Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:08:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Code 404 - New Sky Sitcom with Daniel Mays as a sort of British Robocop

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 30, 2020, 06:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This started last night, with Mays gunned down right at the beginning but then brought back to life a year later, though he's sort of mostly man, a bit computer these days. Also in the cast is Stephen Graham as his straight man partner and Richard Gadd is one of the bad guys, while Steve Oram's a corrupt copper, and Rosie Cavaliero's their slightly mocking boss. I've only seen the first two episodes but I like it a lot, it's pleasingly daft and occasionally borders on ZAZ material, but it's not just a spoof and has a lot more to offer than just silly gags.

EOLAN

Is Stephen Graham set to do a co-starring role with all the other 'corrupt' coppers from Line of Duty. Look forward to the Keeley Hawes one. Enjoyed 'Save Me'; will give this a try.

phantom_power

I thought it was a bit lazy and relied far too much on the leads. Some of it was quite funny but the drugs bit in the first episode was incredibly shit and weak. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be either. One minute it is Airplane, the next Black Mirror. I will give it a bit more of a watch to see if the tone becomes clearer but I am not holding out much hope

Mobius

I'm enjoying it it 3 episodes in. Nothing new, but some funny bits. It's something to watch and does have some good jokes in amongst the average stuff

phantom_power

The coke bit in episode one was shit. Surely everyone must agree with that? It doesn't even conform to the effects it has on people.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mobius on May 01, 2020, 12:08:44 PM
I'm enjoying it it 3 episodes in. Nothing new, but some funny bits. It's something to watch and does have some good jokes in amongst the average stuff

That's pretty much how I feel, I think the first episode was by the far best and the others haven't been as strong, but I like it overall, think Mays is really superb in it (his deliver of the line about
Spoiler alert
Chessington World Of Adventures
[close]
had me howling) and the storyline is keeping me engaged.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 01, 2020, 01:34:39 PM
The coke bit in episode one was shit. Surely everyone must agree with that? It doesn't even conform to the effects it has on people.

I found it funny, I know it wasn't realistic but put that down to him being partially a robot / AI type.

Small Man Big Horse

I've finished this now, the final episode lent on the dramatic elements a bit too much, and I can't imagine the reveals would have surprised anyone, but it was a show I was pretty damn fond of and so I do hope it comes back.

Alberon

Watched the first episode and the style is a bit all over the shop. A couple of reasonable laughs, so I'll give another episode a go.

timebug

Two episodes in and undecided. Agree with almost all of the previous comments, it just fails to spark that special feeling that would make me want to avidly watch it. I probably will, but as it stands I am in no particular hurry to do so.

Replies From View

Malcy

Still not got round to watchong this but just seen that it's getting a 2nd series and is Sky's biggest comedy of the past 8 years or something.

Alberon

I've watched three or four now and it's not really, well, anything. It's not so much so few jokes landing, but so few jokes in the first place.

steveh

Given how many good comic actors there were in this, Al Campbell directing and what must have been a bigger production budget than most British comedies these days it was disappointing. I almost gave up after the first episode but thought it did start to find its way in the second half of the series even if it still needed a much sharper script. Too often it was just repeating cliches as comedy rather than doing anything smarter with them.

timebug

Started episode three and just lost the will to live. So in the 'Abandoned' pile for me. Pity it could have been good!

Famous Mortimer

For no good reason, I waited a year to watch this.

Quote from: phantom_power on May 01, 2020, 11:06:17 AM
One minute it is Airplane, the next Black Mirror.
I agree, but see it as a positive. I think the two things work well together.

Daniel Mays was in that "Plus One" from about ten years back I liked (possibly because Ingrid Oliver was really good in it), so perhaps I'm just feeling in a forgiving mood.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 16, 2021, 03:06:53 PM
For no good reason, I waited a year to watch this.
I agree, but see it as a positive. I think the two things work well together.

Daniel Mays was in that "Plus One" from about ten years back I liked (possibly because Ingrid Oliver was really good in it), so perhaps I'm just feeling in a forgiving mood.

I was fond of it overall even despite minor gripes over the finale, and am looking forward to it coming back at the start of September.

Alberon

They're making more of it? Hope they put some jokes in this time.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: EOLAN on May 01, 2020, 09:58:23 AM
Is Stephen Graham set to do a co-starring role with all the other 'corrupt' coppers from Line of Duty. Look forward to the Keeley Hawes one. Enjoyed 'Save Me'; will give this a try.

Great actor, but Stephen Graham is at that over-exposed tipping point for me now. See similar very good actors: Jason Watkins, Anne Reid, Shaun Dooley, Sheen, Marsan, Tennant, Coleman. It happened with John Simm a few years back when he was in two concurrent gritty dramas on BBC and ITV. I got confused what show I was watching.

Anyway, carry on...