Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:06:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great Leveler

Started by Zetetic, May 02, 2020, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

These should actually be reported as Covid deaths when they happen, because they're avoidable deaths caused by the shit response of the government and the population to Covid.

If you didn't wear a mask and spread Covid a bit further for a bit longer, you're responsible for people dying from poverty.

If you ignored restrictions and spread Covid a bit further for a bit longer, you're responsible for people dying from poverty.

This should and could be over by now.

Zetetic

Once we reach the aftermath, I couldn't give a fuck about individuals' response - they've been taught by experience not to trust the government, and for many of those most likely to spread it, not trust that it'll give them the minimum support necessary to do the right thing.

Chedney Honks

Be great if they could trust their own fucking conscience.

Ferris

Quote from: flotemysost on May 03, 2020, 12:51:23 AM
This has been discussed in the homelessness thread, but the very fact that the official slogan the government have plumped for is #stayathome unintentionally but instantly demonstrates that we're not 'all in the same boat', as many people seem to be fond of bleating at the moment (often in the same tone as the well-meaning but ultimately useless 'everything happens for a reason').

We're in the same storm, but very much in different boats.

pancreas

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 30, 2020, 08:59:42 PM
Be great if they could trust their own fucking conscience.

Their own fucking conscience might involve an imperative to feed their family, so that they go into work because the government won't guarantee proper sick pay.

Chedney Honks

Feel like pure shit just wanna wear a mask on my chin to feed my family.

YOU DIED

Janie Jones

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 30, 2020, 10:35:21 AM
These should actually be reported as Covid deaths when they happen, because they're avoidable deaths caused by the shit response of the government and the population to Covid.

If you didn't wear a mask and spread Covid a bit further for a bit longer, you're responsible for people dying from poverty.

If you ignored restrictions and spread Covid a bit further for a bit longer, you're responsible for people dying from poverty.

This should and could be over by now.

I thought of this post when I saw this recent BBC article.

Burnley: 'Children ripping bags open for food' during pandemic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55133081

Chedney Honks

Yes, that is a direct consequence of this country's response to Covid. You're absolutely right.

Devastating.

Bernice

bgmnts

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 01, 2020, 02:42:13 PM
Yes, that is a direct consequence of this country's response to Covid. You're absolutely right.

Devastating.

Bit weird, this.

Chedney Honks

Eh? Fuck are you two on about?

You must have misread my tone by a mile.

That article shows EXACTLY the consequences of this fucking shit government and shit country's response to Covid. That's the fucking point of the article.

bgmnts

Apologies, read that as sarcastic.

Carry on.

Bernice

Fair play. If you will wrap every utterance in a million layers of 😂😂😂irony😂😂😂 then people will misread your tone, but I am sorry for having a pop.

Chedney Honks

I put the emojis so people know when it's actually a joke.

Bazooka

An American would stand no chance of spotting that sarcasm.

Zetetic

Stamp duty buggery has successfully widened the wealth gap.

Head Gardener

gone

Zetetic

I've no idea why you've posted that nonsense in this thread.

BlodwynPig

Clearly false. I saw 14 people perish from a single dog bite in the park last week.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Zetetic on December 30, 2020, 12:06:09 PM
I've no idea why you've posted that nonsense in this thread.

your right, it all makes no sense (to me) either, as it is all wrong

Zetetic

I'm assuming this is just a random attempt to wind someone else up, rather than an obtuse "lol poor people" jab or something.

Head Gardener

never occurred to me tbh, the chart shows one opinion, who to believe? Tories?

Zetetic

It's not an opinion, it's a set of lies. (The claim that only 377 people under 60 have been given a cause of death of COVID-19 in the UK is straightforwardly false.)

Why have you posted it in this thread?

Head Gardener

yeah, like I said your right, it's gone sorry for posting

Mr Farenheit

Well if it shows one thing it's not that Covid is a hoax, it's that cancer is a hoax! Turns out no-one dies of it all!
#NationalHysteriaService

Zetetic

It looks like the crude COVID-19 mortality rate in South Wales during October and November was about twice as high in the most deprived areas compared with the least deprived areas.

I emphasise 'crude'. The ONS puts out age-standardised figures - these tend to sort-of exaggerate the difference, because not only are people dying more often in more deprived areas, they're usually dying younger.

(I believe that the crude-mortality-gap has widened in recent months.)

pancreas

One question: how has it affected life expectancy by area?

Zetetic

Done gone down.  Presumably by more in deprived areas, due to more deaths and at a considerably younger age[nb]As implied, for example, by the ASMR being higher than the crude mortality rate.[/nb] in those areas.[nb]Yes, in theory, it might still be chopping more years off in less deprived areas given existing inequalities of life expectancy but this doesn't seem very likely.[/nb] (I imagine it'll be a while before anyone has a proper go at calculating this?)

What are you trying to understand?

(Life expectancy being a generally baffling statistic that obscures whatever is actually going on. Note all the challenges in making sense in exactly whose deaths and of what were actually driving down life expectancy in the UK in the last few years - e.g. small numbers of young-ish women dying of accidental overdoses, vs. large numbers of older women dying slightly earlier. Edit: Apologies if this came across as more aggressive than intended - it's just that I think it's one of those widely used metrics that extremely easy to hurt yourself on.)

Zetetic

pancreas

I'm trying to probe how the disease is redistributing wealth—even if that turns out to be in the wrong direction. (Ignore the top 1% for the purposes of this.) If you bump off a few rich 80yo's you may end up creating something relatively 'progressive'. Clutching at straws maybe.

Even if that's right, I'm not saying a pandemic is my preferred mechanism, btw. Clearly one would want to find an expensive care home and rag it to fuck with a flak cannon.