Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker - Lockdown Special [split topic]

Started by Tony Yeboah, April 22, 2020, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Anyway of knowing what music was used in this show? i know there is but I'm a bit lazy tonight.

PaulTMA

Think Simon May's Howard's Way theme showed up at some point

phes

Found this a bit fruitless, though it picked up a bit in the second half. It felt a bit redundant, rushing this out while it's all so fresh in the mind and so many of the jokes have been made many times over and better on social media. Much higher hopes for Down the Line...

So much easy to write Cunk and Shitpeas filler material. I'd rather just have had a half hour show than sit through that.
The rest was surprisingly decent though.

peteprodge

Very good indeed, underlining his comedic credentials.

What also comes out very well, unlike most lockdown material, is that all three main contributors know how to make television, hence they were, in less-than-ideal circumstances, very well framed, lit and presented. I could quibble about the echo on the sound for Ali Campbell/Barry Shitpeas, but hey, it was pretty damned close to The Before Times when it comes to television.

Still can't understand the rest of this thread, or indeed forum, with its boner for Corbyn-flavoured Labour.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wasn't aware of that Elton John thing happening. He sounded like he'd just had a tooth out under local anaesthetic and his face was still numb.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Yeesh I really felt that was a forced, unpleasantly laboured piece of work

Noodle Lizard

This was fine, I thought, especially for something that's been put together in a month or two. Could've done with being twice as long.

I knew someone who worked on a couple of the Yearly Wipes as a researcher and if the process was anything similar to what he described, doing it all remotely would be a hell of a task.

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 14, 2020, 10:56:21 PM
Anyway of knowing what music was used in this show? i know there is but I'm a bit lazy tonight.

Cunk's Moments Of Wonder bit had Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel under it. I've been hearing that one a lot lately, I think it was also in the finale of The Good Place.

Jockice

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 15, 2020, 12:33:16 AM
So much easy to write Cunk and Shitpeas filler material. I'd rather just have had a half hour show than sit through that.
The rest was surprisingly decent though.

Oh come on, she thinks it's called the coronOvirus. Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, most of the rest of it was okay.

Mobius

I enjoyed that, some funny bits. Thought Cunk and Shitpeas were some of the best bits

Delighted to see Jockice arrive right on queue to remind everyone he hates Cunk

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 14, 2020, 10:56:21 PM
I'd like to know what the music was under the Cunk & Shitpeas Corona virus bit. It was a really melancholy bit of 80s whiteboy reggae, possibly a telly theme tune. It's really familiar, but I am struggling to recollect where it was from.

Jockice

Quote from: Mobius on May 15, 2020, 07:18:03 AM
I enjoyed that, some funny bits. Thought Cunk and Shitpeas were some of the best bits

Delighted to see Jockice arrive right on queue to remind everyone he hates Cunk

It's traditional! Custom and practice. And it's not so much hatred as total bafflement.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mobius on May 15, 2020, 07:18:03 AM
right on queue

A long line of lentil- munchers, imploring us to save the whale, become vegan and not buy " The Sun".
( cue Mobius calling me a pedantic cunt.)

PlasticTom

Very funny, and actually felt quite important in its laying out of the contradictions and disastrous decisions that have got us here. It's nothing that hasn't been said, but to see it packaged together, in 45 mins, with dick jokes, will be a useful thing to exist.

The Tintin-related description of Chris Whitty had me howling

the science eel

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 15, 2020, 02:22:30 AM
Yeesh I really felt that was a forced, unpleasantly laboured piece of work

Charlie Brooker? really?!?

Timothy

Absolutely hilarious. Cunk and Shitpeas were also great. Really enjoyed this.

phes

Quote from: the science eel on May 15, 2020, 08:25:44 AM
Charlie Brooker? really?!?

No I think that was in response to Elton John's I'm still Standing performance?

Incidentally, fun was poked at this in the very funny Tash Demetriou Buxton podcast, about 26m on the Spotify release

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0mknSVn1El65NzQGBwQhY0?si=IKIKsv-lS5KfRBcI_rUlJA

chveik

Quote from: phes on May 15, 2020, 08:38:12 AM
No I think that was in response to Elton John's I'm still Standing performance?

Incidentally, fun was poked as this in the very funny Tash Demetriou Buxton podcast, about 26m on the Spotify release

watch this if you haven't already

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 21, 2020, 09:28:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hie_0jxwHi8&feature=youtu.be

Quote from: Bently Sheds on May 15, 2020, 08:00:00 AM
I'd like to know what the music was under the Cunk & Shitpeas Corona virus bit. It was a really melancholy bit of 80s whiteboy reggae, possibly a telly theme tune. It's really familiar, but I am struggling to recollect where it was from.

'Marguerite' by Barry Morgan, better known as 'The Gallery' music in Take Hart from the early 80s.

canadagoose

I thought it was pretty funny. I wish we had more Wipes these days. I do fear he's getting a bit too #FBPE though - the stuff about the "Boris bus" just seemed stale and only really something Twitter centrists care about. I'm glad he got stuck into Johnson in general, though.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Hooverbag Sherlocks on May 15, 2020, 08:44:28 AM
'Marguerite' by Barry Morgan, better known as 'The Gallery' music in Take Hart from the early 80s.
YES!! Thank you so much. I notice he used the old Vision On gallery music in a later segment.

Retinend

Why did I never notice Cunk's neck mole before this?

Mr_Simnock

I'm after the music in the show because of a short woodwind peice that I think is called 'C'mon in' by the European Sound Stage Orchestra. Now when I look for this on Utube I get a coompletely different peice of music. Neil used to play the tune back when he did CaB radio and I have struggled since to get a copy from somewhere. I thought the show on the whole was rather good, gave me quite few chuckles - I loved the I will be 50 soon comments. Weirdly enough I did think the music on the show in the back ground was , in a way, a bit CaB centric, most of the tracks I had heard first via this very forum.

olliebean

Quote from: justin_bennett on May 15, 2020, 11:40:06 AM
There's a list of the music used here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j4bl

Far from complete, unfortunately. It wouldn't have helped Bently Sheds with his query.

Pseudopath

Quote from: olliebean on May 15, 2020, 11:58:31 AM
Far from complete, unfortunately. It wouldn't have helped Bently Sheds with his query.

Yeah...doesn't have Satie's Gymnopédie No.2 or or Arvo Pärt's Spiegel im Spiegel for a start and they're Wipe stalwarts.

Malcy

Interview with Brooker.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-05-15/charlie-brooker-antiviral-wipe-left-out/

Talks about a few things that didn't make the cut and says that a Philomena Cunk series was due to start filming before  the virus and would have been filmed around the world.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A bit like the last few wipes I thought it was quite 'on rails' and lacked a spark. These times are so dark and we needed a programme that fought fire with fire. It didn't subvert enough, it was safe and in a couple of places actually depressing to relive so soon.

ollyboro

Was this filmed after Trump's bleach bollocks speech? Cunk speculating on the possibility of tiny doctors fighting the virus from inside an infected body reminded me of the orange oaf's thoughts about getting ultraviolet lights into a body through the skin or some other way.