Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great Leveler

Started by Zetetic, May 02, 2020, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Not sure how life expectancy would reflect on that any better than mortality rate.

("Ecological", i.e. area-based, deprivation probably isn't ideal for your purposes either, since even within less deprived areas, it's likely to be more deprived people dying.)

QuoteIf you bump off a few rich 80yo's you may end up creating something relatively 'progressive'.
From a purely financial perspective, most deaths will be redistributive, I guess, insofar as some of any wealth will transfer to the state in the form of tax which will tend to spend it on providing services or cash benefits that are overwhelmingly progressive. Intergenerational transfers probably deserves more discussion, as to whether it's genuinely redistributive.

And killing of a lot of of very poor people might technically reduce personal wealth inequality, I suppose.[nb]Complicated very slightly by the fact that even quite poor 50+s tended to have accumulated some sort of net property wealth.[/nb]

It's just that it, you know, involves killing a bunch of poor people in virtue of them being poor.

Zetetic

pancreas

Mainly you might be able to characterise the deaths as somewhat poor and reasonably old. Millennials have fuck all of nothing, and they are not dying in any numbers at all.

Zetetic

I think that's pretty fair. Younger here is still 50+ by and large.

Zetetic

pancreas

That's just a picture of capitalism tho

Zetetic

Lockdowns under capitalism, yes.

The point is that the crisis intensifies and manifests prevalent inequality, for the most part.

Sin Agog

(Accidentally necrobumped this thread while reading it, but I might as well make a teddible joke while I'm here).

Quote from: Zetetic on January 05, 2021, 08:47:45 PM
The point is that the crisis intensifies and manifests prevalent inequality, for the most part.

I'm sorry, mate, but I just don't think this is borne out by the facts.  Extremely successful people are far more susceptible to Covid because they exhale at everything.

Zetetic

Three in eight adults (38% or 20.0m) have seen their financial situation overall worsen because of Covid-19; 15% (7.7m) have seen it worsen a lot. Groups that have been particularly hard hit include: the self-employed, adults with a household income less than £15,000 per year, those aged 18-54, and BAME adults.

Comparatively, the retired population has been better insulated from the financial impacts of Covid-19. This is perhaps not surprising as key sources of income for this group – the State pension and defined benefit pensions - have not changed

Between March and October 2020, the number of people with low financial resilience increased by 3.5 million from 10.7 million to 14.2 million. Those with low financial resilience now account for a quarter (27%) of adults.

https://www.fca.org.uk/publications/research/financial-lives-2020-survey-impact-coronavirus#lf-chapter-id-the-impacts-and-experience-of-covid-19