Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker - Lockdown Special [split topic]

Started by Tony Yeboah, April 22, 2020, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Yeboah

Brooker is Back https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/22/charlie-brooker-to-return-to-bbc-with-lockdown-special-antiviral-wipe

One of the key aspects of the series was the tight editing which might be difficult in the current circumstances, but great news that it is returning.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on April 22, 2020, 10:47:38 AM
great news that it is returning.

Is it? It's ok and it'll be quite nice to see what this is like but he's long ceased doing anything great.

Jumblegraws

Maybe that guy sees something I don't, but the 'Wipe series never struck as particularly politicised. If Brooker's a centrist dad, I can't imagine they'll be much in this show that'll give that away.

petril

still waiting for him to do his show in the same vein but about toilet paper

dirkgonnadirk

it's a single 30 minute special. watch it, have a few titters, move on. it won't be great and it's unlikely to be awful.

incidentally, 'THEY'LL CUM FOR A STILTON' still gets a decent amount of play in my household all these years later.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 22, 2020, 12:02:34 PM
Maybe that guy sees something I don't, but the 'Wipe series never struck as particularly politicised. If Brooker's a centrist dad, I can't imagine they'll be much in this show that'll give that away.

I think it's pretty impossible to make anything that covers the pandemic without savaging the way the government is handling it. I also think it'll be interesting to see if and how he covers the 'charitification' of the NHS, the years of lack of funding which means we now have to rely on nonogenarian's doddering round their gardens and the irony of tory voters and politicians who voted against nurses getting a pay rise now standing on their doorsteps and ringing bells to demonstrate their love for thing that they've helped to destroy through their own greed and ignorance.

Fambo Number Mive

Hopefully he won't focus on the US for most of the show. We all know what's happening in the US and it's more important viewers in the UK know about the UKs pathetic response.

Ferris

Jumblegraws

Quote from: gib on April 22, 2020, 01:18:22 PM
i agree with this guy
Bracing myself, but I don't think that joke is as partisan as it might seem. I took it as a value neutral bit of snark about the anti-semitism allegations generally, rather than an arch statement about their veracity one way or the other. If we're writing Brooker off for joining in with the shit-on-Corbyn bandwagon, the comments he made about JC being a bit crap on the 2016 Wipe or wherever it was makes for a better case-in-point.

I'm also looking forward to this latest thing.

Mango Chimes

News Wipe was bad and the Year Wipes worse. I'd watch him do a Screen Wipe about how TV is being recorded from home, and how some of it's shit and some of it's good, and how professional presenters are now all YouTubers and all that sort of thing. I won't be watching Cunk and Shitpeas say how 5G is behind coronavirus haahaa like idiots think not like you the clever viewer.

jsgibble

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 22, 2020, 08:36:00 PM
News Wipe was bad and the Year Wipes worse. I'd watch him do a Screen Wipe about how TV is being recorded from home, and how some of it's shit and some of it's good, and how professional presenters are now all YouTubers and all that sort of thing. I won't be watching Cunk and Shitpeas say how 5G is behind coronavirus haahaa like idiots think not like you the clever viewer.

Seconded. Screenwipe wasn't necessarily always brilliant but it had its moments. I suppose you could say the same for the news wipes though there aren't half gaps.

Unironically:

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on December 02, 2017, 02:16:23 PM
Celebrity Juice is better than Black Mirror.

canadagoose

What the fuck is "voxpoliticalonline", is this some kind of melt site like Wings or Wee Ginger Dug? Fuck them. Brooker forever.

I mean ffs:

QuoteIt was sad enough when Victoria Coren Mitchell did it, linking Labour with the anti-Semitic trope about a Jewish bankers%u2019 conspiracy. Because the Labour leadership has never suggested it believes anything of the sort, it was in fact she who committed the anti-Semitic slur.
Aaaaah he who smelt it dealt it!!!

Brundle-Fly

imitationleather

My mates on Facebook are all very excited about this, but will inevitably go very quiet when it turns out to be absolute bobbins.

It's just like when Boards of Canada release a new album.

gib

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 22, 2020, 08:28:37 PM
Bracing myself, but I don't think that joke is as partisan as it might seem. I took it as a value neutral bit of snark about the anti-semitism allegations generally, rather than an arch statement about their veracity one way or the other. If we're writing Brooker off for joining in with the shit-on-Corbyn bandwagon, the comments he made about JC being a bit crap on the 2016 Wipe or wherever it was makes for a better case-in-point.

Maybe you're right with that take but I'm not convinced. I will probably watch it too because when he's funny he's very funny, or at least he was.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 22, 2020, 08:28:37 PM

I'm not sure either, it was a shit joke and maybe the delivery was off, I don't actually know what he was going for.

If it was something like "...the Labour party is in a state of denial...

...but the way the media are handling this, you'd think it was about the holocaust."[nb]I am not a comedian[/nb]

then it would be clearer (but still shit).

Instead it was just a baggy, smarmy panel joke that landed extremely badly. I didn't quite get that it was fully buying into the BBC's shit handling of the whole affair though.

Thomas

That same week (I think) a Tory candidate had been suspended for holocaust denial. That might feasibly have been the butt of the joke, but it wasn't a big story for some reason.

Honestly, though, I don't think any more thought went into it than: 'there's some Labour-antisemetism in the news at the moment. Ergo, holocaust joke'. Lazy panel show filler.

Looking forward to this. The latter-day Wipes were gentle, inoffensive family viewing, but I love Screenwipe. Nocturnal and slightly out-of-the-way. I haven't watched any current telly so this'll hopefully update me on all the cringey celebs and unity-inspiring adverts.

Malcy

Thursday 14th May 9pm on BBC2 for the Antiviral Wipe.

Dr Syntax Head

Cocks of advertising will be revived and will be about the sad piano home video disease we have to endure now

Cuntbeaks

Well, the source material is absolutely ripe for the bantz, he can't really go wrong to be fair.

As long as Are Boris gets the living cunt edited/kicked out of him, I'll be happy.

weekender

Hang on, so that's both the Antiviral Wipe (9pm) and the new Down The Line special (11pm) on the same day (14th May)?

Awesome :)

They should get Brooker to phone into Down The Line somehow, if they haven't already.  Don't know who "they" are.

wooders1978

As he's back on the bbc I don't think an article about his career being "ended" has much credibility

My view on this, it will be something new to watch that,all being well, will be at least half decent, if it's not, I'll switch it off and probably not think of it again, pass coming on here to slag it off with my banter queens

Malcy

That was great. Hope he's up for doing more in the future.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on May 14, 2020, 10:12:02 PM
That was great. Hope he's up for doing more in the future.

Ditto this. Like many I'm exhausted by the whole lockdown situation but I thought the show was superb, really funny stuff which made me laugh a lot.

PaulTMA

That had far more drive and lols per minute than an obligatory end of year special