Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Junk food consumed in quarantine

Started by Blue Jam, April 29, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Tunnocks transcends junk though.  I mean it is obviously junk but they're so good at it it doesn't count.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I, too, am a hero and gave blood yesterday. They were also doing the distancing dance, but weren't booting people out immediately. That said, I did cut down on the snacks: normally I stay for about ten minutes and eat as many crisps and biscuits as possible - frankly, even I think I'm taking the piss. Yesterday I contented myself with an orange Club biscuit and a seemingly large bag of popcorn, that turned out to be mostly filled with air.

I stopped at the mini Sainsbury's on my way home and bought myself a bag of those granola squares. They're my favourite sweet treat, but my local Co-op doesn't seem to have had any in stock for months.

Dewt

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 06, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
I, too, am a hero and gave blood yesterday. They were also doing the distancing dance
Do they put the needle on the end of a big stick?

Blue Jam

No big stick, but I was pleased to see adequate stocks of PPE in there. I shall credit The Sturge, not Hat Mancock, though.

Enjoyed my Tunnock's sat in The Meadows, in the sunshine, figuring the cops couldn't move me on because I'M A HERO. I'm like Captain fucking Tom here mate.

Quote from: Dewt on May 06, 2020, 03:54:55 PM
Do they put the needle on the end of a big stick?
They used one of these

Blue Jam

Got a good motivation to avoid booze for today now. I think someone on here once said that drinking right after giving blood won't kill you, but the hangover will make you really wish you hadn't.

Dewt

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 06, 2020, 04:02:57 PM
They used one of these

Blood donation nuts are we
Rhesus minus, plus AB
We will show we can help too
With a needle strapped to a snooker cue

Blue Jam

Take the red stuff, screw back
For a red, red, red, red, red and red

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2020, 04:28:16 PM
Take the red stuff, screw back
For a red, red, red, red, red and red
And off you fuck with your sugary snack

canadagoose

Quote from: flotemysost on May 01, 2020, 10:54:11 PM
Fuck me in the neck, that looks like something I could do some damage to/could do some damage to me (or to my blood pressure at least). Worth braving the absolute Feast of San Fermín that my local Tesco Metro is right now.
It's well worth it - and, as I've just discovered, so are nocellara olives, as per Blue Jam's recommendation. What an olive. I couldn't get them without pits, but they're very tasty.

Stocked up on peanuts now. I had a real craving last week and couldn't find them. Was there a run on them or something? Weird.

Speaking of olives: We've all heard of Jumping Beans, but I actually invented Fighting Olives. It happened when I pitted them against each other.

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2020, 04:07:17 PMGot a good motivation to avoid booze for today now. I think someone on here once said that drinking right after giving blood won't kill you, but the hangover will make you really wish you hadn't.
I had a pint of beer (well, Budweiser) with my dinner and have felt no ill effects.

What did take its toll was the walk to and from the donation. It's only about an hour each way, but my legs are absolutely knackered today. I'm starting to think that my policy of not exercising during lockdown might have been a mistake.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 05, 2020, 05:00:10 PM
It's not the butter and salt and pepper that makes you a monster, it's the microwave rice.

Get a rice cooker and some real rice.

Always found them a bit shit for basmati.

Instant pot is great for this though as you can melt a load of ghee and fry onions, garlic then mix in a load of turmeric etc and out pops some lovely yellow greasy rice.

Dewt

Yeah, rice cookers are more of an East Asia thing I guess. I don't ever cook basmati, but they're ideal for short grain/sushi rice, general white and brown rice, gaba rice and jasmine.

Blue Jam

Quote from: canadagoose on May 06, 2020, 04:42:11 PM
It's well worth it - and, as I've just discovered, so are nocellara olives, as per Blue Jam's recommendation. What an olive. I couldn't get them without pits, but they're very tasty.

Nice aren't they? I don't think you can get them pitted, I think the stones might be too big (or the flesh might be too thin). At least I have never seen pitted ones anywhere.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 06, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
I, too, am a hero and gave blood yesterday.

May I ask: did you feel like you could eat a fucking house afterwards, or am I just a wuss? Still feeling a bit peckish now, will just drink a 500ml bottle of fizzy water and get to bed soon.

Apparently it takes 650 calories to replenish one pint of donated blood. That's about 218g of black pudding.

Dewt

Do they still give you biscuits and tea afterwards? I guess not in this new, sterile age.

Blue Jam

Here in Scotchland we get squash (orange or blackcurrant) or water and a selection of tasty treats: Tunnock's caramel wafers, McVities' digestive biscuits, TUC biscuits as the savoury option, and some sort of vegan raw fruit bar for the masochists. All in hermetically sealed lunchbox snack packs of course. We'll, the Tunnock's arenae sealed but there was a bit of an uproar when there was talk of withdrawing them as an option, so they have to stay.

They'd sterilised the pens as well, I felt v. safe indeed.

beanheadmcginty

In her capacity as a journalist and blagger, my flatmate got sent the full range of Doritos Stax. They're essentially Doritos in a triangular Pringles tube. Except they're not as nice as Doritos. Less satisfying texture and the cheese ones are nowhere near as tasty and addictive as normal cheesy Doritos. Not really sure why they exist.

idunnosomename

holy shit if you give blood they give you a tunnock's now? drain my arm baby

I've never even seen a Tunnocks at any of my donations. I'm starting to think I should demand my gallons of blood back.

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2020, 09:34:31 PM
May I ask: did you feel like you could eat a fucking house afterwards, or am I just a wuss? Still feeling a bit peckish now, will just drink a 500ml bottle of fizzy water and get to bed soon.

Apparently it takes 650 calories to replenish one pint of donated blood. That's about 218g of black pudding.
I wasn't all that hungry, although I did have all four granola bars that evening (they're a health food, so it's not gluttony). Mostly I was distracted by the ache in my knees, so I'm probably the wuss - albeit a totally ace and heroic one.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 07, 2020, 12:39:58 AM
I've never even seen a Tunnocks at any of my donations. I'm starting to think I should demand my gallons of blood back.

I think it's a Scotblood thing. My blood is Welsh but they don't discriminate and I was still allowed to have one. If you are in Scotland maybe you're just booking your appointments for too late in the day and they're aw gone by the time you get to the donor centre.

Had the best night's sleep I'd had in ages last night and woke up feeling even more ace and heroic. I should have given blood more often back in the days when I was a massive insomniac. Also I lost 0.3 kilos despite eating lots of sugary crap yesterday. Get in!

Oddly enough, I barely slept a wink the night after my utterly heroic donation. We're like a sort of sanguine yin yang. An ace, selfless and heroic one.

Having quite hairy arms, the worst part for me (other than the lack of Tunnocks) is when I tear off the plaster.
We seem to have wandered of topic a bit. It's fine though. I think we've earned the right, through our selfless acts of heroic aceness.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 05, 2020, 03:26:47 PM
Ratings so far

Beef > vegetable > any of the "spicy" range > chicken

Update - spicy chicken. Minimal chicken notes, and the spice was far too much. Not inedible, but not far off.

It goes into the bottom tier for me Clive. Bit of rejigging at the top of the charts as well.

Vegetable > beef > spicy beef > chicken > spicy chicken

There's a prawn one that I'm going to just assume is awful and save myself the drama. I think mushroom is the last one, unless there's a spicy veg.

Head Gardener

I've been trying really hard to eat well, fruit/yoghurt, veggie options etc, but the spuds I just found in the cupboard seem to have mutated, this is what happens when left to cope on my own...

Dewt

Almost entirely lacking salt. But tasty.

Disappointing. I was expecting something wetter.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dewt on May 13, 2020, 07:18:51 AM

"American Fried Potato"

Doing Japanese on Duolingo, this is fun.

The other one is "Home Pie", surprisingly.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 12, 2020, 12:31:38 PM

I've been trying really hard to eat well, fruit/yoghurt, veggie options etc, but the spuds I just found in the cupboard seem to have mutated, this is what happens when left to cope on my own...

buttgammon

That's happened a few times lately. Am I best transferring them from the plastic packaging to a paper bag when I get home from the supermarket?

Fr.Bigley

Not really a junk food type of guy but I've been actually addicted to the Aldi rosemary crackers for the last few weeks almost a pack a day. It's a problem.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 13, 2020, 12:27:47 PM
Not really a junk food type of guy but I've been actually addicted to the Aldi rosemary crackers for the last few weeks almost a pack a day. It's a problem.

ah yeah they are soooo nice! if your into chocolate keep away from the new dark choc coated fruits by Moser Roth, I got through a whole packet watching Magnum Force last night