Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graphic novels or comics for childrens

Started by Brian Freeze, May 01, 2020, 11:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

Please could we have some recommendations for graphic novels or comics and cartoon collections for a mature seven year old. We'd normally go to the library but this isnt an option just yet. I will have to be buying some at this rate and would like advice on decent, imaginative and potentially thought provoking material and hoped to benefit from your help.

She has enjoyed Asterix, the Simpsons, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, 70's amd 80's annuals, the Far Side and numerous titles from the library in her age bracket but I dont know where to look next. She did enjoy a Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers recently but any more of those is probably bad parenting for a few years yet.

wasp_f15ting

I'd highly recommend Space Dumplins - the art is excellent and it is very easy to read. My daughter enjoyed it a lot.

chveik

Carl Barks' Scrooge McDuck, Lucky Luke, Tintin?

jobotic

My mum got my son a subscription for this a couple of years ago. Aged 9 now he's still enjoying it. It's a good mixture of styles and aimed at both boys and girls.

https://www.thephoenixcomic.co.uk/

Mister Six

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 02, 2020, 12:14:19 AM
You could try Bone?

This is what I was going to recommend - it's sort of like if three Looney Tunes characters got mixed up in The Lord of the Rings. Little bit scary, little bit dramatic (especially towards the end), but mostly very funny and charming. Beautifully drawn, too.

I got a lovely giant black and white edition years ago, but I believe they've been colourised since then.

samadriel

If she's passingly familiar with Superman and Batman (as in, she knows who they are), I recall "World's Funnest" by Evan Dorkin being a good all-ages chuckle. It's about Mr Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite chasing each other across the multiverse arguing who has the better nemesis and destroying worlds as they go, with a different artist illustrating every dimension. The variety of artists is fun, and, while it's a nice extra to know stuff about the DC Universe, I know almost nothing about it, and I loved it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_and_Batman%3A_World%27s_Funnest

Sin Agog

Shaun Tan's The Arrival, wordless though it is, is a very pretty tool to ensure your wean doesn't grow up to be an anti-immigrant Brexiteer.  Bought a few of these for illiterate/extremely dyslexic relatives so they can simulate the act of reading a book.

My little sister had a few graphic novels at that age by Raina Telgemeier that looked good and moral without being too wet- I particularly remember her digging Smile and Sisters.

The Complete Bone will get the most bang for your buck, though, for sure.  It does have a few mildly dark bits that may, if your child has a hyperactive imagination and is prone to nightmares, set them off, but it should be OK.

Pingers

The Phoenix weekly comic is great, often genuinely funny, and there are loads of spin off books. Looshkin is a favourite in our house. Our 9 year old loves the Phoenix and his 12 year old brother still reads it as well.

Pretty much anything by Neil Cameron is also good, like the Tamsin books

This is also really good

PlanktonSideburns

Sin Agog

Wonder if kids would still respond to Windsor McCay's original Little Nemo and Dream of the Rarebit Fiend strips?  I don't see why not.  Those things are wonderfully ornate creations.

There is the occasional ooga booga moment, though.

samadriel

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 02, 2020, 09:33:36 AM
Shaun Tan's The Arrival, wordless though it is, is a very pretty tool to ensure your wean doesn't grow up to be an anti-immigrant Brexiteer.  Bought a few of these for illiterate/extremely dyslexic relatives so they can simulate the act of reading a book.

Shaun Tan's short picturebook Cicada is pleasing to mine eye. It's not a comic, but is something quite good, if a touch misanthropic (good moral though), for the wee ones.

Brundle-Fly

If she has any emerging Goth sensibilities, then Lenore is perfect.

Thirded the Shaun Tan recommendations. Stephen Collins' debut is Roald Dahl-esque.

Any Sergio Aragonés is worth a look if she likes a giggle. See Al Jaffee collections too.

If she liked Asterix, has she tried Lucky Luke?

You mentioned she liked The Far Side, so she might go for Bizarro, but it's slightly lighter on animal whimsy compared to Larson.

Pink Gregory

M'partner's really into Giant Days; the writer/artist John Allison also did a series that skewed a little younger called Bad Machinery; I don't k ow much about it, but it's set in Sheffield.

Pink Gregory

Too early for Raymond Briggs, do you think?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: chveik on May 02, 2020, 12:15:57 AM
Lucky Luke?

Ah, chveik got there before me.

I wonder if she'd like Leo Baxendale's Willy The Kid books?  Actually, scratch that, I forgot they're out of print and just seen what the asking prices are. She might like LB's Sweeny Toddler though. That's available, fairly cheaply. In fact, Rebellion Graphic Novels from the Simon & Schuster website has some gems. I wonder what she'd make of Misty?

https://www.simonandschuster.co.uk/search/books/Imprint-Rebellion-Graphic-Novels/_/N-1z10j7v/Ne-ph4?Nao=20

Chriddof

Raina Telgemeier's stuff might be worth a go.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the post which already mentioned her.

Brian Freeze

Thankyou you lovely lot, we've signed up for Phoenix already and will look into the rest of the suggestions. Looking good so far though.

Phil_A

Spiral Bound might to do the job, charming little one-off story.

https://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Bound-Aaron-Renier/dp/1891830503

For something more substantial to get into, Gunnerkrigg Court is a webcomic that's being running for fifteen years and has run to seven collected volumes.

bushwick

I'd say any of Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey stories. Such lovely work, all-ages friendly, some of my favourite comics and would have loved them had they been around when I was a child. Don't get her any of his Maakies books just yet though...

Custard

Not sure if you have access to a tablet and Comixology, but they are currently giving away the entire run of Scooby Doo Team-Up for nowt. Meant to be very good

https://m.comixology.co.uk/series-list/11959/2