Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lovecraft Country

Started by Hand Solo, May 02, 2020, 08:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Jordan Peele and JJ Abrams do Get Out mixed with Lovecraft series for HBO. Sounds and looks a little bit on-the-nose, though doesn't it? An actual area on the map in the Deep South called Lovecraft Country and your typical cgi monsters in the woods?

Trailer

chveik

not sure I'm going to bother

the list of coming drama shows I might be interested in is getting very short.

phantom_power

It is based on a book isn't it? Sounds a bit like Castle Rock but with Stephen King swapped for Lovecraft

Dex Sawash

AND JJ ABRAMS pops up on trailer followed by lens flare. 

Dex Sawash

Also, Driving Miss Zombie

Puce Moment

Quote from: chveik on May 02, 2020, 08:33:40 PM
not sure I'm going to bother

the list of coming drama shows I might be interested in is getting very short.

I probably will bother, which is a depressing sign of the times.

Mister Six

The book is excellent. No idea about the show. JJ Abrams' name on a TV show could go either way - he's been behind great and mediocre stuff. Peele I'd be more excited about if the last thing he did was Get Out, but Us was so dreadful it made me seriously reconsider his sense of what makes for s good story.

Still, everything to play for, I suppose.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Mister Six on May 03, 2020, 03:43:32 PM
Peele I'd be more excited about if the last thing he did was Get Out, but Us was so dreadful it made me seriously reconsider his sense of what makes for s good story.

And there was his lacklustre re-make of The Twilight Zone.

Small Man Big Horse

This started last night, and here's the mini-review I wrote for my files: Based on the novel by Matt Ruff, this is a new HBO series set in the 1950's where racism's even more popular than it is currently, somewhat horrifyingly, and that's quite the issue for our three black leads as they're investigating a missing relative who was last seen in Massachusetts, near to where Lovecraft set his fiction, but then
Spoiler alert
racist cunts turn out to be the least of their problems as something otherworldly attacks
[close]
. Though depressing as hell in places I rated this highly, it's really well acted, scripted and shot, I've read one of Ruff's other books, Bad Monkeys, and that was a strong mixture of the real and the really odd, and so I'm quietly optimistic this will continue to deliver on that front, and I'm intrigued as to how it will play out.

I know some people were concerned by JJ Abrams involvement but as far as I can see he's only an executive producer, and didn't have any involvement when it came to writing or directing it, so I hope folks aren't put off it because of him.

wooders1978

Watched the first episode - not impressed, to be honest I feel a bit alienated and unwelcome as a white viewer by its content - & I am no far right snowflake

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 17, 2020, 08:55:49 PM
Watched the first episode - not impressed, to be honest I feel a bit alienated and unwelcome as a white viewer by its content - & I am no far right snowflake

What was it that made you feel alienated and unwelcome, out of interest? It's just that I didn't feel that way about it at all and don't quite understand the unwelcome aspect at all.

wooders1978

I just felt like it was just preachy and one note by peele and not for the first time, he has a lot of talent but he could storytell much, much better stories on the topic of racism and oppression and the issues it brings for African Americans that would be much more thought provoking than his broad brush woke crap he peddles out

Small Man Big Horse

How is it "Woke crap" though? I mean racism was fucking horrendous back in the fifties, there's a hell of a lot of evidence of that, so why not portray life in that way? The reason I ask is that I was really impressed by it, and the sense of dread it created in many a scene, but obviously that didn't apply with you and I'm trying to understand why.

wooders1978

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 17, 2020, 09:23:52 PM
How is it "Woke crap" though? I mean racism was fucking horrendous back in the fifties, there's a hell of a lot of evidence of that, so why not portray life in that way? The reason I ask is that I was really impressed by it, and the sense of dread it created in many a scene, but obviously that didn't apply with you and I'm trying to understand why.

I am not saying they shouldn't have portrayed it, I just feel he hasn't portrayed it very well and in a rather generic and unoriginal manner - I didn't find it remotely engaging or interesting and the program feels like it has been written for a more woke audience and not for someone more centrist like myself - as a result, I felt like I wasn't the audience peele wants = unwelcome

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 17, 2020, 09:33:42 PM
I am not saying they shouldn't have portrayed it, I just feel he hasn't portrayed it very well and in a rather generic and unoriginal manner - I didn't find it remotely engaging or interesting and the program feels like it has been written for a more woke audience and not for someone more centrist like myself - as a result, I felt like I wasn't the audience peele wants = unwelcome

Ah, that's fair enough I guess, I can't say I agree but I see where you're coming from.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched the first one last night. I can't say I felt unwelcome. I'll stick with it, my main criticism is it looked a little too polished with some slightly over the top 'vintage' colour grading and that it felt a little bit slow as an intro episode, it could've easily been whittled down to a tight 45 minutes. But that's often the case with first episodes, will continue to watch.

BlodwynPig

Is Shub-Niggurath in this?

letsgobrian

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 17, 2020, 09:33:42 PM

Misha Green is the showrunner, not Jordan Peele. Not JJ Abrams.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 18, 2020, 08:10:57 AM
Is Shub-Niggurath in this?

Yes.
Spoiler alert
Or something that looks very much like it, but it's a dream sequence right at the beginning.
[close]

chveik

lost interest when the
Spoiler alert
big scary monsters showed up. the more pulpy side of Lovecraft is the least interesting
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Is there a legit way to watch this in the UK?

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on August 18, 2020, 01:54:00 PM
lost interest when the
Spoiler alert
big scary monsters showed up. the more pulpy side of Lovecraft is the least interesting
[close]

I might be alone on this, but I much prefer it to the really racist side.

letsgobrian

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 18, 2020, 03:56:24 PM
Is there a legit way to watch this in the UK?

It''s on Sky Atlantic the day after it airs in the US.

Sebastian Cobb

MYTH: Piracy is Wrong
FACT: Comcast-owned Sky/NowTv is a big faceless corporation, which makes it okay!

holyzombiejesus

I would like to pirate but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to tech stuff. NoSleep kindly messaged me some pointers but I can't even get that to work. I downloaded something called bittorrent web but I can't even get it open. I feel like an old old man going in to a shop asking if he can buy an internet.

EDIT: I thought that perhaps I didn't need to to actually open the bittorrentweb thing so i googled this programme + torrent and registered with the website that I found that seemed to be offering it (YTS), but when I clicked through, it redirected me to a site that tried to show me 'How to Add or Remove Strikethrough Text in Google Docs'. I wish I could just go out and rent the video.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

ProvanFan

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 17, 2020, 08:55:49 PM
not impressed, to be honest I feel a bit alienated and unwelcome as a white viewer by its content

There's no way it will live up to this

Head Gardener

it was well filmed and probably gets better but got bored and gave up after 20 mins and watched  D U N E  instead

Josef K

Quite enjoyed this, especially once they started on the road trip, but agree that everything looked a bit too polished.
Just finished the brilliant Plot Against America, set a decade before this, and the sets actually felt lived in, something a lot of shows struggle with.