Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to remember a piece of old learning/toy/talking book tech

Started by Goldentony, May 01, 2020, 02:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

Hello!

I'm trying to remember a big weird piece of electronic talking book equipment I had as a kid. I remember it was almost like a huge plastic yellow suitcase with a raised dome effect on the outside which opened up and you could insert different books that presumably read a barcode on the insert bit and you could then press things and interact with the story.

Anyone have a clue??

Cerys

Cerys

Going to need a bit more info.  Can you give me a rough year (fnarr)?

Cerys

Goldentony

Quote from: Cerys on May 01, 2020, 02:27:07 AM
Going to need a bit more info.  Can you give me a rough year (fnarr)?

Say around 1992/1993

Goldentony

Quote from: Cerys on May 01, 2020, 03:02:10 AM

This sort of set-up?

I can't see the picture but googled story reader and it does look similar to the big red thing. The setup was just a big yellow suitcase looking thing with grey or white handles that opened up and you inserted these thin books that I think had a tag you inserted into a slot somewhere on the big electronic book thing and it could recognise thiungs you pressed in the book

Jim Bob

Quote from: Cerys on May 01, 2020, 02:18:03 AM
This kind of thing

That the play button on that machine is backwards, bothers me more than it perhaps should.  It's Toys Я Us all over again!

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

WTF I hadn't seen this thread when I mentioned Sega Pico in the bits thread. Must be National Remember Sega Pico Day

Goldentony

Ferris

Goldentony

got excited there for a second but nah, imagine a yellow suitcase with grey handles, opens out, you place a book in the inside that fits, it slots one end into a mysterious hole and now you can press things in the book that make the story continue

NoSleep

That rings a bell. There was probably a TV ad campaign for whatever it was.

Replies From View

I'm glad the mystery is still open because that Sega Pico one looks proper shite.  Anyone with fond memories of that abomination would be dead to me.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on May 03, 2020, 11:32:07 AM
I'm glad the mystery is still open because that Sega Pico one looks proper shite.  Anyone with fond memories of that abomination would be dead to me.

Yeah did look bollocks to be fair

Goldentony

one of the voices was that posh english voice you hear as standard in some of those educational things, more of a Kenneth Connor southerner posh, not his cockney voice, one phrase was "press the motorboat" in a stern "PRRRESS...THE MO..tor...boat"

Sebastian Cobb

I had a less advanced version of this from the Early Learning Centre, it used some optical pen that would light up green or red for 'right' or 'wrong'.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on May 03, 2020, 11:32:07 AM

I remember playing on one in Toy Master. It was alright. A bit like one of those interactive kids books for your iPad, but 20 years before it's time. However, £150 for the console and £20 per book? Plus it hogs the telly? No chance, mate.