probably explains why it's so cheap. I want to put that on everything too.

DrGreggles

I'm having a takeaway tonight and you can't stop me.

seepage

Tuesday is takeaway night 'cos Just Eat Cheeky Tuesday 20% off, and bin day is Wednesday so the smelly detritus gets collected the morning after. 

imitationleather

Getting this wheeled in tomorrow:

DrGreggles

That looks delicious.
It'd probably kill me, but I'd die happy.

seepage

Looks like an alien's had a go on it.

Sebastian Cobb

This lot could probably make an actual jobbie taste good.

Cerys

Dex Sawash

New Girl Scout cookie, the Toast-Yay. Meant to be a french toast cookie. Tastes of imitationleather maple and waxy coating 7/10.
Wasn't sure if it should go here or Better Call Saul thread with the recent french toast chat.

Kankurette

Quote from: canadagoose on March 30, 2021, 09:46:49 AM

Also been eating a ton of polenta. I got a bag of instant stuff from Morrisons for 99p and it makes an incredible amount. (See also the rice vermicelli from Amazon. Really cheap and makes a load of noodles.) I've been adding sun-dried tomatoes to it and eating it as a main course. It's pretty versatile.
Good flour substitute as well. I've made a few cakes with polenta and they have a slightly rough, grainy texture.

My brother sent me a box of chocolate bars, so I'm going to return the favour and bake a cake for his birthday next week.

Blue Jam

"Cheeky" Cherry Jaffa Cakes. I somehow knew they'd be disappointing even as I was buying them. Didn't stop me though did it?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 10, 2021, 03:20:27 PM
"Cheeky" Cherry Jaffa Cakes. I somehow knew they'd be disappointing even as I was buying them. Didn't stop me though did it?
The passion fruit ones aren't too bad.