Author Topic: The Great Leveler  (Read 6259 times)

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
Re: The Great Leveler
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2021, 07:32:27 PM »
Not sure how life expectancy would reflect on that any better than mortality rate.

("Ecological", i.e. area-based, deprivation probably isn't ideal for your purposes either, since even within less deprived areas, it's likely to be more deprived people dying.)

If you bump off a few rich 80yo's you may end up creating something relatively 'progressive'.
From a purely financial perspective, most deaths will be redistributive, I guess, insofar as some of any wealth will transfer to the state in the form of tax which will tend to spend it on providing services or cash benefits that are overwhelmingly progressive. Intergenerational transfers probably deserves more discussion, as to whether it's genuinely redistributive.

And killing of a lot of of very poor people might technically reduce personal wealth inequality, I suppose.[1]

It's just that it, you know, involves killing a bunch of poor people in virtue of them being poor.
 1. Complicated very slightly by the fact that even quite poor 50+s tended to have accumulated some sort of net property wealth.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:44:41 PM by Zetetic »

Zetetic

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
Edit footnote fuck

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
Mainly you might be able to characterise the deaths as somewhat poor and reasonably old. Millennials have fuck all of nothing, and they are not dying in any numbers at all.

Zetetic

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2021, 07:50:05 PM »
I think that's pretty fair. Younger here is still 50+ by and large.

Zetetic

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »
That's just a picture of capitalism tho

Zetetic

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »
Lockdowns under capitalism, yes.

The point is that the crisis intensifies and manifests prevalent inequality, for the most part.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2021, 12:24:55 AM »
(Accidentally necrobumped this thread while reading it, but I might as well make a teddible joke while I'm here).

The point is that the crisis intensifies and manifests prevalent inequality, for the most part.

I'm sorry, mate, but I just don't think this is borne out by the facts.  Extremely successful people are far more susceptible to Covid because they exhale at everything.

Tags: