Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad Trip

Started by Head Gardener, April 30, 2020, 07:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I loved his TV series and this morning I see an Eric Andre movie has just come out, I'll watch it tonight even though it does look pretty daft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9sEYMdG1p4

Dewt

Why has Eric Andre made a 2002 prank movie :-(

Head Gardener

Bazooka

Call me dubious, but why did I not see genuine reactions? Or maybe it was reactions to blatant acting, causing unnatural reactions, or X-factor audience style editing.

Dewt

Quote from: Bazooka on April 30, 2020, 08:32:35 AM
Call me dubious, but why did I not see genuine reactions? Or maybe it was reactions to blatant acting, causing unnatural reactions, or X-factor audience style editing.
Yeah. They are small-time actors who have been paid ahead of time to go with the flow. They don't know what's going to happen but they know they're being filmed. So there's genuine shock, but it's "I'm at a fairground haunted house" kind-of shock, where you know there's no real peril and were prepared for something to happen.

You couldn't make these movies any other way. You'd waste half of your shooting when people didn't want to sign waivers, or they reacted in an absolutely unusable way.

Sometimes they make it real by blurring faces they don't have to blur, and showing the "there's a camera here, there's a camera here!" reveal to the victims. They're not learning that they are being filmed on cameras, they're just enjoying discovering how the sausage is made.

Now, would anybody like me to kill some more joy?

You can still know it's all bollocks and enjoy it. I think knowing how it works lets you appreciate the reactions for what they are. They're still real, even if they're not "completely unsuspecting member of the public" real. I actually enjoyed Bad Grandpa and that wasn't even a good Jackass movie.

Bazooka

I'm aware of all that, but it rarely pays off because the reactions are too subdued by time something happens, because the set up is more elaborate. All prank formulas loose their edge the bigger they get.

Head Gardener

I'd like to see a full film in a similar vein to this episode

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Dewt on April 30, 2020, 08:28:27 AM
Why has Eric Andre made a 2002 prank movie :-(

Eric Andre is a 2002 prank movie

Chriddof

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 30, 2020, 09:41:47 AM
Eric Andre is a 2002 prank movie

Yeah. There are occasional moments in The Eric Andre Show that I really like, but he seems obsessed with the idea of "pranks" to its detriment. The best stuff in that for me is just some bit of oddness that doesn't rely on a Hollywood actor being startled, or the kind of thing as just described by Dewt, and is in this new film. I'm sick of pranks. Just move on, Andre! Do something different!

alan nagsworth

His standup is tremendous (I saw him last year and I was in fuckin hysterics) and The Eric Andre Show had plenty of brilliantly anarchic and disturbing non-prank material. He has good ideas, but unfortunately this is probably a decent enough money maker for him, right? Also wasn't this supposed to be coming out like a year ago?

up_the_hampipe

This movie does have some very funny ideas, many of them executed well. There's also a few that are a waste of time, but not in a silly enough way to justify. Andre seems to enjoy stunts where he looks like he's been in a horrible accident and the joke is how concerned people are for him. Never really understood that as a prank, and there's a few of those in this. There's some hysterical moments though, so it's worth checking out.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Just another tawdry example of the prank generation.

up_the_hampipe

I rewatched this with a Woke Feminist Friend and I was dreading the zoo scene but she ended up finding it very funny. Maybe pranks can finally heal the comedy divide.