Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Charlie Brooker - Lockdown Special [split topic]

Started by Tony Yeboah, April 22, 2020, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Retinend on May 15, 2020, 10:15:03 AM
Why did I never notice Cunk's neck mole before this?

Now you'll never unsee it and your eyes will be naturally drawn to it every time she's on screen. Trust me on this one.

jsgibble

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 15, 2020, 01:26:21 PM
A bit like the last few wipes I thought it was quite 'on rails' and lacked a spark. These times are so dark and we needed a programme that fought fire with fire. It didn't subvert enough, it was safe and in a couple of places actually depressing to relive so soon.

The second Cunk / Shitpeas segment felt a bit more detached to me, as if the programme was looking back at something that was over now.

Quote from: ollyboro on May 15, 2020, 01:46:01 PM
Was this filmed after Trump's bleach bollocks speech? Cunk speculating on the possibility of tiny doctors fighting the virus from inside an infected body reminded me of the orange oaf's thoughts about getting ultraviolet lights into a body through the skin or some other way.

I'd imagine that was more inspired by Innerspace than Trump.

mjwilson

Quote from: ollyboro on May 15, 2020, 01:46:01 PM
Was this filmed after Trump's bleach bollocks speech?

Yes, it's quoted on the show.

Loved Cunk's pleased nod at "that's a really good question".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 15, 2020, 02:56:11 PM
I'd imagine that was more inspired by Innerspace than Trump.

Or Fantastic Voyage, which was the inspiration for Innerspace.

ollyboro

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 15, 2020, 07:25:26 PM
Or Fantastic Voyage, which was the inspiration for Innerspace.

Or The Numskulls, from The Beezer.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Malcy on May 15, 2020, 12:59:22 PM
Interview with Brooker.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-05-15/charlie-brooker-antiviral-wipe-left-out/

Talks about a few things that didn't make the cut and says that a Philomena Cunk series was due to start filming before  the virus and would have been filmed around the world.

Quote"We had a couple of bits in the show that we took out actually, about how when Robert Peston starts asking a question at those briefings it's like someone's put on an audiobook," Brooker explained to GQ.

"And so there's a bit where I'm staring at my phone and realise that I've managed to get bored during a pandemic."

A great loss to the show.

Pingers

I found it a bit underwhelming. The only bit that made me proper laugh was the Cunk bit with the squirty cream [not now, perverts]. Make of that what you will.

pigamus

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 15, 2020, 02:01:52 PM
Now you'll never unsee it and your eyes will be naturally drawn to it every time she's on screen. Trust me on this one.

Cunk's Mole would be a good name for a real ale.

idunnosomename

did it have the second movement from beethoven's 7th

ajsmith2

It was interesting to see Brooker include brief skits from his home life, inc acknowledging he's married to Konnie Huq. Well why shouldn't he esp in these times but it was interesting as the most open admission yet that he's no longer able to play the 'disposessed every viewer' role his earlier programmes were structured around and has to cop to being himself.

Have to admit I thought the doctor in the Cunk interview was Corbyn on very first
glance. Talk about this forums 'boner for Corbyn flavoured Labour!'

I think the cunk and shitpeas stuff feels so dated now considering the brasseye it was ripping off in the first place is nearly 30 years old.

Thought Brooker was on form! Wanted 30 more minutes of him moaning and less Nathan Barley wank.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on May 16, 2020, 04:00:02 AM
I think the cunk and shitpeas stuff feels so dated now considering the brasseye it was ripping off in the first place is nearly 30 years old.

Thought Brooker was on form! Wanted 30 more minutes of him moaning and less Nathan Barley wank.

It's never been anything like Brass Eye. Which Charlie Brooker wrote for.

Are we going to have a fight?

Is this a fight?

NAME THE CARPARK

peanutbutter

Why did he keep going back to that awkward door handles bit?

Duckula

This was toothless shite that will be completely forgotten about.

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 16, 2020, 12:18:51 AM
did it have the second movement from beethoven's 7th

No, but it did have a simplified version of the Moonlight Sonata.

chveik

Petey Pate

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 16, 2020, 02:45:58 AM
It was interesting to see Brooker include brief skits from his home life, inc acknowledging he's married to Konnie Huq. Well why shouldn't he esp in these times but it was interesting as the most open admission yet that he's no longer able to play the 'disposessed every viewer' role his earlier programmes were structured around and has to cop to being himself.

This might have been deliberate bait for the section of his online fanbase that claims that Brooker is 'out of touch and has lost it' due to being married.

maett

thenoise

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 15, 2020, 11:44:13 AM
I'm after the music in the show because of a short woodwind peice that I think is called 'C'mon in' by the European Sound Stage Orchestra. Now when I look for this on Utube I get a coompletely different peice of music. Neil used to play the tune back when he did CaB radio and I have struggled since to get a copy from somewhere. I thought the show on the whole was rather good, gave me quite few chuckles - I loved the I will be 50 soon comments. Weirdly enough I did think the music on the show in the back ground was , in a way, a bit CaB centric, most of the tracks I had heard first via this very forum.

I was going to ask which jokes he nicked from CAB this time.  Turns out he has just been hanging out in osc. this year.  Fair enough.

M-CORP

Saw it this morning. Thought it was OK and had a laugh. The only bits I can remember are the stuff with Konnie Huq, but there are some good laughs elsewhere (just remembered as I type the bit with Brooker making judgements about the interviewers' backdrops, I found that relatable and very enjoyable).

As was the case with the Yearly Wipes, my least favourite parts were the bits with Cunk and Shitpeas (although the aerosol gag was hilarious). Those bits just never seem to fit, and they make the programme feel like it's coming to a halt. (It isn't that I hate those characters, I enjoyed Cunk On Britain, but that isn't what I watch and enjoy the Wipes for, I watch them to see Brooker himself shouting at the TV).

But yeah. It was OK. I would have to agree with Duckula that we'll have probably forgotten about it in a week. But then I also wouldn't be surprised if museums decide to use this as a historical document of our time when they do exhibitions on Covid in 2100. Please allow me to have these two contradictory thoughts.

The Brass Eye Special was (for me at least) similar in its comedic novelty (or lack of - lines that originally make you laugh pass you by the third time round) and is still talked about now as a stunning portrait of its time and the subject matter it addresses. This could go the same way. You never know.

phes

Quote from: M-CORP on May 16, 2020, 02:22:10 PM
then I also wouldn't be surprised if museums decide to use this as a historical document of our time when they do exhibitions on Covid in 2100. Please allow me to have these two contradictory thoughts.

This could've/should've been Gogglebox. Pandemic occuring mid-series was a dream come true for time-capsuling. Sadly the producers seemed to concentrate on coronavirus much lighter relatively speaking than I expected, perhaps a decision to protect the mental health of participants

keir

Quote from: M-CORP on May 16, 2020, 02:22:10 PMBut yeah. It was OK. I would have to agree with Duckula that we'll have probably forgotten about it in a week. But then I also wouldn't be surprised if museums decide to use this as a historical document of our time when they do exhibitions on Covid in 2100. Please allow me to have these two contradictory thoughts.

In my memory, having watched it once, it feels weirdly like a straight summary of what the news was over a period of time for information purposes with the odd satirical take here and there if anything came to him.

Brundle-Fly

I thought it was very good. I liked his dismissive attitude about the first breaking news in China and only finally taking it seriously when Tom Hanks caught Covid-19. The door handle licking had me creasing up for some reason. We're really getting to see Cunk's petulance now. The interview was one of her best. 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phes on May 15, 2020, 12:11:48 AM
It felt a bit redundant, rushing this out while it's all so fresh in the mind and so many of the jokes have been made many times over and better on social media.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare an episode of a satirical TV show to the witty sideways takes that one could cherry-pick from the vast social media collective. Also a lot of viewers don't have time or the inclination to trawl through Twitter and Facebook for the latest Coronavirus zinger.

massive bereavement

I thought it had a strong opening 15/20 minutes or so but it dragged towards the end. Three servings of Cunk/Shitpeas was a bit much (Love Diane Morgan, not so sure about Shitpeas and still miss Stanhope). Should have been 30 mins rather than 40 but overall I enjoyed it and I hope he does another one at the end of the year.

ASFTSN

Cunk/Shitpeas - I've never laughed at anything these two have said, so this felt like a lot of it was filler to me.

dirkgonnadirk

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on April 22, 2020, 01:12:06 PM
it's a single 30 minute special. watch it, have a few titters, move on. it won't be great and it's unlikely to be awful.

i'm absolutely shocked, shocked i tell you, that this was accurate. (other than it later getting extended to 45 mins)

watched some 2006 wipe stuff on youtube afterwards. it was really great in its day but there were always segments that brought it to a shuddering halt way worse than cunk and shitpeas.